Sign in to follow this  
Jgregg

Engine size

Hi all, trying to decide between the 380hp and 430hp for my new 28ft boat... thoughts?  I am looking for top end speed and hole speed but the cost is substantially different...thanks!

8 hours ago, Jgregg said:

I am looking for top end speed and hole speed

typically need max engine option to achieve both.  What specific boat are you considering, and what activities do you anticipate needing it to perform?

Speed is a luxury. Get used to ……….Money is not a concern .

What is hole speed ?  There is little speed in the hole.

11 hours ago, Jgregg said:

Hi all, trying to decide between the 380hp and 430hp for my new 28ft boat... thoughts?  I am looking for top end speed and hole speed but the cost is substantially different...thanks!

Give us more info.  What boat model?  How will you be using it etc.  28ft is not enough information. 

I will restate the obvious to experienced boaters. 

Small engines WORK VERY HARD. cruising is high engine revs. Burn more fuel per mile.  Long time to get out of the hole And requires adjusting the drive trim going on or off planning speeds.

Big engines LOAF along. Better mileage. Far quieter. Conversation between bow & stern people is easy on plane. Bad weather approaches with a load of people ?  WOT & stay dry.

Hole shot ?  Big engine WILL TOSS standing people into rear cushion or right off the boat. I swap props depending what I want. Brutal hole acceleration With a load of people. Trim of the drive has no effect with a correct prop. Or just 1 person & WOT GPS speeds.  Different prop.

Wrong props RUIN big engines performance.

12 hours ago, Jgregg said:

Bigger is always better, I have never seen any different. When you have a bigger engine your prop selection is much larger,  I dont have a video of my Chap but i do have this of my 14 year old hauling up to 60 with ease in our baja that has smoking hole shot.  top speed on this boat is 70 with a 23 P and will be nearly 75 with a 25P prop. 

Boat matters, performance boat or regular cabin cruiser,  cabin cruiser you aren't doing much of anything.  HP matter but 50 HP isn't going to change much its going to be the torque, gearing and propping on the bigger engine that matters.

People NEED to drive a boat that they want to buy.

1 boat with the smallest engine available.

1 boat with the largest engine.

Then decide which boat you would like.

NOTE...…… Both boat rides MUST  MUST have the maximum number of people you would want to take out.  SAME people in each ride.

Only question is...…….can we afford the engine.

21 hours ago, Jgregg said:

I am looking for top end speed and hole speed but the cost is substantially different...thanks!

You know you can stop and Pee in the water......

:boating:

Well it all depends on if your looking at a Merc (Big Block) or a VP(small Block). There's a few pounds of weight difference between them. The 380 will be fine IMO. 

But it's your doe.....

:boating:

Thanks for all of the advice on the topic.  I have a Chaparrel now but the new boat is a Sea Ray slx 280...heavy boat so was wondering what you’d all day.