Whipple pcm calibration

On 3/4/2019 at 7:15 AM, Dturn said:

Hi All,

Anyone have there pcm calibrated by whipple? This would be on a 496Ho. I am curious if it was money well spent.  I realize I would have to reprop which I plan to go to a xr prop set once I get a rpm baseline with the calibration.  I posted the line below!

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=52

Not whipple but Arizona Speed and Marine on a 7.4. They do the same thing. Best money spent was on a labbed prop, then the ECU upgrade. Once you get your prop labbed you will understand. Silky smooth operation and 3-4mph increase, better holeshot, cruise etc. This being done on my Baja. 

47 minutes ago, BajaDriver said:

Not whipple but Arizona Speed and Marine on a 7.4. They do the same thing. Best money spent was on a labbed prop, then the ECU upgrade. Once you get your prop labbed you will understand. Silky smooth operation and 3-4mph increase, better holeshot, cruise etc. This being done on my Baja. 

Where did you get your prop/props labbed?  And you probabaly want to figure out a baseline rpm before you spend deer on a prop.  Correct?

11 minutes ago, Dturn said:

Where did you get your prop/props labbed?  And you probabaly want to figure out a baseline rpm before you spend deer on a prop.  Correct?

Try BBlades.com.  But yeah anything performance your going to want to get baseline and work from there

I had my props labbed at BBlades.  I gained some improvement in the mid-range but nothing on the top end.  I don't know what boat you have but the Chaparral hull is not like a go fast boat hull.  They run "wet" and deep in the water.  They do not have the kind of lift that a go fast has or a pad that a go fast gets up on.  If you look at a Velocity which has a pad, at high speed, the only thing in the water is the pad and the drive.  It takes a lot hp to move one of this boats only a little bit faster.

Quicky about a pad boat. My 2002 186 is supposed to have a planning pad back there. I can believe it with a 5.0L V8 @ 220 hp. I could just reach 50 @ 4800 rev limiter.

BUT And it is a huge but.

Everything was maxed out. 2 quick blip of the drive up or down was a rapid loss of speed.

The danger was at 50 gps. I had NO   NO steering or stability left . At 50 the boat felt VERY LIGHT . like it was balanced on a bowling ball. It would do 2 second rolls / dips to  F R L R and do that endlessly.  I was afraid to try any turns.

Switched props to a grippy prop. I do 45 with weeds on the bottom. I can cut it as fast as I want to.

Know the danger signals of a over powered boat. Then prop down in a good way to protect any other driver of your boat.

4 hours ago, Dturn said:

BBlades and they have my 25P mirage plus now. Yes get your baselines. and accurate speeds gps vs rpm. 

14 hours ago, Dturn said:

Looking at locking down a 2010 chap 275 ssi with 496 Ho

it will need that motor for sure. 275 is heavy. I have seen several with the 5.7gxi and they struggle fully loaded. The Chap hull is good for 60-65mph from what I have seen. It takes a bunch of power and right conditions to get a 275 to see those numbers. remember this if you have a Chap 275 that can see 50mph you are doing very well. Anything above 50 is gravy. Most boats i see struggle to get to 50 and have to get there with a lot of effort. Our 06 252 sees 50-53 mph with ease and it uses the F5 props, I find this to be a great pitch. It also flies to the rev limiter. I can prop up for a few mph more but we load out boat down with peeps and equipment. With the F5 props I can also manipulate our wake at just about any speed for towing skiers or tubers.  

2 hours ago, BajaDriver said:

it will need that motor for sure. 275 is heavy. I have seen several with the 5.7gxi and they struggle fully loaded. The Chap hull is good for 60-65mph from what I have seen. It takes a bunch of power and right conditions to get a 275 to see those numbers. remember this if you have a Chap 275 that can see 50mph you are doing very well. Anything above 50 is gravy. Most boats i see struggle to get to 50 and have to get there with a lot of effort. Our 06 252 sees 50-53 mph with ease and it uses the F5 props, I find this to be a great pitch. It also flies to the rev limiter. I can prop up for a few mph more but we load out boat down with peeps and equipment. With the F5 props I can also manipulate our wake at just about any speed for towing skiers or tubers.  

Ive had fountains and chaps, and I get the allure of the sporty family boat, but if you want performance you need to get a performance boat or go to something smaller.  A 25-27ft boat that weighs 5-7k with a deep V just simply isn't going to be performance.