cyclops2

It is official.

I was thinking something similar yesterday. After the snow stopped falling early yesterday morning, I went out and cleared the driveway. Still snow in the street. Later on, I went xc skiing to take advantage of the recent snowfall. As I drove home, the streets were clear and dry. It was only 20 degrees but the sun is now higher in the sky than New Years and melting the snow much faster. Spring is on the way.

Not too soon as I want to get more xc skiing in. 

8 minutes ago, SST said:

Spring is on the way.

Yeeeesss!:clapsmiley:

8 minutes ago, SST said:

Not too soon as I want to get more xc skiing in. 

Noooooo!  :haha-7383: 

Don't wish your life away, embrace each day for what it has to offer.  Denny.

I was out xc skiing yesterday at Elma Meadows golf course. Sky was blue and kinda warm. I actually had to go back to the car and shed my vest.  As I made my way around, I came to an open area where nobody had skied. Billions of little beads of light bouncing off of crystals. I stood for maybe 15 minutes taking it in. Days like yesterday make me want to hold off of spring just a little bit longer.  Although, like Climate Change, eventually I'll swing the other way.

IMG-1246.jpg

1 hour ago, SST said:

I was out xc skiing yesterday at Elma Meadows golf course. Sky was blue and kinda warm. I actually had to go back to the car and shed my vest.  As I made my way around, I came to an open area where nobody had skied. Billions of little beads of light bouncing off of crystals. I stood for maybe 15 minutes taking it in. Days like yesterday make me want to hold off of spring just a little bit longer.  Although, like Climate Change, eventually I'll swing the other way.

IMG-1246.jpg

Pretty view. When I use to down hill out west, I would do the same thing. I would sit on top of the mountain and take it all in.

That's what I mean, embrace each day for what it has to offer.  

Live for today, tomorrow isn't here yet, and when it gets here, it will be today.  Denny.

DSC00348.jpg

10 hours ago, Denny said:

Pretty view. When I use to down hill out west, I would do the same thing. I would sit on top of the mountain and take it all in.

That's what I mean, embrace each day for what it has to offer.  

Live for today, tomorrow isn't here yet, and when it gets here, it will be today.  Denny.

DSC00348.jpg

Nice pic!  We barely had any snow the entire winter and thought were gonna get away with the mildest and snowyless winter ever in history of MA, but no such luck.  The minute February came around the corner, we've been getting snow on almost a weekly basis and we're expecting this tonight!

D0u9yQwVYAADyUh.png

20 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Nice pic!  We barely had any snow the entire winter and thought were gonna get away with the mildest and snowyless winter ever in history of MA, but no such luck.  The minute February came around the corner, we've been getting snow on almost a weekly basis and we're expecting this tonight!

D0u9yQwVYAADyUh.png

Yeah, we are way down from normal. I have a good friend that works in the street department in Ashby Ma.

He says that sometimes he doesn't get home at night, and sleeps on a cot at the garage.

Typically, if we get a couple of inches, Cleveland will get a couple of feet.

SST can tell you about that lake effect snow.  Denny.

27 minutes ago, Denny said:

One of our heaviest, the blizzard of 78.

Blizzard of 78 was quite memorable around here also.  They said it started snowing and just kept snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing and didn't stop for like a week lol.  Plows started out fine but after a while they just couldn't keep up with it and of course, the biggest problem with all this snow is running out of room to put it.  After a certain level, you just can't move it to somewhere else.

1225_blizzard-of-1978.jpg

8 inches of the heavy, wet crap last night!  This is how many are getting to work this morning in Boston.  I might just stay in today, getting really sick of this @#$%@#! lol

D00dHvWU8AAiQH1.jpg

40 minutes ago, SST said:

Although trying to shovel 8 inches of heavy wet snow can kill ya! I landed in the hospital due to shoveling years ago. Much more careful these days. 

I believe it.  My next project coming up is a 2nd car garage addition because the homeowner has AFIB (Atrial Fibrillation) which coincidentally I also have and his wife parks in the current garage.  His cardiologist told him no more shoveling or even cleaning snow off his car because it can trigger his AFIB.  So we're building the 2nd garage for him because of the snow, possibly heating the driveway as well.  Imagine that?  I know exactly what you're talking about. 

Then you got these idiots out there in moving icebergs. :D 

buffcar_53e139d3bcc14c32a28189410fd5c4f9

Seeing that guy around the neighborhood wouldn't bother me and actually give me a good laugh. But if he went out on the roadways driving with that top hat on, I'd definitely annoyed. The blizzard that thing creates is as dangerous as the blizzard itself let alone if that whole piece comes off with a tailgater right behind him. Although taking out a tailgater doesn't bother me either. 

I cell phoned S P  and followed one like that.  Relayed locations. Cop simply wrote the ticket.

His roof chunk had crashed into my car.

10 hours ago, Hatem said:

8 inches of the heavy, wet crap last night!  This is how many are getting to work this morning in Boston.  I might just stay in today, getting really sick of this @#$%@#! lol

D00dHvWU8AAiQH1.jpg

Missed us again, only got an inch and a half. Can see the grass showing through it.  Little on the chillie side though. Denny.

Got my dock lease paperwork just last week and can put the boat at the dock as early as April 1.  That said, it was a whopping 8 degrees (F) this morning, so mother nature has a long way to go in a month.

Darn cold out there this evening.  14F with light snowfall.  Light and fluffy, heart attack resistant. I always find it interesting when 1 inch of wet snow is so much heavier than 10 inches of light and fluffy. Its also interesting you can xc ski on 1 inch of wet snow but may not be able to ski on 10 inches of fluffy.  

I too paid my slip fees for this coming season. A bit too much ice to launch although I can launch anytime I want. 

9 hours ago, SST said:

I too paid my slip fees for this coming season. A bit too much ice to launch although I can launch anytime I want. 

Same here w/ the ice.  I could launch, but can't find an icebreaker attachment for the 225.  :D

13 hours ago, Denny said:

Missed us again, only got an inch and a half. Can see the grass showing through it.  Little on the chillie side though. Denny.

That's a bit better than what this fella had to deal with in Austria a few days ago.  Took him 9 hours to dig out his car.

D0nUyFVX0AE-5JJ.jpg

Going to be 72 this weekend. Thought about taking the boat out. 

Whats this snow you speak of?  More importantly why would you want to live somewhere where it snows that much?

The snowstorm in Buffalo in October of 2006 was a bad storm. Not only did it drop a lot of snow, it was beyond heavy! It caused the NWA DC-9 to tip back on its tail. I worked that night too!

What didn't get on camera, was that this DC-9 [maybe this one-not certain] made it into Buffalo. Got it parked at the gate. Because of the heavy snow, the airport was only operating on partial power and therefore no electricity to the jetways. We dropped the rear air stair and deplaned everybody. At some point [my memory is fading as to which DC-9 got turned] we turned this one or another one and put the tail up against the terminal to shorten the distance to walk in this heavy slop.  We then boarded the plane.

We started to deice. But I began to notice that the snowfall rate was so significant along with the heavy water content, that we'd never be able to get it entirely deiced without having to start all over again. The deice fluid was being diluted so bad the plane couldn't make it from the gate to the runway and take off.  The plane never left the gate and we deplaned the passengers and canceled the flight. It was chaos that night.

Another problem not shown in the video is that of a NW A319/20. Dispatch was told not to send the plane. They did anyways. Due to the DC-9 blocking the gate and other 9's not moving either, the A319 had to sit for a long time. Eventually, UA gave us one of there gates and the crew was instructed to taxi to the other side which he did. But he had to wait [don't remember why] to taxi into the gate. While sitting and waiting, the temperature dropped a bit and the brakes froze. The plane couldn't move! The plane sate all night but we ended up having to shovel a LONG path from the terminal to the plane and everybody had to walk off. Not a nice day for NW.

Then I got home [a mobile home] and spent the night shoveling my roof off so it wouldn't collapse and then knocked the snow off the trees to try and save them. I drive through the park random and I can say that after 13 years they still look great.  No electricity for 3 days but I had a fireplace and dragged out the grate from the oven and cooked away. Even cooked an apple pie.  Then my brother came to my rescue with a generator and plugged me in.  While it was nice to have lights and tv, I kinda liked doing things the frontier way. 

You can get some severe Lake effect. I remember a picture of snow up to the roof gutters on a lodge in Pulaski, N Y . The people started shoveling from a 2nd floor roof dormer.

A slip into 8 to 10 feet of snow ?

15 hours ago, SST said:

The snowstorm in Buffalo in October of 2006 was a bad storm. Not only did it drop a lot of snow, it was beyond heavy! It caused the NWA DC-9 to tip back on its tail. I worked that night too!

That's amazing.  It also goes to show how light-ended those aircraft are and it doesn't take much movement from the horizontal stabilizers (or elevators in this case) to get the nose up on take-off.  Even with fighter jets, the center of gravity is much more forward of the fuselage and gears are placed specifically to allow for that off-center weight.

I remember watching a video of a restored MiG-15 that was about to take its first flight and they were recording the startup and takeoff process and the pilot specifically said when you reach takeoff speed, you want to pull back on the stick ever so slightly because too much elevators and you can actually cause the aircraft to do a backflip!  I thought that was crazy but it makes a lot of sense, especially on smaller and fast aircraft like that.  It also has the horizontal stabilizers placed high on the vertical tail just like that DC-9 which I would think get much more airspeed being placed higher than the wings because it's not getting the wash which (I'm only guessing) gives those surfaces much more cleaner air to use.