cyclops2

I was more offended to day. By Home Despot.

I am walking up to check out.  ONLY   SELF CHECK OUT is available.  Get me the manager.

Tootsie says all the stores are doing ONLY self check out now.  I ask her. Do you work for nothing ? Does the H D Board of Directors work for nothing ?  I tried the self check outs at first. More than 1/2 the time I had delays of people confused . Product or price errors. WAIT FOR EVER for a person to clear the error  / Errors.   Customers are trash to big chains. 

She finally said " You  can always check out at the PRO CONTRACTOR or Customer Service  counters."  NO CHECK OUT signs there. 

I replied. " I will find other stores to gladly replace you. "

I failed the  "Dummy Customer " test.

Oh well

Good for you for voting with your dollars.  I sincerely wish more folks would do the same.

Depends on who's working check out.  Also, if I have a lot of stuff too buy, normal check out is easier. But a small one item widget, self check out.

This is the beginning stages of "robotics" replacing humans.  Unless you're in the auto industry.

I refuse to use the self check out.  I won't do it at the grocery or the big box home stores.  I suspect the employees know that this is the beginning of the end of their jobs  - sad.    Years ago, at a prior job, the software people convinced us that their new product could eliminate the need for 2 employees to manually do similar (clerical) work.  They left out the part about $100 / hr to trouble shoot the software when it went down.  - From that point forward I have been leery of how fabulous "disruptive" technology is.   I want to vomit when I hear someone in skinny jeans using the word.  

If you want everything automated, then don't complain when AOC wants your tax dollars for universal basic income (redistribution).  

I already have a jar filled with food  & water. Plus 3 wires...………... +  -   and the web with Directtv on the 3rd.

Remove the brain & plug in the 3 wires.       Life is good !!                  :mandancing:

Not to far down the road.    Only for the elitists.             No Chap riff raff...……..  :clapsmiley:

I hope the solution is at 89.6 F.    My normal aging body temp.

Oh well    :D

As a builder/general contractor, most of the time I have a cart full of large items such as sheets of plywood and boards of various long lengths etc., so I go through the contractor's check out line.  But when I go there just to get a can of paint, some Elmer's wood glue and some electrical tape, I use the self checkout line all the time. Super easy once you use it the first time and get used to it, it's actually not bad at all.

19 hours ago, VAboater said:

I refuse to use the self check out.  I won't do it at the grocery or the big box home stores.  I suspect the employees know that this is the beginning of the end of their jobs  - sad.    Years ago, at a prior job, the software people convinced us that their new product could eliminate the need for 2 employees to manually do similar (clerical) work.  They left out the part about $100 / hr to trouble shoot the software when it went down.  - From that point forward I have been leery of how fabulous "disruptive" technology is.   I want to vomit when I hear someone in skinny jeans using the word.  

If you want everything automated, then don't complain when AOC wants your tax dollars for universal basic income (redistribution).  

I've got to respectfully disagree.  This is the free market at work.  I'm 48 years old (so don't confuse me with the younger generation), but I truly believe the market is finding its equilibrium.  Good entry-level employees are becoming harder and harder to find.  They want more money for less effort.  They don't want to give 110% (or even 80%) for entry-level work.  Cashiers at many stores are becoming tatted up, pierced all over,  and rude.  I don't want to deal with them.  I'm in the very high end service industry, and it's hard to find entry-level employees who are willing to adopt our values and portray the concierge image that high-end executives and wealthy individuals expect. 

So of course many of these entry-level jobs are going the way of automation.  And that's nothing new.  Think back.  Gasoline attendants are now all but gone, ATMs were introduced in the 80s, robots in car factories have been around since the 1960s, projectionists were replaced in almost all movie theaters years ago, toll roads have all but replaced toll collectors.  Remember the days of elevator operators?  How about pin setters at bowling alleys?  Point being, this has been going on for decades and maybe even centuries.  And what about the jobs (and entire industries) that have been borne from this automation?  The developers, the engineers, the technicians.  

To lump this in with AOC's nutty ideas, is almost as crazy as her Green Deal garbage itself.  The fact that much of the younger generation is disincentivized to take an entry-level job is our own fault (from the parenting perspective) but it's also driving up the value of trade school and even college degree programs such as engineering, computer science, etc.  It has nothing to do with any push for basic income, and your refusal to utilize a self-checkout will have zero effect on any of the above.

All good points, TP. As someone else stated, if I am picking up one or two things, then I will do the self checkout. But for a full fledged grocery shopping trip? No way. In our area, we have had three major grocery store chains for years. Recently, one went out of business. It was the one that made you bag your own groceries and had the least amount of human customer service. The others, although do have some self checkout lanes, still have a number of cashiers and baggers. I think we as humans do need some degree of interaction with real people.

Greedy business people always complain about not enough profit for their next super yacht.

Yet some companies LARGE and small have no problems with well paid  and full " old time  " benefits. Including on site nurseries & maternity leave.

So greed  and excessive spending  by top management DO  DO  destroy companies.  Bad management destroys a company.  Not bad workers.

Bloomberg News covers LOADS of …….Management leaders that save abused companies. They do it all their life times.  Without breaking any laws..

Oh well

3 hours ago, tomnjo said:

All good points, TP. As someone else stated, if I am picking up one or two things, then I will do the self checkout. But for a full fledged grocery shopping trip? No way. In our area, we have had three major grocery store chains for years. Recently, one went out of business. It was the one that made you bag your own groceries and had the least amount of human customer service. The others, although do have some self checkout lanes, still have a number of cashiers and baggers. I think we as humans do need some degree of interaction with real people.

The Kroger near us has an interesting program.  As you walk in, there's a display with about 20 scanning guns and rolls of plastic bags.  You take a gun, as many bags as you think you'll need, scan your rewards card, and go shopping.  You scan your item and put it in a bag.  When you leave, you go to a kiosk, scan the barcode on the kiosk, and all your purchases are transferred to that machine where you swipe your credit card or input cash.  Really quick and convenient.  Soon, stores will have everything tagged with a RFID tag.  If your credit card is on file, you will simply walk out the door and everything in your cart is identified and billed to your credit card.  For somebody who tries to spend as little time in stores as possible, I think this is an amazing time saver.

I do like the gun idea. Now if they could make that darn barcode easier to find. It always seems to be on the last side of the item that I look.  :rolleyes:

At Sam's Club my wife can scan with her phone as she shops.  Pays with phone when finished.  I still go through the (self scan) line.  We don't buy cart loads of stuff there.

14 hours ago, tomnjo said:

I do like the gun idea. Now if they could make that darn barcode easier to find. It always seems to be on the last side of the item that I look.  :rolleyes:

Well, I hope you stop looking after you find it!  :lol:

5 hours ago, Futzin' said:

At Sam's Club my wife can scan with her phone as she shops.  Pays with phone when finished.  I still go through the (self scan) line.  We don't buy cart loads of stuff there.

Hmmm....I need to try that.  It's so hard to make sure you scan everything after filling the cart.

I do not like my  financial data in every store I use.  McMaster -Carr does not have a C C file on me.  Major chains can & do keep your financial data in their files.  So big hacker have a easier time getting you.

I avoid all stores that demand a account be setup.

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I do not like my  financial data in every store I use.  McMaster -Carr does not have a C C file on me.  Major chains can & do keep your financial data in their files.  So big hacker have a easier time getting you.

I avoid all stores that demand a account be setup.

I don't mind a CC on file.  Easy to dispute.  But I will NEVER keep a debit card on file and almost never use it at a merchant.  You may get your money back, but not until weeks after they drain your checking account!

12 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I don't mind a CC on file.  Easy to dispute.  But I will NEVER keep a debit card on file and almost never use it at a merchant.  You may get your money back, but not until weeks after they drain your checking account!

Yep, I have had charges removed from my credit card on more than a few occasions. Usually on things I did not receive or things that were not as advertised that I returned.

Those self checkout lines used to pixx me off, it was like ur taking my money AND im doing your job 4 u !?!?!? but now I have accepted that fact that yes, I am doing their job too and happily use them ...although I still try to use the "little" stores when I can and do my part to help my fellow small business people

On 3/21/2019 at 12:12 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

Well, I hope you stop looking after you find it!  :lol:

Now if they could make that darn barcode easier to find. It always seems to be on the last side

If you pay attention, when you are looking for something , it will always be in the last place you look, answer, look there first.  Denny.:scratchchin:

17 hours ago, Denny said:

If you pay attention, when you are looking for something , it will always be in the last place you look, answer, look there first.  Denny.:scratchchin:

Ha!  Truth! :haha-7383: