Jump to content
Dozer

Vessel View Link Kit anyone has any experience with it

Recommended Posts

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Vessel View Link Kit for Twin Mercruiser 5.0 MPI's?
The analog gauges on my 2006 Sig 290 are OK, but I would like to have a second set of digitals via my Simrad display.
Currently I can purchase the  Vessel View Link Kit   Part # 8M0110641  online for about 900 deer -- this is the multi engine kit (up to 4)
I understand I need a NEMA 2000 Network that will connect the Vessel View to the Simrad, and I think I will need two CAN Data Harnesses.

I really can't find much information on exactly how to install it, but here is what I UNDERSTAND... so keep in mind, what I understand MAY be completely wrong.

1 The CAN data harness is connected to the engines, and routed to a central location, either under the dash or even in the engine bay.
2. Then the Vessel Link is attached to the CAN 
3. The Vessel link than uses the NMEA 2000 Network to transmit the information to the SImrad

From the pictures I have seen of the Vessel View Link, I don't see how you connect both engines to it.
SO any helpful information before I spend a bunch of $$ and then can't figure out how to use it would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, right after posting the above I found a bit more info, looks like I will need a Junction Box part #878492T14 -- this is where the CAN harnesses and the Vessel View all connect.

Just wondering what else to get this done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the same item Mercury is running on sale? I just ordered one for $149.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jksvet said:

Is this the same item Mercury is running on sale? I just ordered one for $149.

I wish, maybe you're referring to the Vessel View Mobile?
Do you have a link for the SALE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dozer said:

Just wondering what else to get this done?

That kit is good for up to 4 engines, so you should be fine.  Although I'm not sure why you needed the junction box TBH.  You should've had a connection port right on the starboard engine that is already hooked up to receive info from both engines and then transmit to the VV and then to your Simrad.  I would call them first before buying that junction box because I really don' think you need it.  Everyone I know has been able to hook up any Vesselview to their twin engine setups without an additional junction box since the control box for the connection on the SB engine should be already linked to the PS engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hatem said:

That kit is good for up to 4 engines, so you should be fine.  Although I'm not sure why you needed the junction box TBH.  You should've had a connection port right on the starboard engine that is already hooked up to receive info from both engines and then transmit to the VV and then to your Simrad.  I would call them first before buying that junction box because I really don' think you need it.  Everyone I know has been able to hook up any Vesselview to their twin engine setups without an additional junction box since the control box for the connection on the SB engine should be already linked to the PS engine.

Decided the best way is to go directly to the source, so I called Mercury and talked with Michelle. She's going to send me an email later with detailed info on what I need. According to her, I will need all the items I listed before, but she will get me the correct part numbers.
THis should be fun

14 hours ago, jksvet said:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/vesselview-mobile/

youre right, different item.

hopefully the link will work. If not google mercury marine, under gauges. I thought 1 device would work on up to 4 engines.

According to Michele I can add this directly to the Junction box and also have the engine data feed to my smartphone.

So I guess I'll try to make a detailed post of "How to install VV Link and VV Mobile" once I get all my information and parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dozer said:

Decided the best way is to go directly to the source, so I called Mercury and talked with Michelle. She's going to send me an email later with detailed info on what I need. According to her, I will need all the items I listed before, but she will get me the correct part numbers.
THis should be fun

According to Michele I can add this directly to the Junction box and also have the engine data feed to my smartphone.

So I guess I'll try to make a detailed post of "How to install VV Link and VV Mobile" once I get all my information and parts.

Good stuff!  Machelle (that's how you spell her name) is awesome.  I just hung up with her about an hour ago regarding my issue.  Someone else at her office helped me a year or so ago when I installed my VesselView 4.  They were equally helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

installed my VesselView 4

Did your boat had any Smartcraft connections on it at all, or you had to install everything from the motor to helm? 
By the way just read your other post on "Engine Popping" hope you can get that "bug" figured out. I have had my share of issues with my Twin 5.0 MPI's, and have had the heads rebuilt on both, including the replacement of a coupler which required pulling the engine out. Just keep at it, and make sure to take some time away from it when you're getting frustrated with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dozer said:

Did your boat had any Smartcraft connections on it at all, or you had to install everything from the motor to helm? 
By the way just read your other post on "Engine Popping" hope you can get that "bug" figured out. I have had my share of issues with my Twin 5.0 MPI's, and have had the heads rebuilt on both, including the replacement of a coupler which required pulling the engine out. Just keep at it, and make sure to take some time away from it when you're getting frustrated with it.

Thanks for the note.  Yes, frustrating for sure!  Good advice, though.

I had to run the cabling from the engine to the helm.  It consisted of a blue cable which plugged into the diagnostics port on the motor-side, and into a junction box that I had to install at the helm.  A terminator has to occupy one of the junction box sockets, and the VV4 harness plugged into one of the other sockets (leaving the two others capped off).  I was actually wondering if there would be any benefit to throwing a VV Mobile on one of the open sockets...just not sure if it presents more data or not. I have yet to see how a code might be displayed on the VV4 (maybe that's fortunate).

It was a bear to run the cable along the sidewall.  Had to pull speakers and can't count the number of fiberglass splinters!  I think I posted about it (maybe even with photos) in the forum here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

It was a bear to run the cable along the sidewall.  Had to pull speakers and can't count the number of fiberglass splinters!  I think I posted about it (maybe even with photos) in the forum here.

I guess I'm fortunate in that respect, there's a 2 inch pipe that runs along the starboard side of the boat from the engine compartment to an access panel in the sleeping area below the helm, from there I just pass it through the opening on the helm behind the dash. It made it very easy last time when I installed the Depth finder/sonar for the Simrad.

7 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Machelle (that's how you spell her name) is awesome. 

Do you still have the email for Machelle? Would you mind PM it if you have it? I called her today, and gave her my email, but sometimes people misspell it and don't get the email(s)

 

5 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I was actually wondering if there would be any benefit to throwing a VV Mobile on one of the open sockets

I think so, they have them on sale now for 149 deer -- I think I'm going to add it on, it's just another set of gauges to look at in case the main screen goes out, or another option to have within the cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jksvet said:

I like the fact that you can also interpret codes.

Have you installed a VV Link on your boat? If so do you have any tips or advise on what and how to do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I just ordered it last week. Watched the install video. Looks simple. Plug and play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jksvet said:

No, I just ordered it last week. Watched the install video. Looks simple. Plug and play

What kind of boat? Single or Twin engines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dozer said:

Decided the best way is to go directly to the source, so I called Mercury and talked with Michelle. She's going to send me an email later with detailed info on what I need. According to her, I will need all the items I listed before, but she will get me the correct part numbers.
THis should be fun

Just out of curiosity, when you rebuilt the engine(s), did you pull them both out or just the portside one?  Was there any common electrical connections between the two that you had to disconnect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dozer said:

Do you still have the email for Machelle? Would you mind PM it if you have it? I called her today, and gave her my email, but sometimes people misspell it and don't get the email(s)

PM sent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Just out of curiosity, when you rebuilt the engine(s), did you pull them both out or just the portside one?  Was there any common electrical connections between the two that you had to disconnect?

I pulled the only the starboard engine, and there was NO connections between them. The plugs for the diagnostic that you connect the CAN harness are capped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

It was a bear to run the cable along the sidewall.  Had to pull speakers and can't count the number of fiberglass splinters!  I think I posted about it (maybe even with photos) in the forum here.

I got your PM, and right after that Machelle sent me the email with info for how to connect my twin engines, thanks for sending that info.
In regards to the PVC pipe that runs along the Starboard side. On mine the cap was not glued, I had to twist and pull out the cap. It did have a warning label on it regarding the CO2, so after I ran the cables through it, I sealed with insulation and cut a notch on the cap (see image below) and taped over it after placing the cap back on the tube... so this way any CO2 in the engine bay will not make it into the cabin.
EndCap.jpg

As for connect my engines, this is what Machelle sent me, so now I have to order all these parts and see if I can make this work.
Vessel%20View%20Link%20Twin%20Eng%2010%2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dozer said:

I got your PM, and right after that Machelle sent me the email with info for how to connect my twin engines, thanks for sending that info.
In regards to the PVC pipe that runs along the Starboard side. On mine the cap was not glued, I had to twist and pull out the cap. It did have a warning label on it regarding the CO2, so after I ran the cables through it, I sealed with insulation and cut a notch on the cap (see image below) and taped over it after placing the cap back on the tube... so this way any CO2 in the engine bay will not make it into the cabin.
EndCap.jpg

As for connect my engines, this is what Machelle sent me, so now I have to order all these parts and see if I can make this work.
Vessel%20View%20Link%20Twin%20Eng%2010%2

Nice!  My setup is almost exactly the same as I have the CAN Data Harness on my only engine, and I ran it to the helm where I installed the junction box and plugged the VV4 into.  Merc sent me a similar diagram but for single engine (so no adapter harness and only one junction box).

I like the cap idea.  I should have worked on it a little more before running the cable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dozer,

don't forget that since your engines weren't programmed with smartcraft/vesselview in mind, both of them are configured as starboards engine.

I did what you are trying to achieve on a Sig 290 2004 a couple years ago and it worked very well, I only needed a Merc tech to set my port engine as port engine ;). He did it in 3 minutes... Don't forget to unplug the trim from the analog wire and put it to the digital trim plug (both are together directly on the engine) because without it you will miss a couple of features on your Simrad/vesselview like Eco Mode, Smart Tow, etc... they need trim information  to operate . Same goes for the fuel tank wire, on mine it was directly plugged on the fuel gauge. You will need to plug it on the engine instead.

You will definitely love the upgrade, of that I am pretty sure :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Exoset said:

don't forget that since your engines weren't programmed with smartcraft/vesselview in mind, both of them are configured as starboards engine.

That sucks, the folks at Mercruiser did not tell me about the programing.

3 hours ago, Exoset said:

Don't forget to unplug the trim from the analog wire and put it to the digital trim plug (both are together directly on the engine) because without it you will miss a couple of features on your Simrad/vesselview like Eco Mode, Smart Tow, etc... they need trim information  to operate . Same goes for the fuel tank wire, on mine it was directly plugged on the fuel gauge. You will need to plug it on the engine instead.

The Harnesses that I ordered, the ones listed on the diagram I posted, don't have any extra connections, they just connect to the plug with the purple cap on it. How do you connect to the Trim? How do you connect the Fuel Tank wire?

Thanks for the info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dozer said:

That sucks, the folks at Mercruiser did not tell me about the programing.

This is exactly why I was asking you about the common wiring between the two engines and if you had to disconnect anything when you pulled the starboard engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dozer said:

That sucks, the folks at Mercruiser did not tell me about the programing.

The Harnesses that I ordered, the ones listed on the diagram I posted, don't have any extra connections, they just connect to the plug with the purple cap on it. How do you connect to the Trim? How do you connect the Fuel Tank wire?

Thanks for the info

Well, about trim and fuel tank :

your trim sender (on your Bravo) as a wire connecting to the main engine in the plug labeled ANALOG TRIM. You will need to unplug it and plug it in the one named DIGITAL TRIM. Don't forget to take the small cap from DIGITAL and put it on the ANALOG.

Same thing for the fuel. The sender in your fuel tank should be plugged directly on the fuel gauge (on your dashboard), identify it, cut it and plug it on the engine, this way your SIMRAD/Vesselview will be able to read what is send by your fuel sender.

What your ordered is the blue smartcraft cable which is a totally different thing, for this particular one you just need to plug it on your smartcraft plug (on the engine) on one end and plug the other one behind your dashboard in a free slot of your junction box. Since your boat wasn't installed with smartcraft wiring, you should check if you have a junction box, if you don't, it is really not expansive, a 4 ways should be enough for what you are trying to achieve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exoset said:

Same thing for the fuel. The sender in your fuel tank should be plugged directly on the fuel gauge (on your dashboard), identify it, cut it and plug it on the engine, this way your SIMRAD/Vesselview will be able to read what is send by your fuel sender.

Exoset, thanks for the helpful info on the Trim wire -- What happens to the analog Trim Gauge on the dash once you make the wire switch? Will it continue to work along with the Simrad?

As for the fuel wire, where on the engine, and which engine do I plug the Fuel Sender Unit wire? Same question as for the Trim, will the Fuel gauge on the dash continue to work?

My main idea to add  this new system is to augment my dash gauges, I would like to continue using them, but at the same time get as much data on my Simrad as possible.

I sent an email to Mercruiser Support regarding these questions, but have not received a reply yet, so thank you for clarifying these issues. 

1 hour ago, Exoset said:

What your ordered is the blue smartcraft cable which is a totally different thing, for this particular one you just need to plug it on your smartcraft plug (on the engine) on one end and plug the other one behind your dashboard in a free slot of your junction box. Since your boat wasn't installed with smartcraft wiring, you should check if you have a junction box, if you don't, it is really not expansive, a 4 ways should be enough for what you are trying to achieve.

According to Mercruiser Support I need to have two J-boxes, just like the diagram I posted before. They say if I use ONLY one J-Box with this current Vessel View Link it will cause engine starting and stopping issues. According to the diagram I have to then use two extra harnesses to go between the J-boxes, one is a CAN link harness, and the other a Dual Engine Instrument Adapter Harness -- I'm wondering if this Dual Engine Harness is what identifies PORT and STARBOARD engines. The Dual Engine Harness I received is Labeled with PORT and STARBOARD labels.
My issue with getting a Mercruiser Tech to even look at my boat is that they are supper busy due to Hurricane Michael work. So it takes weeks or months to even get an appointment...So I was hoping with the use of all these harnesses I don't have to have the engines programed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Exoset said:

don't forget that since your engines weren't programmed with smartcraft/vesselview in mind, both of them are configured as starboards engine.

Well I was able to get in touch with Mercruiser support. As you mentioned, most likely both engines are configured as Starboards. They told me to go ahead and hook up all the gear I have and see what comes up...there's a very [very] slim chance that the Port engine was programed as PORT , but most likely NOT.
If it's the case that both are Starboards, I will have to drive about 1.5hrs each way to the nearest service location that is not slammed busy with Hurricane Michael repairs. They confirmed it's about 5-15 minutes. I actually had one service location tell me it would take 5hrs per engine to program...I just hung up the phone!

As for the Trim and Fuel connections, if I do the switching as you mentioned I will loose the analog gauges. According to Mercruiser Support, I will need a harness to connect the Fuel Sending unit to the engine. But because I don't have DTS on my boat, he said it will not help much having the Trim and Fuel input, but getting them later is not a big deal.

Like Exoset mentioned, the TRIM is just a simple wire switch, and the FUEL is a 20 deer harness that plugs into a 3 pin plug.

So now the plan for this weekend is to connect all the wiring and boxes and see what comes up, then if necessary spend a day driving the boat to the service location to get the Port engine reprogramed. 
I'll try to post some photos as I go...if I don't forget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×