clean getaway

Sig 290 center windshield and radar arch track for bimini

Hello Everyone,

Trying to get the little things fixed as boating season is right around the corner. The end of the year I had a small rock hit the center window of my 2006 Sig 290 and into a million pieces, Taylor Made does not have the part number any longer as this windshield was made in an old plant, also I need the track that the canvas slides in that attaches to the radar arch. Any ideas on part numbers or where I can get the track?

Thank You Scott

14 minutes ago, clean getaway said:

Hello Everyone,

Trying to get the little things fixed as boating season is right around the corner. The end of the year I had a small rock hit the center window of my 2006 Sig 290 and into a million pieces, Taylor Made does not have the part number any longer as this windshield was made in an old plant, also I need the track that the canvas slides in that attaches to the radar arch. Any ideas on part numbers or where I can get the track?

Thank You Scott

If the frame on the center window is ok, remove it and take it to a glass co.  It's only tempered glass which is pretty standard.  But check and see if it has that slight green tint to it and try to match it. Might be a much easier and cheaper way to do it than buying an entire new frame.

As far as the bimini track, try Great Lakes supply.com, supposedly they have all sorts of stuff for Chaparral arches.

Thanks Hatem, I have already been down both of those roads. The track for the radar arch is  specially molded to fit the radar arch and has to come from Chaparral according to Taylor Made. It is not very easy to get in touch with Chaparral these days.

Here's the link to the part list for your boat. Suggest printing or saving it soon. These drop off Chaparral's website without advance warning from time to time.

http://www.chaparralboats.com/publications/uploaded_files/partGuides/Signature/2006/290.pdf

The windshield will have to be dealt with locally by a glass shop. Too many model years have passed. Great Lakes and eBay are hit or miss, but a periodic look never hurts. The track looks to be part number 28-00014 (see Page 9). I believe you'll find nothing on the web. But, if this is the track, it was used as recently as 2014 on the 285 SSX.  Perhaps an email or call to Cecil Marine. Alternatively, a walk through Home Depot or Lowe's, a bit of creativity and an adapt and overcome approach. I doubt it's molded to the contour of the arch; instead, it's probably flexible enough to adapt to the contour when fastened properly. Best wishes.  

I just got done doing the center windshield on my 290.  The center windshield is the same exact one used on the 280 signature and TM has the part number for that.  I'm at work now but when I get home I can get you the part number and the part number for the rubber seals that go around with window as well.  I can tell you this, TM charged me 800 for just the glass.  There is nothing special about that glass, it is not curved or anything, so if you have a local glass company I would go with them. 

On 3/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, clean getaway said:

Thanks Hatem, I have already been down both of those roads. The track for the radar arch is  specially molded to fit the radar arch and has to come from Chaparral according to Taylor Made. It is not very easy to get in touch with Chaparral these days.

I hear ya.  Scott, I'm positive you can get the glass installed from a competent glass store.  I bet the gaskets are also reusable on that windscreen.

As far as the bimini track, you're talking about that vinyl C-channel, right?  What's wrong with the original one?

Hey GreatLakesSkipper has one for the Sig 280.  Just ask for the exact measurement and double check to make sure it fits.  I'm almost 99% sure it does, cause I'm pretty sure that's the one I bought from Taylor Made.

$249.95 from Great Lakes Skipper
Boat part number 7200911 is a new OEM center walkthrough windshield door for a 280 Signature model Chaparral Boat

Window.jpg

That's awesome.  Nice find.  Now is it me or is it an optical illusion, but do the top and bottom rails have curves on them?  It looks that way.  If so, that mean the glass is also curved and that would be much more difficult to have a glass shop make.

EDIT:  And there's that green tint in the glass I mentioned earlier as well.  I noticed the glass on my 276ssx also has that ever so slight green tint that you see in certain lights and angles and conditions.  Plus I have the all-glass rounded corners with no frames which I'm sure would be a royal nightmare to find replacements for.  Hope I never have to deal with that.

It is totally an optical illusion as I replaced the glass in mine myself.  It does have a slight green color to it and the corners are slightly rounded as well.  But heck if he get the one about he's good.

Lost the port windshield on my 2004 sig. 2 years ago. Contacted insurance company and it was covered. Called Water Front marine in Somers Point NJ and they ordered from Chap and installed, no problem, complete with frame. Had no idea how the windshield shattered, covered the boat on Sunday, uncovered the following Saturday and it was shattered.

1 hour ago, firstoffscott said:

Lost the port windshield on my 2004 sig. 2 years ago. Contacted insurance company and it was covered. Called Water Front marine in Somers Point NJ and they ordered from Chap and installed, no problem, complete with frame. Had no idea how the windshield shattered, covered the boat on Sunday, uncovered the following Saturday and it was shattered.

Was it a completely rounded one-piece at the corners like mine and some of these slightly older models?  Can't imagine these being easily available or the cost of one.

8ah1ax4.jpg

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input, but I finally got the parts numbers from Chaparral and got the glass ordered from Taylor Made for 200. My frame is 2" bigger than the one from the 280, mine is 24" and the glass does have a slight curve. I also called great lakes canvas dept and the part around the radar arch that the bimini attaches is called a slide track or c channel, and they sell it in 20' sections. 

The slide track got broken while I had the boat at a shop to have my generator worked on ( lol go figure right)( biggest pyle) and the boat was parked next to his building and we had several days of crazy rain and the rain ran off on the top corner of the bimini and the slide track split.

2 hours ago, clean getaway said:

Thanks for the input, but I finally got the parts numbers from Chaparral and got the glass ordered from Taylor Made for 200. My frame is 2" bigger than the one from the 280, mine is 24" and the glass does have a slight curve.

Wow, $200?  That's a lot better than some of the other numbers we heard.  And curved?  Can you post the exact contact info for Taylor Made you used so we can all have it?

2 hours ago, clean getaway said:

The slide track got broken while I had the boat at a shop to have my generator worked on ( lol go figure right)( biggest pyle) and the boat was parked next to his building and we had several days of crazy rain and the rain ran off on the top corner of the bimini and the slide track split. 

I figured Greatlakes would have that.  Although, I must be honest with you and question the reason given for why it split.  Rain running off the top of the bimini causing the vinyl C-channel to split is a bit shady at best.

I'm looking at mine and wondering how it's fastened to the arch itself.  Looks like it has its own groove filled with some type of caulking and maybe also screw somewhere else.

jOOuYsU.jpg

The Glass isn't curved the frame is curved and makes it appear the glass is as well.  When you remove the glass and place it on a flat surface it's flat as a pancake.  Literally, just replaced mine two months ago and did the work on my living room floor.  Clean Getaway if you wouldn't mind could you please send me directly a copy of your invoice? Cause Taylor Made charged me $800 for the same exact piece of glass.  I think they owe me some deer.  My email is shawn.rubeck@yahoo.com

Or if for some reason you don't want to send me the actual invoice, if you could please just send me the part number for the glass and I'll call and act like I want to order one and see what price they quote me.  Then if it's 200 deer, I'll attempt to get some of my deer back.  Would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

2 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

Or if for some reason you don't want to send me the actual invoice, if you could please just send me the part number for the glass and I'll call and act like I want to order one and see what price they quote me.  Then if it's 200 deer, I'll attempt to get some of my deer back.  Would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Honest to goodness, that is EXACTLY why I made that comment if you noticed that?  Here it is to remind you:

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, Hatem said:

Wow, $200?  That's a lot better than some of the other numbers we heard.  And curved?  Can you post the exact contact info for Taylor Made you used so we can all have it?

There it is.  I was indirectly hinting to you that if he paid for even what appeared to be a slightly larger glass than yours, that perhaps you need to talk to them for charging you 4 times what he paid for the same thing and even a bit bigger by 2 inches.  GO GET THEM!  And even show them this thread and we'll back you up.  That will light a fire under their asses if they see others knowing about this.

ALSO, imagine if his is actually curved on top of all that?  That means it should be MUCH MUCH more than what you paid for it, not 4 times less!  Good luck.

Exactly!  I'm just waiting to see what Clean Getaway say's the part number he ordered was.  Cause the glass I ordered fits perfectly and we have the same exact boat. Mine is a 2005 his is a 2006 so the windshield didn't change styles or size.  Of course having his invoice from Taylor Made will surely seal the deal.