Chuckrock

Thanks for the add! Couple questions

Hello, thanks again for the add.

I bought a 2004 190 ssi at the end of the season last year and was only able to give it a single run before it got too cold.  Having only boats with outboards before this is a bit of unchartered waters.  The guy I bought from was the 2nd owner, but he only owned for 6 months.  He decided that he needed a big pontoon for all his grandkids.  The boat looks like new, trailer pretty close to new so I do believe that it was well taken care of.  Boat has 160 hours.  The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the stereo.  2 speakers leaves a little to be desired.  Not sure why it's such a scimpy system.  JBL head and does have swim platform remote.  Any ideas for upgrading without costing a small fortune?  Also, thoughts on what maintainence I should perform to be "safe" not knowing much history?  The second owner did purchase it from a boat dealer but he couldn't remember what was done.  I'd just feel much better giving it a decent going through before regular use, and use it I will!

Thank you

Good luck with the new boat!!!

Its no different that an outboard. You still have filters, drive oil and alike. But you do have the rubber boot so you can raise the drive up or down. On that note, I would take it to a dealer/boat yard and have that looked at. You don't want to sink if that boot lets go.

On the sound system, you are going to get a lot of options on that here. Myself, I like Fusion and it cost more but you get what you pay for. I have had a few other brands, but Fusion has more to offer.  

12 hours ago, Chuckrock said:

Also, thoughts on what maintainence I should perform to be "safe" not knowing much history?  The second owner did purchase it from a boat dealer but he couldn't remember what was done.

In that case I would change the engine oil, change the outdrive oil (inspect both for any abnormalities) and change the impeller (or at least inspect it.)  You could do more, but with 160 hours that's probably all I would do for now.  If you can access the spark plugs, pull one out and take a look at it.  What engine does it have?

I second what Hatem said about the maintenance. Do change the impeller, though. Your 190 is the little brother of our 210. If you want some ideas check out my Youtube page.   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwI5ueLcYaafY48n7CWBeWA/videos

Also, where do you plan on using your boat. We are right across the river from you and we do occasionally boat on the Kaskaskia and go down to Kinkaid.

Where to go?  That's  a great question.  In the past, we have gone to Rend, but we used to go to Kincaid with friends with boat.  We live 10 minutes from the New Athens marina on the Kaskaskia.  I am very uneasy about boating on the river though.  We are both teachers so boating in a smaller boat is possible during the week, even on big water like Tablerock.  Having a place so close like the river is nice, but it just makes me nervous, should I be?  Lots of people do it so I don't know.

I have seen some of your work and your boat is beautiful.  I especially like the added storage you did.  I would like to upgrade the stereo, but it sounds like the options are pretty limited unless I replace the whole system.  I hate to toss stuff that still works perfectly fine, just would like a little more.

Think of it some what like...….

I bought a used car. I trust it in town.   But not sure about on the interstate at 60 mph.  

Contact several marinas in your area & speak with the service managers. Do it with all service manager near buy.  You should get a feeling which will run up hefty bills on you.  Are they all trustworthy ?   Only you have to feel them out & get a confidence level.  Get their hourly rates alco then sit down & decide.

The best of us make a bad guess on marinas.  Part of boating & life.   You will figure it out over time.   A 15 year old boat COULD have some serious problems. Talk to all the dealers.

ON a trailer ?  ask if they would do a Quick check of what is obvious & decide what you feel needs to be done.

The 5 dealers near me are all interested in helping new people in a positive way. I recommend people to them.  I am lucky.

1 hour ago, Chuckrock said:

Where to go?  That's  a great question.  In the past, we have gone to Rend, but we used to go to Kincaid with friends with boat.  We live 10 minutes from the New Athens marina on the Kaskaskia.  I am very uneasy about boating on the river though.  We are both teachers so boating in a smaller boat is possible during the week, even on big water like Tablerock.  Having a place so close like the river is nice, but it just makes me nervous, should I be?  Lots of people do it so I don't know.

I have seen some of your work and your boat is beautiful.  I especially like the added storage you did.  I would like to upgrade the stereo, but it sounds like the options are pretty limited unless I replace the whole system.  I hate to toss stuff that still works perfectly fine, just would like a little more.

The Kaskaskia is not a big deal. Hardly any current due to the lock and dam at the end of it by the Mississippi. I use it for my shake down cruise every Spring because it is small and safe. Depth is consistently in the 15 to 20 ft. range. Bookmark the St Louis area river gauges, for the Kaskaskia I look at the level at Red Bud. If it is in the 368 to 372 ft. range, it is boatable. Anything over 372 there and it is very flooded. I bet if you try it and since you are so close, you will be out there every weekend. There are sections of the river in which the whole channel is a no wake zone, one area is Evansville. We usually anchor out there and swim and BBQ.

y4m_3r8LsocY1R3OCiQMss7d4rRmTAUgoLpEo_ro

y4mSRXVGArWz_cs4ZdHzMsSff8BYk9zv5G-TN4Qp

Link for St Louis rivers and lakes.  http://www.mvs-wc.usace.army.mil/dresriv.html

Also, if you want to add speakers in the bow, check out this guys 190. You have to look quick and pause, but he added them right below the gap where the side and front wall padding meet. You can see them right as the video starts. BTW, he also has a 10 inch subwoofer right below the passenger console.

Those burgers and dogs look really good, T-Bone.  So do those inflatable lounge seats! :D

5 hours ago, Hatem said:

Those burgers and dogs look really good, T-Bone.  So do those inflatable lounge seats! :D

ANYTHING that has to do with summer looks good about now. Even my lawn mower.  :slap:

On 3/7/2019 at 11:47 AM, tomnjo said:

The Kaskaskia is not a big deal. Hardly any current due to the lock and dam at the end of it by the Mississippi. I use it for my shake down cruise every Spring because it is small and safe. Depth is consistently in the 15 to 20 ft. range. Bookmark the St Louis area river gauges, for the Kaskaskia I look at the level at Red Bud. If it is in the 368 to 372 ft. range, it is boatable. Anything over 372 there and it is very flooded. I bet if you try it and since you are so close, you will be out there every weekend. There are sections of the river in which the whole channel is a no wake zone, one area is Evansville. We usually anchor out there and swim and BBQ.

y4m_3r8LsocY1R3OCiQMss7d4rRmTAUgoLpEo_ro

y4mSRXVGArWz_cs4ZdHzMsSff8BYk9zv5G-TN4Qp

Link for St Louis rivers and lakes.  http://www.mvs-wc.usace.army.mil/dresriv.html

Also, if you want to add speakers in the bow, check out this guys 190. You have to look quick and pause, but he added them right below the gap where the side and front wall padding meet. You can see them right as the video starts. BTW, he also has a 10 inch subwoofer right below the passenger console.

I've got the river levels bookmarked.  Thank you for that info.  I think we'll give the river a shot.  Thanks again

Boat stereos were not great back in 2004. You can spend a little or a lot. Quality marine grade will cost more, but will hold up better. Add speakers and a sub for solid sound. Wet Sounds, Polk, Clarion are welll know brands.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:18 PM, Chuckrock said:

Any ideas for upgrading without costing a small fortune?

Any head unit upgrade, will likely force a transom remote and cable upgrade as well. Manufactures have a habit of changing the protocol, rendering older version obsolete. Evaluate the existing system. What works, whats inoperative. What features is the system lacking? Does the sound quality and volume meet your needs? 

System upgrades can be done in stages, but you need to have the vision, and lay the foundation first. Makes the future upgrades co easier and less time consuming.  

On 3/10/2019 at 12:50 PM, brick said:

Boat stereos were not great back in 2004. You can spend a little or a lot. Quality marine grade will cost more, but will hold up better. Add speakers and a sub for solid sound. Wet Sounds, Polk, Clarion are welll know brands.

Got that right. Had to gut mine out when I bought the boat. Out of the head unit, transom remote, two bow speakers, and two cockpit speakers, the only thing that worked was one cockpit speaker. Not sure about the marine aspect, though. I originally put an old Sony amp in the boat that my son removed from his car at least 10 years ago. A couple of years ago I replaced it with a marine JBL amp. The JBL amp lasted a year and a half, the old Sony is back in and still working. All of my speakers are marine. They are more exposed to the elements so I think it does matter more with those.

37 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

The JBL amp lasted a year and a half, the old Sony is back in and still working

More about a modern JBL v's old school sony then marine v's car amp. 

11 minutes ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

More about a modern JBL v's old school sony then marine v's car amp. 

:scratchchin:  Really?  This thing has gone through two sons cars and twice in the boat.

25 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

:scratchchin:  Really?  This thing has gone through two sons cars and twice in the boat.

Yep, Sony used to make solid stuff and JBL of the present is mostly trading on their name. 

Everything works, that's what makes it a tough decision.  JBL Head unit works, s/p remote works, 2 jbl speakers work and sound ok.  Just lacking quite a bit when cruising.

56 minutes ago, Chuck Schmidt said:

Just lacking quite a bit when cruising.

This is usually addressed with more speakers and more wattage. If there is no external amplifier, adding one can make a significant different in not only volume but clarity, especially at higher volumes. More speakers = more volume.