BoatMclovin

1st New Boat purchase Advice - H20 Surf

Hi All,

Just looking for some general advice on making my first boat purchase, to make sure I’m not making a very costly mistake. Although all signs point to yes :)

Im looking to get into wakesurfing, at an afforable price. Havent been able to find many options under $75k other than the Chaparral H20 Surf series. I’m strongly considering the 21’ H20 Surf. 

Found a new one and negotiated down to around $55k for standard 240 hp Volvo penta engine but with a few other options including upgraded trailer, ballast tanks.

First- has anyone actually wake surfed the H20 Surf boats? Are they recommended for beginners? Do they create a good enough wake, and as you improve?

Also, I’m not sure if ill want to upgrade the boat in roughly 5 years,  but if I do, I’m seeing awful comments on depreciation for new boats in the first few years, which would make it very tough to sell.

I cant seem to find any used H20 surfs since they are fairly new, but is it accurate to say this boat will lose nearly half its value in 5 years?

My calculations show Ill still owe about $40k on my loan in 5 years, boat will be worth ~$30k, will be forced to take a ~$10k loss just to sell.  Is this what most new boat buyers have to deal with?

Thanks so much!

Welcome to being a boater that needs a specialized boat. 

Need a huge wake with nothing odd ball ?  Drive a short fat ,wide cruiser.  The ones that CAN NOT climb on top of the water.  The one that people on docks give the middle finger to as they drive by at any speed. 5 or 10 K will be more than en ough..  No depreciation.

Drive several sizes. bigger ones are fantastic party boats. still 5 to 10 K.

If your worried about depreciation then boating may not be for  you, especially if you are looking for new.

Wakesurfing is an expensive activity.  I'd be looking for a used surf boat, not a new compromise boat.

45 minutes ago, VAboater said:

find a used Axis.

Thanks! I did look at the Axis, which i do like, but even the used ones Im seeing are more money than the NEW 21’ H20 surf boats. I could be wrong, but something used with 400+ hours seems like a risk in terms of maintenance/repair costs.

I guess it depends on how badly (and how well) you want to surf.  Feedback thus far from 'runabout' owners with surf packages has been less than compelling.

I personally have no experience with a runabout with a surf package, but I've surfed from a 24' Axis and a 21' Mastercraft, both with additional ballast tanks.  I found the 21' Mastercraft a bit difficult to find the sweet spot, while the 24' Axis wake was much larger.

Best of luck with your search.

The wakes they throw can go to court for damages caused by them.  If you get one ?  Do not drive & throw a wake where I dock. The bunch of geezers I live with are on a first name basis with the USCG & wake throwers.

Find a safe  out of the way bay where no one will require a ticket to be issued. PLUS it will protect the skiers from a cruiser on auto pilot. The driver was busy mixing drinks fpr his guests. No one saw the skier or small boat  stopped together.

I bought a 21 H20 2 years ago (it’s a 2017 model but not a surf).  We paid $43k including everything but tax.  We love the boat but of course it isn’t big enough :rolleyes:

As I have been shopping replacements, it looks like I am going to get about $37500 max for trade in. And I understand sometimes they may say you’re getting more for your trade and then jack up the new boat but this amount factors that in.

So no experience on surfing but there’s an idea on depreciation...10-15% in 2 years 

2 hours ago, brclark82 said:

I bought a 21 H20 2 years ago (it’s a 2017 model but not a surf).  We paid $43k including everything but tax.  We love the boat but of course it isn’t big enough :rolleyes:

As I have been shopping replacements, it looks like I am going to get about $37500 max for trade in. And I understand sometimes they may say you’re getting more for your trade and then jack up the new boat but this amount factors that in.

So no experience on surfing but there’s an idea on depreciation...10-15% in 2 years 

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, that confirms my suspicion exactly. Im sure it stings losing over $5k so soon, and despite someone else’s comment saying boating may not be for me ( which i disagree with) i still say thats real money leaving your pocket. If you are not a millionare, but want to still get a new boat on a budget, im simply saying this sunk cost should be considered.

As a first boat it seems hard to confidently know in advance if that boat will meet your needs. I too am debating in a 21 or the 23 foot H20. Theres apparently no boat rentals for anything but cheap pontoon boats at least in my area, preventing from doing an actual day long test drive. 

Good luck finding a replacement boat!

Wasn't trying to rain on your parade, just stating that being a boat owner is quite expensive. The outflow of cash never seems to stop.