Sign in to follow this  
CCawthorn

Newbie - battery / start up issue

Hi All, I just purchased a '99 Chaparral 233 Sunesta with about 570 hrs.  The boat is in very good condition.  The previous owner seemed very forthcoming with issues he was aware of, none of which I felt was super major, and I feel comfortable that he's been honest with me.  When we met to test drive the boat he brought a new battery with him as he assumed the installed batteries may be dead due to the boat sitting in a storage lot for the last few months.  While connecting the battery he said he had a new alternator installed, along with new risers and manifolds, a tune up and had the carburetor rebuilt.  The risers and manifolds appeared like new to me.  When he started up the engine it turned over a bit weak at first, but then it started up and engine sounded good.  It stalled a few times when warming up but started right up again just fine each time.  We went out for about a 30 min ride and the boat seemed to perform just fine.  

We came back in to shore, shut down the engine at the dock and negotiated and chatted for about 20-30 min.  When we went to start up again to get the boat on the trailer, it didn't turn over, it just clicked and sounded like the newly installed battery didn;t have enough juice to.  We thought the battery might be bad, so we parted ways and I took the boat with me to Autozone to have the battery checked, which checkout just fine as 100% charged.

On the way home I talked to a mechanic friend who told me that the re-start issue with it sounding like the battery is near dead, could be a couple of issues.  1)  moisture is getting into cylinders or 2)  the carburetor is putting too much fuel in the engine and needs a rebuild.  I checked the engine oil about 10 min after shutting down the motor and the oil seemed fine and not milky, so I am guessing/hoping its not #1.  Assuming the carburetor was rebuilt as the previous owner said, I'm not sure how likely another rebuilt is necessary.

Has anyone had the same restart issue and come across other types of problems / solutions?  Thanks so much for any help and insights.  And as I learn more about my boat I look forward to sharing as well.

Clicking...easy day...It's the solenoid located on the top of the engine.  Cheap part and easy to replace.  Or it's the solenoid on your starter.  Start with one on top of the engine, I'm pretty sure that's the problem.  If not, replace the one on the starter or simply replace the starter.  Obviously, check all wire connections and make sure there is no corrosion on the battery terminals.  No big deal.  As for the stalling etc.  I would suspect the gas was sitting in the boat for awhile, so bad gas will do that.  Need to put some fuel treatment in the tank.  Also, remove your fuel water separator(s) and empty the gas into a glass jar to see if you see any water.  Replace the fuel water separator(s) and your in-line fuel filters if you have them on that boat.

9 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

A failing cable connection or starter can emulate a dead battery. 

Yep!!

I would also check the voltage at the battery before, during and after shut down. The battery voltage should be about (off the top of my head) 14.5 volts with the engine running. This shows that the ALT is putting out to recharge the battery. With the engine off, about 13.5 volts