NEW VP Drive Bellows

Decided I would change out my U-joint drive bellows this year even though existing ones look good with no signs of cracking or deterioration however not sure how old they are. Original owner says he never changed it so that would make twelve years old. Not sure if I believe it. My unit is a 2006 VP Dou Prop with SX-M transom assembly. My manual says drive bellows part number 3854127. My VP dealer advised new bellows kit part number 23075752 which I picked up yesterday. The actual bellows new number is 22988856. Upon opening the box I find what VP is calling a New Bellows Design which is suppose to be a more durable for extended service life. This new bellow has a hard plastic corrugated section with the ends being a softer rubber material. My concern is it doesn't look to be very flexible. Wondering if anybody has any experience with this new and improved  U -joint bellows.

Winter is finally almost over.  Ice starting to break up on Lake Erie. Sure would be nice to be south. 

49 minutes ago, whaler said:

Should I use bellows adhesive or leave dry. Thanks.

Could you kindly post a link to those new bellows?  I might do the same exact thing and use that if it works on my 2010 8.1VP.  And if Volvo recommends using the adhesive, then yes, absolutely.  Post some pics when you do it so we can all learn, please.  :)

1 hour ago, whaler said:

Should I use bellows adhesive or leave dry. Thanks.

I brushed a thin coat of Permatex Aviation gasket maker on the gimbal end of mine last year and just greased up the U-joint "nose" end when I did mine.

Hatem -- I Googled Volvo Penta Part #23075752 and the link below came up as well as several others. This supplier is in Williamstown, New Jersey and looks like a Volvo supplier. I did not purchase from them as I'm in Canada so went to a dealer here. Also there already exists a very good photo description someone did on a Volvo sx drive. I"ll try and find where it is and advise. 

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com  

Hatem can't figure out how to post a link but if you Google -- Replacing Bellows on a Volvo SX drive-- you should find a heading for

" Replacing Bellows on a SX drive (pic heavy) Page 1 - iboats  that should take you to a pretty good tutorial with pictures on a SX drive. I have no idea if t would be the same as yours. 

Not very computer savvy.  

Hope this helps --Whaler 

Not a bad idea to change them. 10 years is rule of thumb, one of mine cracked at 12 years. My brother is changing his now. They lasted 19 years. I have been telling him to change them for the last 5 years. He was definitely on borrowed time.

Hello,

This bellows kit ( 23075752 ) has been available for about 2 years now. When Volvo ( and most other manufacturers ) put several parts together

I.E. bellows, hose clamp & instructions they will commonly make a new part for the kit.

If for any reason they would change or as we call it superseded one of the 3 parts in the kit manufactures will change the kit part number as well.

So part # 23075752 is still a good part number.

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/60-07-u-joint-bellows-kit-genuine-volvo-23075752-in-stock-ready-to-ship/

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:51 PM, whaler said:

Hatem -- I Googled Volvo Penta Part #23075752 and the link below came up as well as several others. This supplier is in Williamstown, New Jersey and looks like a Volvo supplier. I did not purchase from them as I'm in Canada so went to a dealer here. Also there already exists a very good photo description someone did on a Volvo sx drive. I"ll try and find where it is and advise. 

Thank you, for that information, Whaler. Cecil Marine?  Never heard of them..............LOL!  Inside joke; they own the advertising monopoly on this forum and have for many, many years.

BTW, just out of curiosity on your username, did you pick that because you enjoy wales or are you a former Hartford Whalers fan? :) I ask because as an avid Boston Bruins fan, I remember the great rivalry and games we got to witness between the two teams through the years until the Hartford Whalers moved to one of the Carolinas and have become the Carolina Hurricanes and just recently, the came to Boston Garden to play the Bruins and dawned the old throwback Hartford Whalers uniform for that one game.  It was great to see.

AR-181228812.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:50 PM, whaler said:

Hatem can't figure out how to post a link but if you Google -- Replacing Bellows on a Volvo SX drive-- you should find a heading for

" Replacing Bellows on a SX drive (pic heavy) Page 1 - iboats  that should take you to a pretty good tutorial with pictures on a SX drive. I have no idea if t would be the same as yours. 

Not very computer savvy.  

Hope this helps --Whaler 

Yes, helps greatly, thank you, sir!  Appreciate it very much.  That's an awesome thread!  Read through the entire thing and I LOVE pic-heavy threads, something you don't really see quite often on this board except from most of mine and maybe a handful or other members.  I have several projects coming up really soon that will be flooded with pictures.

I say proceed with your bellows replacement and try to take some pics as much as possible and post them for us to learn. Best of luck.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, NJ Chaparral Dealer said:

Hello,

This bellows kit ( 23075752 ) has been available for about 2 years now. When Volvo ( and most other manufacturers ) put several parts together

I.E. bellows, hose clamp & instructions they will commonly make a new part for the kit.

If for any reason they would change or as we call it superseded one of the 3 parts in the kit manufactures will change the kit part number as well.

So part # 23075752 is still a good part number.

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/60-07-u-joint-bellows-kit-genuine-volvo-23075752-in-stock-ready-to-ship/

50 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Thank you, for that information, Whaler. Cecil Marine?  Never heard of them..............LOL!  Inside joke; they own the advertising monopoly on this forum and have for many, many years.

BTW, just out of curiosity on your username, did you pick that because you enjoy wales or are you a former Hartford Whalers fan? :) I ask because as an avid Boston Bruins fan, I remember the great rivalry and games we got to witness between the two teams through the years until the Hartford Whalers moved to one of the Carolinas and have become the Carolina Hurricanes and just recently, the came to Boston Garden to play the Bruins and dawned the old throwback Hartford Whalers uniform for that one game.  It was great to see.

AR-181228812.jpg

Yes, helps greatly, thank you, sir!  Appreciate it very much.  That's an awesome thread!  Read through the entire thing and I LOVE pic-heavy threads, something you don't really see quite often on this board except from most of mine and maybe a handful or other members.  I have several projects coming up really soon that will be flooded with pictures.

I say proceed with your bellows replacement and try to take some pics as much as possible and post them for us to learn. Best of luck.

I'm reluctant to ask you since you don't seem to answer me lately which is embarrassing to me.  Not sure why and seekm like either I'm being ignored for some strange and unknown reason (let me know so I can apologize if I was in the wrong and make things better.)  But I'll try again anyway, perhaps for the last time - would you know if that particular bellow would work for my VP 8.1 Gi-J with a DPS-A outdrive?  Or do I have to go with what my manual suggest only and avoid this one which appears to be of much better quality and stronger-lasting rubber. Thanks.

Hatem -- the spelling of my last name is Woehl -- 73 years ago I was told it is pronounced Whale. For some reason in high school I picked up the nick name of Whaler.  All of my boats since the first one at age 17 have been named "The Whaler".  I'm up to #14 now my last being 330 Chaparral Signature. Unfortunately my wife had a heart attack /stroke so is unable to boat. Downsized to a 248 Fourwinns to play with which is a really nice boat however a bit to small so presently looking for 270 / 290 Chaparrals.

I don't follow hockey too much. Lost interested after the second expansion way back when and game became more about money. 

As far as the bellows being useable on your DPS-A drive I would go with what your manual calls for or check it out with Cecil Marine.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:51 PM, whaler said:

Very cool.  You'll find better pricing at other stores and locations.  And people who will actually reply to your questions!

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:50 PM, whaler said:

Not very computer savvy.  

Hope this helps --Whaler  

Excellent.  No worries about posting pictures.  Like I mentioned on the PM, I'll be more than happy to walk you through the easy steps to post large pics on this site.

I wish you good fortune in the work you will be undertaking to change the bellows.  Please do NOT hesitate to ask an questions at all, even if you think they're stupid or embarrassing becase that's usually not the case!

I will be doing mine as well very soon.  Luckily for me I have a Volvo Penta distributor about a short 9 miles away and I deal with them all the time and so I'm a regular. They take care of me all the time an will  be getting my new manifolds, risers and elbows for replacement from them next week and will be getting busy thereafter changing them.  I will post pictures at the same time so stay tuned.  Good to have you around, my friend.  Someone who's owned 14 boats in their lifetime might just be a record on this forum!!!!  I don't think anyone can match that, not even the great and magnificent one-eyed Cylopoadopadopads who's been around since T-Rex roamed the great plains of Africa LOL! :D