yogi799

New boat prices through the roof. Insane. What happened?

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

the fact that in 3-5 years most boats will lose half their value potentially more.

I have not been seeing this, but quite the opposite. Yes, there is still some depreciation, but with new boats averaging a 5%-7% price increase p/yr over the past 10 years, the secondary boat market is SMOKING HOT! Im seeing 5-10 year old boats selling for close to what they sold for new. Not their MSRP mind you, but what the average selling price when new.  This is not across all boat types, but it is in some. Inboard tow boats and pontoons are hot right now. 

2 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

I have not been seeing this, but quite the opposite. Yes, there is still some depreciation, but with new boats averaging a 5%-7% price increase p/yr over the past 10 years, the secondary boat market is SMOKING HOT! Im seeing 5-10 year old boats selling for close to what they sold for new. Not their MSRP mind you, but what the average selling price when new.  This is not across all boat types, but it is in some. Inboard tow boats and pontoons are hot right now. 

Some models you are right, in that case I would  then say you are crazy to pay almost what new is, but hey is what it is.  After looking at MSRP prices and boat trader/ ebay I was right in general 5 year old boats were about 40-50% cheaper.  Of course people don't pay MSRP, but they aren't paying asking for used either.  So I would say in "general" my statement still stands.

Ive bought a lot of trucks, sleds, cars, trailers over the years and a 20-25% hit year one seems pretty spot on from what I found then anywhere from a 5-10% loss  per year after that until the item is 10-15 years old depending on what it is seems to level off.

3 hours ago, RoyR said:

With the New Green Deal, we will all have to use boats - supply and demand! :)

But they will all have to be sailboats......

We bought our 226 this time 7 years ago. Current NADA versus purchase price works out to be 22.35% depreciation. Not that bad. I think I've made worse investments in my 62 years and they weren't nearly as fun. Also kept my 3 kids and their friends close and made boaters for life.

21 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

Couldn’t agree more.  100% wheat I see.

Constant down sizing has also created a small boat shortage. My area since about 2010.  It became noticeable.

It's the tariffs stupid - which are responsible for a good chunk of price increases over the last two seasons. The world spits on US boats now so you have to close the boating industry P&L gap right here in the great USA. Pay up or shut up kind of equation.

No winners, they (Europeans, Canadians, etc) have to pay more, and you in US (reps, dems, everybody) have to pay more. Everybody is taxed extra on every "tariffed" material/component/product now. How stupid is that?

Retaliatory tariffs hit U.S. boating industry

Watch: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=7000065470

Same people who get the duty fees. Duty, tariff - the same thing.

Another form of tax placed on goods and paid by the consumer.

NMMA’s latest New Powerboat Registrations Report shows new powerboat registrations were up 4.2 percent in 2018 compared to 2017. 

Tow boats and personal watercraft remained growth leaders, up 10 percent and 8 percent respectively and accounting for nearly 30 percent of new boat unit sales. Registrations of new outboard boats, which comprise 64 percent of total new boat sales, were up 3 percent YOY.

100' and larger vessels are up more each year since 2008 depression began. The  super rich get more & bigger. 

The rest ?  Only another 200 blows into the inflation tube.

Oh well.

I was at the Buffalo boat show last night. Not to bad. Of course my favorite future hopeful, Sig270, was on display. Other large boats were there. Pontooners took up half the space but this time, they put them at the back half instead of the front half like previous years. 

While looking at different ads, I came across this one which showed a 1988 Chap compared to a 87 Bayliner…...had to laugh at the prices of both.

My fingers are pointed at both in question:

IMG_1241.JPG.a6f1ef317625d452dc551a8df78d1c2f.JPG

I don't know why this uploads sideways into this site. But I've given up on trying to fix it.   Now that it's posted, am I allowed to post this?