Gorbonz

Port window upgrades?

Hello, I'm new to Chapparal boats and the forum, just purchased a 2003 240 signature last year. I love the boat and the quality of the product given it is 15 years old. I have a question regarding the port windows and if there are any possible upgrades. I have attached a picture of the design that is on the 2003 and a newer design I have seen on likely 2010 or newer Chaparrals. I'm curious if it is possible to change out to the newer design or if anyone has done any other upgrades on old design to stop the leaking which I can only assume is at the seal for the glass. I like the newer design better as it doesn't retain water on the outer side of the glass so less chance of leaks.

2003 window design.jpg

Newer window design.jpg

2 hours ago, Gorbonz said:

Hello, I'm new to Chapparal boats and the forum, just purchased a 2003 240 signature last year. I love the boat and the quality of the product given it is 15 years old. I have a question regarding the port windows and if there are any possible upgrades. I have attached a picture of the design that is on the 2003 and a newer design I have seen on likely 2010 or newer Chaparrals. I'm curious if it is possible to change out to the newer design or if anyone has done any other upgrades on old design to stop the leaking which I can only assume is at the seal for the glass. I like the newer design better as it doesn't retain water on the outer side of the glass so less chance of leaks.

2003 window design.jpg

Newer window design.jpg

Not impossible but tough to do and might not be worth changing the old one to that new one for obvious reasons.  The shape of the ovals is quite different.  Your original one has much sharper and pointier ends, whereas the newer one has more rounded ends.  That would mean the cutout in the hull would need to be modified considerably and that's just a lot of difficult glass work as you can imagine. 

Best bet is to unscrew the current porthole from the outside and inside, remove it carefully and clean the contact area really well.  Change gaskets (or make new ones yourself if you can't find the original ones) and reinstall with the appropriate sealer and you should be good to go.

The other option is go with a different style that's bigger than the current opening (as long as it fits on the inside) and cut the hull accordignly.  Much more difficult process and more considerations to keep in mind such as the interior wall finishes. 

21 hours ago, Gorbonz said:

2003 window design.jpg

Newer window design.jpg

I had the same problem. I called Chap and they did nothing on this topic. Other things they bent over backwards. But I add thin layer of gasket material to the seal. Its been six years going on seven so we will see about this year.  A $5 fix per window.

But how long are you going to keep the boat you need to ask your self.  Every boat I bought, I thought that one was one the last one, here I am 22 years later. On my 5th boat and looking for another one.

Thanks, Iggy. I was thinking the something similar an oversized o-ring or even add some silicone to the seal and don't bother opening the windows.

13 hours ago, Gorbonz said:

Thanks, Iggy. I was thinking the something similar an oversized o-ring or even add some silicone to the seal and don't bother opening the windows.

I thought you were interested in changing the entire window from the one you have to the other style in the yellow boat pic you posted? 

If you just want to fix that, you can do it yourself really easily without going through Chaparral.  It looks like all you need is a new rubber gasket/seal and possibly even change the old screen and put a new one it.  All items you can find at Home Depot or Lowes or even your local hardware store. 

Hello Hatem, I would prefer to change the window out to a better design that doesn't hold water at the seal until it evaporates or leaks past the seal. Was asking if Chapparal came out with a replacement window for this poorly designed one that would fit the opening. If there is nothing available to fit the exact opening then I'm resigned to replace the seal and hope for the best. 

10 hours ago, Gorbonz said:

Hello Hatem, I would prefer to change the window out to a better design that doesn't hold water at the seal until it evaporates or leaks past the seal. Was asking if Chapparal came out with a replacement window for this poorly designed one that would fit the opening. If there is nothing available to fit the exact opening then I'm resigned to replace the seal and hope for the best. 

Try calling this place here: https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=porthole+window&cat quite a few members recently have been talking about how they've been finding exactly what they're looking for for their boats, and not necessarily standard items, either.  They might have the newer style that has a better frame and seal than the older style you have and at the same time be very close to the same dimensions as the one you have where you might have to make very slight modifications to the opening to make it fit.

As long as you can cut a little bit more out of the fiberglass hull and interior to make the new window fit, that's not too bad and really easy to do.  If you have to do a lot more cutting and re-glassing, then it's probably not worth it.  But you might get lucky and they have one or two for you or they can direct you to somewhere else that can help find the right one.

12 hours ago, Gorbonz said:

Your better off with doing the seals. Replacing the windows means glass work and dealing with the liner on the inside. At times a place a small rag under the window to catch the water. Its a pain, but I don't open them every time I am on the boat. Good luck with it!