Sign in to follow this  
Ianwelch001

4.5 mercruiser 250hp enough power?

Anyone have the newer 4.5 merc 250hp on a 22ft boat? Is it enough motor to have 5 people and have a tuber on the back? 

Found a used 2015 226ssi and has everything in want but has the 4.5v6 instead of the v8. Priced very well too. Just need opinions on the motor 

SSi is heavier than H20 with same engine. The 4.5L would be "adequate" but V8 would be preferred in 226ssi.

1 hour ago, Rip5 said:

SSi is heavier than H20 with same engine. The 4.5L would be "adequate" but V8 would be preferred in 226ssi.

They're heavier because the SSi's are basically cuddy cabins, right?

I've always had trouble determining the distinction between SSXs and even Sunestas.  They're both bowriders and look almost identical.  Maybe the radar arch was the difference?  And the SSi I think has some type of cabin?

SSi are Cuddies and Bowriders.

Odd numbers = cuddies (i.e. 235 ssi, 255 ssi)  Even numbers  =  open bow (i.e. 226ssi, 256ssi, etc.)

I'm going to look at the boat today and if I like it will put a refundable $1000 deposit on it pending a test drive this spring. 

I had a 92 well craft 186 with the 4.3v6 190hp

And that was fast enough for us on our smaller lake. That boat was 14.21lbs/ hp where as the 226ssi is 15.6lbs/hp so slighter higher weight to power ratio but hopefully not to much of a difference 

14 minutes ago, Ianwelch001 said:

I'm going to look at the boat today and if I like it will put a refundable $1000 deposit on it pending a test drive this spring. 

I had a 92 well craft 186 with the 4.3v6 190hp

And that was fast enough for us on our smaller lake. That boat was 14.21lbs/ hp where as the 226ssi is 15.6lbs/hp so slighter higher weight to power ratio but hopefully not to much of a difference 

Make sure you bring all 5 people with you on the sea trial. It's not "how fast" you can go, it's more a function

of will the engine be capable of doing what you want with a full load.  While the Wellcraft may have been fast enough, how

was it with 5 people on board and pulling a tuber ?  Still "fast enough"  ????