TampaMike

Audio System Problem

I have a 2006 310 Signature. The audio has stopped working on the boat. The radio is fine. All the speakers stopped working. I have checked all the fuses I could find. 

I'm guessing there is an amp somewhere on the boat. I have not been able to locate it. The amp is either broken or there's an electrical issue. I have tried to trace the wires with no luck. I really don't want to start pulling things apart unless I have to. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

You might need two people. Shake the wires and have the other person try to hear where the wires are going. But first I would do some trouble shooting. How do you know the head unit is good? Have you hooked a speaker/s up to it to see? Than I would go after the amp.

consider getting a voltmeter and watch a few youtube videos on how to use these.  this can be a helpful tool to diagnose your problem.  

It helped me to determine that my head unit was dead last season.  

I"m going to assume you mean the radio is fine because it powers on....this is not always the case.

If you pull the radio and there are no RCA type cables connected to the unit, then it is highly likely you do NOT have an amp. 

First, get an external music source, like a boom box with detachable speakers. pull your radio and unplug the harness from the radio. Using a speaker lead from the boom box, touch them to the grey, green, purple, or white (as I recall) pairs of wire. You should heard music coming from whatever speaker you are touching. If this works, the internal amp in the head unit is more than likely dead and the unit needs replaced. 

If you have RCA cable connected to the head unit, then there is an external amp and now you will need to find that.

Are you the first owner? If so, then you can assume it's in the stock location from the factory, which I have no clue where that is. If you have looked in every cubby and under every seat, you might try pulling the 110V breaker panel and feel back in that cabinet. it could be back in there maybe.

If you are not the first owner, LOL....it could be anywhere. If they did it right, an aftermarket install should have a large 40amp or so fuse on the power feed to the amp. This should be located within 12" of the connection that should be directly made to the battery.

Good luck....

If you disconnected your batteries for the winter you missed a wire when you reconnected them?

There may be a breaker in your bilge.  My amp was wired with a breaker like this (https://www.wholesalemarine.com/lewmar-thermal-circuit-breaker/).  It was on the floor in the bilge near the batteries, but could be anywhere on your boat.  I unknowingly tripped it one day, and it took me a while to find it and learn that it was related to the amp.

21 hours ago, VAboater said:

consider getting a voltmeter and watch a few youtube videos on how to use these.  this can be a helpful tool to diagnose your problem.  

It helped me to determine that my head unit was dead last season.  

Yep! Rather than a speaker.

If power is getting to the head unit, the head unit is fine.  Stupid question cause my kids mess with my radio often, is there a mute button?  Also, I'm leaning towards it being the Amp since the head unit has power.   Besides a breaker, there may be an in-line fuse between the power cable to the amp and the battery.  Trace a speaker wire to find the amp not the power or ground wires cause the head unit's power and ground wire isn't connect to the amp. 

Thank you for all the feedback!

Stimpy - I'm not sure why I didn't think of your suggestion. There does not appear to be an amp. From the research I did, the stock JBL MR-17 head unit has given a ton of folks problems. 

The MUTE is not on and I have attempted to reset the unit using the reset button. Every function seems to work, but there's just no sound. Unfortunately, there are two JBL remotes also installed for this radio. It's not as simple as just replacing the head unit. My next step is to order a replacement MR-17 off of eBay. At least this way I will be able to using the wiring adapter that's already there and the two remotes. The wires coming in behind the stereo are in a very tight spot (and there's little slack). I can't imagine cutting off the adapter and trying to connect each of the wires to a new brand of stereo, as apparently JBL doesn't make standard head units any more.

you probably have an amp. check behind the cabin or cockpit sink.  my old MR17 had an amp in my 255, and all speakers worked off the amp.   did you try another source on the radio (ie. FM, Am, CD, xm).  

I tried all the sources - AUX, XM Radio, FM, AM. As Stimpy pointed out, the RCA cables are typically used between the head unit and the amp. In my case, the RCA connectors are not used. Instead, the wiring adapter is used - which has about 12 wires which likely go directly to the speakers and power source. I do find it odd that all the speakers would go out at once. A used replacement unit is about $50. As far as expenses go on a boat.....I'll take $50 any day.

I unplugged the remotes, as well as the AUX input coming in from the DVD player. I still had no sound. I tried a reset of the unit after unplugging...still no luck.