Sign in to follow this  
jakester1967

Any Scheduled Boat Outings near Miami or Fort Lauderdale

Hello fellow Chap owners...Just curious as to if anyone has heard of or planning any type of get together this summer in the Miami or Fort Lauderdale area.  We love the boating on this side and would really like to do some more exploring of Biscayne Bay and the upper Keys.

3 hours ago, jakester1967 said:

Hello fellow Chap owners...Just curious as to if anyone has heard of or planning any type of get together this summer in the Miami or Fort Lauderdale area.  We love the boating on this side and would really like to do some more exploring of Biscayne Bay and the upper Keys.

I'm up for it.  We were planning of trailering the boat all the way from Boston to Miami to meet up with @jeffk. spend a day on the sandbar and a night on South Beach and then head south to Islamorada. But if Biscayne Bay sounds like a better and easier option, I'm also up for that.

Only problem we have is we were scheduled to do this end of early October so that we take advantage of our short summers up here and extend it by going to Florida in the fall to extend our boating season.   Not sure if that falls in with yours others' schedule.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

I'm up for it.  We were planning of trailering the boat all the way from Boston to Miami to meet up with @jeffk. spend a day on the sandbar and a night on South Beach and then head south to Islamorada. But if Biscayne Bay sounds like a better and easier option, I'm also up for that.

Only problem we have is we were scheduled to do this end of early October so that we take advantage of our short summers up here and extend it by going to Florida in the fall to extend our boating season.   Not sure if that falls in with yours others' schedule.

Sounds like a perfect trip planned...We will definitely be up for an outing, just keep me posted on your travel plans and hopefully we will find some more fun spots to show you all if it works out.

I am in north miami.

I know Hatem wants to go to Jupiter....something about meeting up with Robert Kraft?

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, jakester1967 said:

Sounds like a perfect trip planned...We will definitely be up for an outing, just keep me posted on your travel plans and hopefully we will find some more fun spots to show you all if it works out.

Sounds like a plan!  And I will do everything in my power to stick to it.  Last year fell apart because of 2 reasons.  Well, more like 3.  1) I totally spaced out which week it was and thought it was the next week from which we planned due to the business and stress of work while Jeff called me wondering WTF and why I wasn't communicating with him. 2) the timeline lined up perfectly with a severe case of red tide that plagued the east coast of Florida from North Miami down to the Keys from what I remember and that would've made boating and swimming and beaching and snorkeling a moot point.  Trailering a 29ft boat all the way down the entire length of the eastern seaboard to watch it sit on the trailer was not an appealing thought, despite the fact we would've still been in the company of some phenomenally great people and be in Florida and 3) I run a small business and while that does give me the ability to come and go as I please, it also limits me when that time is in between wrapping up one project and starting another which was also the case at that time and I needed to be there.  I will make every effort in my power to circumvent those 3 aspects when the time comes.

Maybe we should set a tentative timetable & date now and try to stick to it and that would give us ample time to make adjustments accordingly?  It might also give others a lot more time to entice them to join us.  How does the middle of October sound to you and others?

1 hour ago, jeffk said:

I am in north miami.

I know Hatem wants to go to Jupiter....something about meeting up with Robert Kraft?

:haha-7383:  Well done, my friend, well done! :clapsmiley:Fortunately for me, I've been happily married for a little over 30 years.  And while I do have full permission from the CEO to look nonchalantly,  I am not and neither am I interested in touching.  And I certainly have no need to visit a massage parlor for a rub & tug.  Not sure what that old man who's worth over $5.6 billion needed to do what he did.  Believe me, as die-hard New England Patriots fans, the majority of us are not only beyond surprised, but quite disappointed.

Everyone has their moments.

Too much is being made of it.

But it is funny!

Well I am actually new to this side for boating but we want to explore around more and hit the "fun spots" so to speak.  We have found the Haulover sand bar which is fun but I bet that place can get pretty wild!!!  Just explored some in Biscayne Bay...Stiltsville and Boca Chita which was amazing.  We want to head even further south to Elliott key and lower to see what it has to offer.  This Thursday we take the boat down to Islamorada for a long weekend outing at the Coral Bay Resort, very excited!!!  We will be up for a get together if it all works out, just keep us posted when you and @jeffk decide on a date.

The cove opposite he sandbar is a nice anchorage.

About 3 mile south of bear cut is a nice sandbar also.

Haulover can get crazy if you are in the shallow water, we go towards the gas dock and it is not too bad.

In Ft lauderdale look for lake sylvia, great anchorage.

jk

thanks @jeffkwe actually put in at the Crandon Park marina last time and it is by far the best ramp around.  Haulover is nice but way too crowded and the parking for tailers is almost a free for all on dirt...is lake sylvia a no wake zone?

Lake sylvia is an anchorage up by lauderdale.

I have seen people tubing there, but I believe it is a no wake zone.

We stay at crandon overnight quite a bit.

There is a nice anchorage about a mile south.

I dont know much about ramps, I believe ther is another one at 79th st...probably crowded also.