yogi799

New boat prices through the roof. Insane. What happened?

Hey guys, something has just shocked me. My 2011 Bayliner 175 brand new here in Canada was 16k, now it is 35k.

My 2013 Sunesta 244 was 65k in 2013, now it is 110k. WHAT HAPPENED???

I get our dollar has lost some value but not to account for almost a 100% price increase. Do you see the same thing in the USA with US dollar when it comes to new boat prices?

I consider myself a lottery winner. Stunning boat, brand new, was 65k, almost twice as little as they sell for now (i.e. i would never own one had i entered the market now).

What gives? Booming economy of the last 4-5 years or ???

If people keep paying those prices they will continue to go up. I was going to buy a new truck until i started shopping. Not pay the price on them either. 

I noticed the same thing. I was looking at a 2010 sunesta 244 and the MSRP was like 60k back then and I wanted to see what the new prices are and its ok ver 100k 

Not nearly enough people vote/speak with their wallets, IMO.  

Too many lemmings doing/believing what they're told.

5 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Not nearly enough people vote/speak with their wallets, IMO.  

Too many lemmings doing/believing what they're told.

nod.gif

11 hours ago, Chap243 said:

Buy used is what I do.

Agree... No reason to pay the prices they are asking and then take a huge hit in value the first time you make a wake....... 

Boat market has been in decline for years, companies keep going out of business.  For one its less competition, second less boats are being made they have to make more per unit.  If you follow the auto industry they are slowly losing sales because of prices, and autos are things people need boats aren't.  Boat industry is going down the same road.  I have never bought a new boat and don't know anybody that has beyond a small 15-20k aluminum fishing boat.    What is really atrocious is pontoons, 120k for a pontoon?

Boat market will come down to earth, the sport is slowly wasting away, and I think its mainly due to cost.  Think you got 5-10 years left until you see a monster change in the market mainly due to cost but also because of buyers.  Younger buyers are more practical in their spending and wont be dumping 6 figures on boats, they just wont.  Your always going to have your pockets of wealth that provide some relief but that's not going to hold a market up.  Nothing against anybody here, but 60-70k for an average 22-24ft run about boat, yeah have to be from mars to think asking and paying that is a good idea.  30-40k is probably where the numbers should be, and your already seeing manufactures sell these economy boats per say,  just going to see more of it.

Financially for me, it`s just hard to justify spending six figures on a luxury item, not a necessity, that at least here in the Midwest, you can only use six months out of the year. I might feel different if I lived where you could boat year `round.

I have been wondering this same things for a few years now.  We just bought a used 330.  I couldn't dream of paying for one that size new.  obviously chaparral doesn't offer it now, but even the new 270 sig, equipped as most would want a cruiser is $170K msrp.  Crownline was another we were considering.  Their new 330 equipped similar to my 330 stickers at $350K.  that is so out of my ballpark I can't imagine.  and that's not even close to the Formula's which are $100k beyond that.  

it'll only be used for me at this point, as I just simply can't afford that level of toy payments...

1 hour ago, Chap243 said:

Financially for me, it`s just hard to justify spending six figures on a luxury item, not a necessity, that at least here in the Midwest, you can only use six months out of the year. I might feel different if I lived where you could boat year `round.

Yeah its hard to say who gets more market down south or up north.  States like Michigan I believe at one time had more registered boats then Florida at one point.  Going to be tough sledding when half of your target market only uses an item 90-180 days. 

Say what you want about the new generation but their spending habits are different than those before.  Look at studies and research the younger crop is saving more for retirement, and spending more practical, they want to pay for experiences and not things.  100k goes a long ways in terms of trips and vacations.  Boat market is sinking no pun intended.  Like I said 10 years its going to look at lot different.

I'd probably buy new if the costs didn't outpace growth and inflation.  My Sig 300 came out in 1998.  Chaparral carried the same design for I think six years.  According to boat test magazine articles, a Sig 300 comparably equipped to mine was about $92k.  In today's dollars, that is about $155k.  I don't think you could get the 270 today for that.  Maybe, but its not a twin and its three feet smaller in length.  I know there are more features on today's boats that cost more.  Like cars that have airbags, back up cameras, etc, the boating industry has made a lot of niceties standard.  Maybe the business people at the boat manufacturers know that the demand for higher price results in fewer units sold.  Therefore, need to raise price to make same margin.  But it can spiral.   And I think that is what happened to the Signature 310 and 330.  I would have thought there could be some innovation in the boating world that would reduce costs (materials, automation, computer design, etc) that would keep costs down and provide suitable margins at lower prices.   But looking at the construction of today's boats, not much has changed in 30 or 40 years for the general population of manufacturers.  

15 minutes ago, Roady68 said:

I'd probably buy new if the costs didn't outpace growth and inflation.  My Sig 300 came out in 1998.  Chaparral carried the same design for I think six years.  According to boat test magazine articles, a Sig 300 comparably equipped to mine was about $92k.  In today's dollars, that is about $155k.  I don't think you could get the 270 today for that.  Maybe, but its not a twin and its three feet smaller in length.  I know there are more features on today's boats that cost more.  Like cars that have airbags, back up cameras, etc, the boating industry has made a lot of niceties standard.  Maybe the business people at the boat manufacturers know that the demand for higher price results in fewer units sold.  Therefore, need to raise price to make same margin.  But it can spiral.   And I think that is what happened to the Signature 310 and 330.  I would have thought there could be some innovation in the boating world that would reduce costs (materials, automation, computer design, etc) that would keep costs down and provide suitable margins at lower prices.   But looking at the construction of today's boats, not much has changed in 30 or 40 years for the general population of manufacturers.  

besides changing the drapes and curtains per say boat tech for the average boat hasn't changed much in 30-40 years tbh,  cars have come a lot further.  Ive owned an 87, 91, 93, and 2002, really not that different.

2 hours ago, Chap243 said:

I feel the same way. But still not six figures.

The S in MSRP stands for Suggested.  IF the vehicle has been on the lot for a while, make them an offer.

2 years ago I bought my Sierra and got 30% off MSRP, granted it was technically a leftover (bought in October).

Financing is what drove the prices higher. You can finance a boat for 20 years now. Same with vehicles, once financing went from 36mo to 48 to 60 to 72 to 84, prices when up with it. 

44 minutes ago, Ponyboy96 said:

Financing is what drove the prices higher. You can finance a boat for 20 years now. Same with vehicles, once financing went from 36mo to 48 to 60 to 72 to 84, prices when up with it. 

You make a good point.  or did financing just keep up to stay in business.  One hand feeds the other for sure. 

I bought a truck in 07 for 28k, same truck in 2014 was 43k, that same truck now is probably 48k.  hasn't been that much innovation in that time period.

55 minutes ago, Ponyboy96 said:

Definitely a factor too.  I heard a podcast saying that guaranteed student loan program and reforms done in early 90s led to colleges charging more for tuition.  They know that they can get it because its coming out of the governments pocket, not the student's.  So  they can get more.  And if student fails out or can't repay, the debt isn't removed in cases of bankruptcy (thank you US government) so banks will lend to higher risks.  

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

You make a good point.  or did financing just keep up to stay in business.  One hand feeds the other for sure. 

I bought a truck in 07 for 28k, same truck in 2014 was 43k, that same truck now is probably 48k.  hasn't been that much innovation in that time period.

Exactly. Limit the financing to say 5 years and see what prices do. I guarantee they go down. 

We are at another market crash point. Real estate  has been loaded With the same BAD LOAN packages . Couple of good loans on top. Useless high risk is the rest of them,.  All the rest being sold to investors by the SAME dirt bag banks & Wall Street mortgage lenders.   2008 crash is ready to go.  Being reported regularly on the Wall Street finance stations

Oh well.

I bought my 220 SSi new in 2006 (ordered it, actually).  We'd had two older boats prior, so we knew by then we would use the boat heavily and keep it a long time.  That has indeed been the case.  We love our boat still and have zero regrets about buying new.  It's the exact boat we wanted, equipped exactly how we wanted it down to the colors.

That being said, if we had to buy another boat now, it would not be a new one, and it certainly would not be a Chaparral.  After attending a recent boat show, there is much better value in other boat brands than Chaparral, IMO.  New boat prices depend upon one's perceived value, and mine has dropped considerably.  Boats (in my market) are pretty much the same now as 2006, except hinges/struts on seat cushions are nearly extinct now!  (lame).  The extreme rise in prices is nowhere near justified, IMO.  But good for those that can afford/justify it.  It ain't gonna be me . . . higher prices, lower quality is not how to attract me to your product.

On the other hand, 'brick' can prolly get his original purchase price for his if he decides to sell!  A friend of mine recently bought a Mastercraft surf boat and still wants me to let him know if I ever consider selling my 220.

I like 8 plug wires in a boat between 18 & 20 feet. NO swim platform  included.

5.0 or 5.7 . I am a dinosaur.