jackbronson

mooring cover lining replacement

Hello,

my 2008 SSi came with the factory canvas set up including the mooring cover, all of it labeled Taylor Made.  The back third of the cover, which comes into contact with the sunpad, has a white lining sewn onto/into it.  the lining is a fabric that has a thin plastic coating, and this coating is what ends up laying on the sunpad.  I'm guessing the purpose is to prevent any black from the black canvas cover bleeding into the white vinyl of the sunpad.  after 10 years, this lining has basically fallen apart in a bunch of flakes and chunks.

any one else experience this and address or repair it?  the vinyl on this boat is pristine so I should get this fixed.

I can of course try Taylor Made, but don't know if that would be successful.  I'm not in an area where there are a lot of boat canvas repair places.

thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

53 minutes ago, jackbronson said:

Hello,

my 2008 SSi came with the factory canvas set up including the mooring cover, all of it labeled Taylor Made.  The back third of the cover, which comes into contact with the sunpad, has a white lining sewn onto/into it.  the lining is a fabric that has a thin plastic coating, and this coating is what ends up laying on the sunpad.  I'm guessing the purpose is to prevent any black from the black canvas cover bleeding into the white vinyl of the sunpad.  after 10 years, this lining has basically fallen apart in a bunch of flakes and chunks.

any one else experience this and address or repair it?  the vinyl on this boat is pristine so I should get this fixed.

I can of course try Taylor Made, but don't know if that would be successful.  I'm not in an area where there are a lot of boat canvas repair places.

thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Try Taylor Made first, they will be cheaper then going to a canvas shop.  Denny.

Any upholstery shop should be able to deal with that since you don't have any canvas shops near you.... 

Bingo Phillbo

BUUTT       The shop has to use the correct type of sewing thread.

Outdoor synthetics DO NOT stretch like indoor fabrics when wet & dried repeatedly in sunlight & molds. Cotton or any other organic will rot quickly.  Add in some harsh cleaners & washing. 3 M protectants or others. The plastic sheeting is important also

Sounds very simple job. Can be a sad experience. AS others have posted over the years.

YOU NEED TO KNOW exactly what materials are to be used or not. Fully your job as a DIY job.

I was incorrect on one thing: the "plastic" thin lining is against the underside of the canvas, not against the vinyl. the soft side is against the vinyl.

Its still a good to very good cover.  If I could source the lining I'd have it sewn by a shop around here.  the challenge is knowing what to call it when doing an online search.

A good shop will know what that protective plastic sheeting is called.  :)

I take a cover to the shop to eliminate any errors.

1 hour ago, jackbronson said:

I was incorrect on one thing: the "plastic" thin lining is against the underside of the canvas, not against the vinyl. the soft side is against the vinyl.

Its still a good to very good cover.  If I could source the lining I'd have it sewn by a shop around here.  the challenge is knowing what to call it when doing an online search.

Any chance you could post a picture? I’m not able to visualize what you’ve written. 

Find a local canvas shop, they'll be able to make you a new set-up. Calling Taylormade is just a waste of time.

My cover has the same inner lining. It`s kind of a felt like material. You should be able to fins something comparable at an upholstery shop or fabric shop. If not, maybe place an old towel under the cover as a protectant.

If you are near a marina, they should be able to recommend a canvas place.  Some of these canvas guys fly under the radar and you have to find them by word of mouth.

or you can email taylor made.  tms@taylormarine.com