TJoyce

Newbie to Boating

We just bought a 2004 Chaparral 220 SSI and needing to buy a trailer for it as the trailer that came with it doesn’t fit the boat. The guy bought the trailer just to help sell the boat. Any advice on what trailers are the best for the Chaparral would be great. Also need to find the weight of the boat... any help to point us in the right direction would be fantastic 

TJ

I would talk to your local dealer first. On some trailers, the rollers/bunks and the winch post can be moved on order to fit and balance the boat.   

9 hours ago, TJoyce said:

We just bought a 2004 Chaparral 220 SSI and needing to buy a trailer for it as the trailer that came with it doesn’t fit the boat. The guy bought the trailer just to help sell the boat. Any advice on what trailers are the best for the Chaparral would be great. Also need to find the weight of the boat... any help to point us in the right direction would be fantastic 

TJ

What makes you think it doesn't fit the boat?  Is it too short-looking to you?  Is the boat not sitting correctly on it?  Is it a roller or a bunk trailer?  Need more details.

Can you post a pic with the boat on the trailer?

The boat mechanic told us on Sunday. It would need to be modified inorder to not damage the boat. The boat rests on the bunks in the creases of the boat not on a flat section. The dual prop is so close to the ground that if you ran over railroad tracks or a speed bump it would damage the bottom of the whole thing. Trailer guy came out last night and looked at it and said 1400 to modify and fix the trailer so it rests correctly on the trailer and the prop isn’t so low. 

21 hours ago, TJoyce said:

The boat mechanic told us on Sunday. It would need to be modified inorder to not damage the boat. The boat rests on the bunks in the creases of the boat not on a flat section. The dual prop is so close to the ground that if you ran over railroad tracks or a speed bump it would damage the bottom of the whole thing. Trailer guy came out last night and looked at it and said 1400 to modify and fix the trailer so it rests correctly on the trailer and the prop isn’t so low. 

You have not mentioned if the trailer can handle the wight of the boat. Depending on the age and condition, it may be cheaper to pay him to do the work.

Just like a car!! Is it worth putting the money into it or buying a new or used one in better shape. 

The trailer is a Tennessee Trailer that holds 7000 pounds. Our boat weighs 3650 dry. Also the tires have cracks in the side walls so we will have to replace them. Our boat guy estimated around 500.00 to 700.00 replace them and get a spare too. 

38 minutes ago, TJoyce said:

The trailer is a Tennessee Trailer that holds 7000 pounds. Our boat weighs 3650 dry. Also the tires have cracks in the side walls so we will have to replace them. Our boat guy estimated around 500.00 to 700.00 replace them and get a spare too. 

I take it that there are four tires, yes? That way too much money. Look into Walmart, Sears and good tire place. Your buying a Bias Ply tire not a radial tire. 

If it were me I'd sell that trailer and get an aluminum I beam trailer that is set up to fit your model boat.