MonkeySeaII

Ocean City, MD

Anyone boat around OC MD?  We are playing in a softball tournament there this summer so we're going to spend a week there for our vacation.  Doubt I'll bother bringing my boat but curious if it's any good there???

One of my best friends has a place there and I put it on par with boating on the Jersey Coast. Not much water inside, especially at low tide. Pontoon boats, Jet Skis,  and no wake zones. Seacrets is fun as you anchor, wade in and sit at high-tops out in the water. Plenty of live music there. Fishing is good offshore, but our boats are not the best for that inlet and the rollers outside can be a bit big until you get several miles off shore. I say tow it here as I'm kinda on the way, drop it off, and spend your time in OC, then return a day or two early and enjoy the upper Chesapeake. I offer valet parking. Ha... m W

yeah, that's kinda what I figured.  Unless you have a true offshore boat, it's not ideal.  That's OK, lots of watering holes there for me to park my $^& at!

3 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

yeah, that's kinda what I figured.  Unless you have a true offshore boat, it's not ideal.  That's OK, lots of watering holes there for me to park my $^& at!

Offer still stands. Got plenty of room here to store your ride and trailer and a top rate launch ramp about 1,500 yards down the street. We dredged the entire bulkhead and paved the entry road last season, and you are about 400 yards from the bay with no reduced wake zones.   W

thanks for the offer.  We have to leave Friday 6/14 early AM for a late afternoon game.  We play Fri-Sun then spending the week at the beach.

21 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Anyone boat around OC MD?  We are playing in a softball tournament there this summer so we're going to spend a week there for our vacation.  Doubt I'll bother bringing my boat but curious if it's any good there???

Went down in 2015 to meet up with Rob and his wife and their 327SSX.  I usually go every April to attend the World Birding carving competition.  Love that place, even in the end of April but in the summertime, it is kicking it there.  When we went to meet up with Rob, I towed the boat all the way from Boston to OC and met him at his house (IIRC, it's near one of the bridges at the end of the strip that cross over the Chesapeake and onto the strip.)  That strip is awesome!  So many cool places to go to.

I haven't talked to him in a while and I don't think he's posted here in a long time, but he did sell his beautiful 327SSX and had a custom, fishing boat with quads (I forget what brand it was) built because he and his wife enjoyed fishing a lot more than just cruising, and he did some SERIOUS FISHING!  No idea how he kept that 327 in mint condition like he did with all the fish he was catching all the time, like this!

xXmp7CO.jpg

While he's catching sailfish, I'm catching skates lol!

2mL2j7k.jpg

He used to have a 287SSX and their house was right on the water and it was on a lift.  When he upgraded to the 327, he needed a bigger lift so he had that one built but kept the old one which worked out great for us!  Definitely a sweet setup.

PlGPV3I.jpg

YPGxmls.jpg

That area, though, is VERY SHALLOW!  A bit more shallow than I'm comfortable with, TBH.  This is no lie.

le84Une.jpg

That whole area is precariously shallow.

3P3Eium.jpg

oIAMrKm.jpg

Had a good time but all good things come to an end.  I think we stayed at the Fenwick Inn, it was about 5 minutes away from their house.  Left early in the morning to head back.

kaTdntk.jpg

1aCxtq0.jpg

17 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

thanks for the offer.  We have to leave Friday 6/14 early AM for a late afternoon game.  We play Fri-Sun then spending the week at the beach.

House here goes on the market April 1st +/-, so you may want to put a upper bay week on your bucket list before Mary and I head south. Great private launch facility, and secure storage here at the house for your rig while you enjoy the area. Some really nice bed and breakfast's have come on line and chain hotels at Kent Narrows are numerous, all within walking distance to the marinas. Baltimore, Annapolis, and Saint Michels can be fun too, but not my favorites. We are already looking forward to the Blue Angels on May 21, 22 and July 4th fireworks on the water. We did 4 displays last summer as the towns here stagger their celebrations.   W

with 2 girls playing travel ball now, I'm lucky if I get out on the boat at all!  Last summer I only put 20 hours on the boat!!  Of course the weather didn't help either!  We weren't able to go out much during the week and when we had free wknds, it rained.

13 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

with 2 girls playing travel ball now, I'm lucky if I get out on the boat at all!  Last summer I only put 20 hours on the boat!!  Of course the weather didn't help either!  We weren't able to go out much during the week and when we had free wknds, it rained.

It takes quite a bit of effort to tow a boat like that, too.  For me it was about 450 miles one way and 12 hours.  Without a boat it usually takes us 9 hours.  Next is Florida, maybe this fall we'll do a trip to hook up with some folks down there.  How long of a drive is it for you from PA to OC?

it's 4-1/2 - 5 hours for us to OC.  For about 6 years, we were towing down to NC (Lake Norman) for a 2 week vacation each summer.  That was about 10 hours.  But with travel sports, that's on hold for a while.  But yeah, I've had quite a few harrowing experiences making that trip to NC.  Lost an axle on the highway, blew out multiple tires, had the trailer tongue jack fall down on the road etc.  Hence, my motivation for buying a new aluminum trailer with heavier axles!!  Sad part was, my original trailer was a custom built Prestige and it was the most expensive I looked at.  It was right before they went out of business!

I hear that.  You can't help but constantly look in the rearview mirror and we stop quite frequently to check on everything.

Even though the kids' ball games are on the weekend and then you're staying there for the rest of the week, might be too much to also brining the boat.  If it was Florida, then it might be worth it the huge effort.  No knock on OC, but it's not tropical, even in the middle of summer. :)

4 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I hear that.  You can't help but constantly look in the rearview mirror and we stop quite frequently to check on everything.

Even though the kids' ball games are on the weekend and then you're staying there for the rest of the week, might be too much to also brining the boat.  If it was Florida, then it might be worth it the huge effort.  No knock on OC, but it's not tropical, even in the middle of summer. :)

yeah, the hassle, location and time of year make it not worth it.  We have to stay in a hotel Friday night since we play Friday, then move to our condo for the week on Saturday.  All while playing games Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  And I'm a coach so I have a truck load of equipment on top of everything else:lol:  But the best part is, our condo is on the boardwalk, crawling distance from several really good bars!!:beer-7687-1:

Oh you're a coach also?!  Yeah DEFINITELY forget about the boat. :haha-7383:

I love that boardwalk, know all about it.  Good times. :D

Loads of sies to see along the bay & both shore of the river.  Book early. Boat spaces / & rooms . Fills up about now.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:46 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

Sorry, just saw this!

I boat OCMD.  Plenty of good boating, although you have to know the water a bit.

Let me know what you need or are curious about and I'll fill you in!

On 2/7/2019 at 10:31 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

But the best part is, our condo is on the boardwalk, crawling distance from several really good bars!!:beer-7687-1:

But the games are in probably in Northside  Park on the other end of OC, lol!

4 minutes ago, OCMD2 said:

But the games are in probably in Northside  Park on the other end of OC, lol!

this tournament is so big that they have over 1/2 dozen field complexes from Northside park out to Salisbury.  There's like 200 teams total across the age groups.  I hope we get lucky and play at Northside but it's not likely.

Just now, MonkeySeaII said:

this tournament is so big that they have over 1/2 dozen field complexes from Northside park out to Salisbury.  There's like 200 teams total across the age groups.  I hope we get lucky and play at Northside but it's not likely.

Yikes.  I know the tournament you're speaking of.  My place is pretty close to Northside.  I never realized the tournament was that big!

8 minutes ago, OCMD2 said:

Yikes.  I know the tournament you're speaking of.  My place is pretty close to Northside.  I never realized the tournament was that big!

yeah, it's an annual tournament called Blast at the Beach.  OC is overrun with softball players:haha-7383:

2 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

yeah, it's an annual tournament called Blast at the Beach.  OC is overrun with softball players:haha-7383:

While you're down there, enjoy a bunch of those famous, Maryland steamed blue crabs bedded in tons of Old Bay seasoning!  Oh man, soooooooooo good.  I usually get a basket of 30 just for meself. :D

@Hatem . . . Had to chuckle when I saw you found 1.3 ft.  We try not to go there, lol.  :D

1 hour ago, OCMD2 said:

@Hatem . . . Had to chuckle when I saw you found 1.3 ft.  We try not to go there, lol.  :D

Oh man, I'm telling ya, I had to do the old index finger knuckle knock on that smartcraft gauge a couple of times followed by a loud WTF!? :haha-7383:

8 hours ago, Hatem said:

Oh man, I'm telling ya, I had to do the old index finger knuckle knock on that smartcraft gauge a couple of times followed by a loud WTF!? :haha-7383:

Maybe you should follow me next time.  I can get you to Assateague with hitting anything!  :D

11 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

Maybe you should follow me next time.  I can get you to Assateague with hitting anything!  :D

I bet you know the area like the back of your hand.  That's awesome, I love OC.  Like I mentioned earlier, we go down every April to the convention center for the Ward World Wildfowl Carving Competition and I've been competing there since 1996.  The last few years we haven't been down because I've been way too busy with the business to have anything to compete with, but we miss it quite a bit.  And the interesting part is for all those years prior to getting the boat, we were on land all the time and looked at all that water and always thought one day, we should boat this area and sure enough, when Bob said "come on down" we didn't hesitate.  That seems like a great spot for a Chaparral get-together because of all the members that live near or in that area.

We also went 30 miles off shore to a couple of wrecks that Bob knew of and fished them.  Had a huge sunfish approach the boat and just had a wale of a time.