Crb2312

Purchasing a Used 257 SSX Tips ?

Hey everyone, 

I am looking at purchasing a used 2012-2015 257 SSX bowrider and am looking for any help/advice. I have never owned a boat myself, but have been around friends/families with boats my whole life. This is a big financial decision for me and I want to make sure I am not missing anything due to lack of experience. The boat will be used on Lake Michigan in Chicago during the summers, mostly to take friends out and to drop anchor and relax on. I already have a company locally lined up that will haul it away, winterize it and store when the summer is over. 

- Outside of conducting a survey, what major issues do these boats start to have during years 5-7? 

- Does anyone have any advice on shipping? It is hard to find the boat, low hours (under 200) and close proximity to me for sale. There are much more options in much further states and I will expect to eat the shipping costs. Expecting around $1500 for that (most of the boats I am seeing will not have a trailer). 

- I like the SSX model most for the aesthetics and practicality of the interior. The arch, flexible seating configurations, clean lines, swimming deck and looks of the boat all seem very well designed and attractive. 

- Will this boat hold up well in some of Lake Michigan's choppier water?

- If the boat has been in salt water, will moving it to fresh water have any issues? 

-  In terms of holding value, most of these I am seeing around selling for $55-$65k.. Do you think if I want to sell or upgrade in 2-3 years I will be taking a significant hit? 

- Any cool/cost efficient upgrades I could make? I was thinking about LED lighting in the arch, under the water and throughout the interior. Possible upgrading the speakers and adding some new decking/flooring as well.

Any pre-purchasing advice that anyone has would be really helpful! Thanks!!!

14 hours ago, Crb2312 said:

-  In terms of holding value, most of these I am seeing around selling for $55-$65k.. Do you think if I want to sell or upgrade in 2-3 years I will be taking a significant hit? 

Don't worry about that kinda thing. It'll consume you to the point where you won't be able to enjoy the boat to the fullest while you have it.  Just do your best and keep it in as tip top shape as possible and keep it clean and maintain your records for all  the maintenance you do to it etc. and everything else will take care of itself.

Yes, there are plenty of modifications you can do to that thing.  Get it first an use it for a season and then you'll know what you need to add or upgrade.

17 hours ago, Crb2312 said:

Any pre-purchasing advice that anyone has would be really helpful! Thanks!!!

I'd recommend looking for one that has a Volvo V8-380 or V8-430 - uses a GM LS based 6.0L V8 that is a good deal lighter than the MerCruiser 8.2L Mag or Mag HO. (502 cid old school GM based big block V8) Avoid a salt water boat if you can as they will require extra costs for maintenance vs a fresh water only 257 SSx. Really nice boat.

Regardless of Merc or Volvo power, highly recommend having the drive pulled and the engine alignment and transom bellows inspected. Nice to know if you have any problems there such as a leaking yoke and yoke seal. Also you say highly recommend getting one with the optional arch. Adding underwater lights at the transom is very easy given the space at the transom and engine compartment. LED lighting in the arch I thought was standard. Might even go from blue to white to red?

https://www.tradeboats.com.au/trailerboat-reviews/boats/1302/chaparral-275-ssx-bowrider-review-video

Very nice running hull for its class size in rough water like the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence like to offer up. If I had the bucks, this boat would be on my short list to buy. Have fun shopping!

Chris