Sign in to follow this  
SeanK

Engine Coupler Greasing

I have a 105 hours on my 2012 216 SSI and  did all the traditional maintenance: oil/filter, fuel filter, gear lube, grease steering and throttle shafts and pivot points.

Should I apply some new grease (specified by manual) to my engine coupler?   If so, approx how many pumps?

I have a 2012 Merc 4.3 MPI, Alpha 1

Also, I live in Louisiana so we never really have our boat “in hibernation” long since our winters are mild (today is 71F).   3 weeks was the longest between outings.   Therefore, do I need to change my fluids at least annually or just run hours?   I would think the latter.

Thanks

Yes, the coupler needs love too. Just be sure to utilize the proper lubricant as that is an extreme pressure application and a simple multi purpose grease will do more harm than good. This is the only place you will use this specialty lube on the entire boat.  You will need to crank the engine over by hand until the coupler grease fitting is pointing straight up. I mark the engine crankshaft pulley with a bright line so that I can position the coupler fitting easily in the future. The grease gun I use for this fitting has a lock on coupler end so I can hold the gun with both hands.    W

Lubricants / Sealants / Adhesives

Description                       Part Number

Quicksilver 4-Cycle 25W-40 Marine Engine Oil 92-802837A1 SAE 20W, 30W Or 40W Engine Oil Obtain Locally

Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube 92-802854A1

Extended Life Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze Obtain Locally

Quicksilver Special Lubricant 101 92-13872A1

Quicksilver Engine Coupler Spline Grease 92-802869A1

Quicksilver Corrosion Guard Spray 92-802878 55

Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine Lubricant With Teflon 92-825407A3

Quicksilver U-Joint and Gimbal Bearing Grease 92-828052A2

Quicksilver Power Trim And Steering Fluid 92-802880A1

Quicksilver Hydraulic Fluid 64-826485A1

Or Texaco H015 92-862014A1 SeaStar Hydraulic Fluid HA5430 Approved Hydraulic Chevron Aviation Fluid A Steering Fluids Mobil Aero HFA Obtain Locally Shell Aero 4 Fluid meeting MIL Specification H5606C

15 hours ago, SeanK said:

I have a 105 hours on my 2012 216 SSI and  did all the traditional maintenance: oil/filter, fuel filter, gear lube, grease steering and throttle shafts and pivot points.

Should I apply some new grease (specified by manual) to my engine coupler?   If so, approx how many pumps?

I have a 2012 Merc 4.3 MPI, Alpha 1

Also, I live in Louisiana so we never really have our boat “in hibernation” long since our winters are mild (today is 71F).   3 weeks was the longest between outings.   Therefore, do I need to change my fluids at least annually or just run hours?   I would think the latter.

Thanks

Just me Sean, but given the age of the boat, I highly recommend pulling the drive to inspect engine alignment, checking the bellows and then cleaning and greasing the yoke splines by hand. Greasing the engine coupler from the zerk fittings is okay, but pulling the drive every few years is a good idea, and very doable with an Alpha.

Mercury has superseded their engine coupler spline grease to their newer Extreme Grease which also replaces their gimbal bearing and u-joint grease. HIGHLY recommend getting Mercury tool part # 91-865232 (really cheap to buy) as it holds the shift cable end in place during installation of the drive.

Order of operation:

Step 1. Raise the drive and disconnect the speedo hose quick attach coupler. (gray push button)

Step 2. Lower to the drive to a horizontal position and place your shifter into forward gear.

Step 3. Follow videos below.

NOTE: I personally like to remove the trim cylinders from the anchor pins so the drive doesn't get scratched up when removing and installing the drive. Doesn't add a lot of time to the job either.

Image result for quicksilver extreme grease5aaebd1a99233_Alphainstalltool.jpg.853d707413a1dbbdad6111a4c3dd6215.jpgImage result for 27-94996q2

W, is there a concern with putting too much grease in the coupler?    

46 minutes ago, SeanK said:

W, is there a concern with putting too much grease in the coupler?    

The excess works its way into the void space in the transom plate and is not an issue. No seals to blow out as it's a simple male/female slip fit. 6 pumps of a standard grease gun is enough. I sent you a pm relative to manuals. Shepherd is suggesting you pull the drive which is always a good idea every 100 hours or 3 years. Manual will walk you through it W

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:21 AM, Shepherd1 said:

Just me Sean, but given the age of the boat, I highly recommend pulling the drive to inspect engine alignment, checking the bellows and then cleaning and greasing the yoke splines by hand. Greasing the engine coupler from the zerk fittings is okay, but pulling the drive every few years is a good idea, and very doable with an Alpha.

Mercury has superseded their engine coupler spline grease to their newer Extreme Grease which also replaces their gimbal bearing and u-joint grease. HIGHLY recommend getting Mercury tool part # 91-865232 (really cheap to buy) as it holds the shift cable end in place during installation of the drive.

Order of operation:

Step 1. Raise the drive and disconnect the speedo hose quick attach coupler. (gray push button)

Step 2. Lower to the drive to a horizontal position and place your shifter into forward gear.

Step 3. Follow videos below.

NOTE: I personally like to remove the trim cylinders from the anchor pins so the drive doesn't get scratched up when removing and installing the drive. Doesn't add a lot of time to the job either.

Image result for quicksilver extreme grease5aaebd1a99233_Alphainstalltool.jpg.853d707413a1dbbdad6111a4c3dd6215.jpgImage result for 27-94996q2

You give the best advice on this forum, hands down.  You don't get enough credit for it.  You offer it without cutting down others which is more than I can say about certain know-it alls around here.   

You can easily tell that fella in those videos is a well greased old-timer who really knows his stuff.   

On 2/10/2019 at 10:25 AM, Hatem said:

You can easily tell that fella in those videos is a well greased old-timer who really knows his stuff.   

Kind words - I believe that guy in the video and W has forgotten more than I'll ever know...

23 hours ago, Shepherd1 said:

Kind words - I believe that guy in the video and W has forgotten more than I'll ever know...

If you say so and I wouldn't take anything away with regards to that.  But delivery and especially communication skills (or lack thereof) are a major factor in the deserved praise that's given.  That tends to be severely lacking on the other side for some very strange and bizarre reason.  It's quite unfortunate, actually.  But I digress.  

Looking at the paused, starting image on those videos and I noticed that Rule pump mounted on the outside of the transom.  I've never seen that before and it looks like it's plumbed to something on the cockpit.  Any ideas how that's being used?  Is it filling a live well or something like that?

4 hours ago, Hatem said:

Looking at the paused, starting image on those videos and I noticed that Rule pump mounted on the outside of the transom.  I've never seen that before and it looks like it's plumbed to something on the cockpit.  Any ideas how that's being used?  Is it filling a live well or something like that?

I saw that, too. I thought maybe he moved it out of the way for some reason, although I don't know out of the way of what.

17 hours ago, tomnjo said:

I saw that, too. I thought maybe he moved it out of the way for some reason, although I don't know out of the way of what.

lol, I didn't even think of that.  It looks like it's perfectly mounted onto the transom that it didn't occur to me he might've just popped it out of the bilge and it just happen to lay perfectly on the transom.  I watched the 3 videos again just to see if he bumps into it or it moves, but he/it doesn't. 

Although, if you look at the first video still again, there's that transom-mounted transducer to the far left, then there's an aluminum pipe of some sorts that seems to be mounted to the transom with that green, plastic clip and the hose to the Rule pump is zip-tied to that pipe.  So I think it is mounted to the transom.  Question is, why?