Sign in to follow this  
antret25

Improvement of steering

Its not worth it. But what you are telling me is. That you are shutting the starboard engine off. For safety, I would not do that, just take it out out gear. 

I want to have the same hours on both engines. I shut off the starboard engine and use the port engine. Because of it only during  last three years I replaced two steering helms and one cable. But in my case the fuel economy is approximately $1,500 a year plus engine hours.

Why not shut off the port and use the starboard? Or just use them both as designed? 

80% of time I move on slow speed. On this speed I need just one engine. If I use both in my case it means wasted $1500 for fuel and 160 hours a year for second engine, which worked on idle mode. 

5 minutes ago, antret25 said:

80% of time I move on slow speed. On this speed I need just one engine. If I use both in my case it means wasted $1500 for fuel and 160 hours a year for second engine, which worked on idle mode. 

That does not sound right. My 290 is now 8 years old and no steering problems. You must be going slow 99.9% of the time and going over great distances to save $1,500 at idle. To me, it sounds a little odd.  

Last years I had about 400 hours a year. And the problem is that I have to move on slow speed. 

Agree with antret25  on 1 engine in NO WAKE ZONES. with drive trimmed up in shallow, mucky, weedy  waters

I provide  tours around Miami by my Chaparral. The scheme came up. Now need a lot of adapters. For example the main hose for steering pump has on one end metric thread, on another end imperial. Absurd. On Ebay are for sell  completely the same steering pumps for Volvo Penta and General Motors. But he Volvo Penta steering pump has the thread M16-1.5     , the GM pump has thread 3/8 flare. I don't understand it.

So you are one of the guys that runs the unlicensed tours down here?

Being that you can easily boat 40 weeks a year $1500 is less than $40 per week.

What do you actually expect to save?

First, tours are licensed. Second, $1500 is the fuel economy of not using second engine during slow speed. Now, jeffk, verstehst du?

15 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I was thinking a kicker motor as well... 

Yep!

A 29 footer will need a HUGE kicker   to do any speed in current & wind. Plus steering that far from centerline is very difficult on the prop thrust angles.  We tried that decades ago. Steer a boat from the rear settled into the water ?  Barely possible with 1 main engine.

He is doing the best he can to save a buck.  Wear & tear is about 0 at that rpm.   Hours on a boat are only important to a salesperson for more profits.  How the boat looks & runs sells it to a serious buyer. 

Keep pocketing the money. 

15 hours ago, jeffk said:

So you are one of the guys that runs the unlicensed tours down here?

That's not very nice.  :haha-7383:

We were gonna charter a big 55ft Azimut flybridge for the day and the guy who owned it was an older, Cuban fella.  Nice guy but wanted too much so we bagged it.  Looking back I actually wish we did it because we were a couple of families and a bunch of kids and it had a jet ski and kayaks and all sorts of fun stuff I think it would have been cool, especially on that boat.

So by not using a second engine it saves you $1500.

If you run half a year and average 4 people per trip and 4 trips per day, that 832 people on your boat.

So how much are you willing to spend in parts in order to save $1500?

Thats assuming you do your own labor.

Whats the name of your tour? 

Not more than 2 trips a day, each trip not less than 4 hours.

In order to connect steering actuator to another engine I need 2 hoses, 3 adapters, 1/2 of new steering pump (as gipsy) and 1-2 hours of labor. I plan to switch actuator every 200 hours.

20 hours ago, antret25 said:

Not more than 2 trips a day, each trip not less than 4 hours.

In order to connect steering actuator to another engine I need 2 hoses, 3 adapters, 1/2 of new steering pump (as gipsy) and 1-2 hours of labor. I plan to switch actuator every 200 hours.

What year is your 290?  If the steering ram is on the starboard engine only, then it must have a connecting bracket to the port engine, yes?  I don't think you have 2, independent steering rams for each engine unless you have the joystick system.  So why not just shut the port engine off and as you turn the starboard engine, the ram (actuator) will control and move the connecting steering bracket to the port engine and turn it as well.  Either that or I'm missing something.

It's 2007. Of course no joystick. I spoke with a few Volvo Penta dealers - they never reconnect actuator from one engine to another. And you can't move the actuator to another position. In order to connect the actuator with port engine you need to disconnect  starboard engine hoses from actuator and connect with each other. Then extend port side hoses and connect to actuator. It's possible but in order to reach this area to work you need to remove two toilet pumps, vacuum tank, riser and 8 hours of labor. In my case I will reconnect everything in front area of engines and need less then 2 hours.

The hydraulic industry should have a multi station  hydraulic shifter.  Call a hydraulic supply house.  A heavy equipment place will tell you what is available.  Done that on assembly line machines 40 years ago.