SmartCraft Network to Simrad Display

I have received plenty of help on this forum, and most likely without the assistance of some members here I would have NOT been able to fix many serious issues on my boat.

So I figured I would post one of my recent projects -- installing a new SmartCraft network to be able to display engine data on my Simrad G09 Screen and phone -- that maybe can help someone else in the future if they are trying to do a similar project.  I did learn a few things from my previous post "Vessel View Link Kit anyone has any experience with it" and from contacting Mercruiser support.

My boat is a 2006 Sig 290 with twin Mercruiser 5.0 and Bravo III outdrives.

Mercruiser emailed me the following chart 
Vessel%20View%20Link%20Twin%20Eng%2010%2

I purchased all the parts listed in the diagram, plus since the Vessel View MOBILE  was on sale for 149 Deer I added that on.
I ran the CAN harnesses (20ft long) from the engine bay to the helm, using the 2 inch PVC pipe on the starboard side of the boat, I should have ordered  one of those as 25ft long because the one from the port engine was almost too short.
I found a place under the dash to fit everything, and cut a piece of wood to mount all the parts -- See the images below.
After everything was connected, I had to take the boat into a Mercruiser certified service location to have the Port engine reprogramed  to read PORT (Thanks to Exoset - on my previous post) for letting me know about this. Without the reprograming I couldn't get the Mobile App to connect, once the service tech Re-programed it (only took him 10 min) all systems starting talking to  each other. Basically when the engines were placed in the boat they were all programed as Starboard Engines, unless the manufacturer was installing SmartCraft technology then they would re-program the Port engine to read PORT.
SmartCraft01Sml.jpg   SmartCraft02Sml.jpg  SmartCraft03Sml.jpg

Once all the items were secured to the board, all I had to do was install it under the dash and connect the CAN harness from Port and Starboard engines to the Junction boxes. Connect the power to the NMEA 2000 (NK2) and connect the NK2 to the Simrad. If I have to work on this setup in the future, I just disconnect those connections and remove the board.

The only thing not shown on diagram that Mercruiser sent me is the connection for the VV Mobile, I connected it directly to the Starboard Junction box, and so for less then 150 Deer I also get the data on my phone.

What a huge difference from the analog gauges. For example, the coolant temp on the analog displayed 165 Degrees for Port and 175 Degrees for Starboard. Now with the digital readout on the simrad, both run about 154 Degrees ...OIL pressure same thing. I an also see fuel per hour, RPM, Voltage, engine hours, fault codes... all together I spent 1450 deer and couldn't be happier with the results.

Hopefully someone will find this post helpful

I total get going from the analog to a screen. I have twin Volvo engines and my tech on one engine is not working. I bought a J1939 to NMEA 2000 gatway for 175 bucks and no programming needed. Now everything can be displayed ether on my GPS or a NMEA2K gauge.  My understanding of the J1939 protocol, that it is used in a lot of trucks and boats.    

This was easy to do and 1300 bucks cheaper. I am wondering if Merc is using this protocol too.  

A link to the J1939 CAN protocol https://www.csselectronics.com/screen/page/simple-intro-j1939-explained/language/en

Simrad makes this gauge which I am thinking of replacing my tech with. https://www.simrad-yachting.com/simrad/type/instruments/is35-digital-gauge/

A new tech is about 700 and this goes for 350 and display a tom more info. 

On 3/27/2019 at 5:50 AM, Iggy said:

I total get going from the analog to a screen. I have twin Volvo engines and my tech on one engine is not working. I bought a J1939 to NMEA 2000 gatway for 175 bucks and no programming needed. Now everything can be displayed ether on my GPS or a NMEA2K gauge.  My understanding of the J1939 protocol, that it is used in a lot of trucks and boats.    

This was easy to do and 1300 bucks cheaper. I am wondering if Merc is using this protocol too.  

A link to the J1939 CAN protocol https://www.csselectronics.com/screen/page/simple-intro-j1939-explained/language/en

Simrad makes this gauge which I am thinking of replacing my tech with. https://www.simrad-yachting.com/simrad/type/instruments/is35-digital-gauge/

A new tech is about 700 and this goes for 350 and display a tom more info. 

Can you expand on the Volvo part Iggy? What model year? What model engines? Which J1939 converter to NMEA 2k? Have you hooked it up yet?

As for J1939, it's a very common protocol used in many vehicles and industrial machines. I'm a computer engineer for the Army and we use it on military vehicles as well. It's simply a message protocol transmitted over a CAN bus. J1939 just spells out the language, but many other languages can be used on a CAN bus. A CAN bus is a communications network which is designed to allow prioritized and targeted communications between multiple devices on the network. Each sender has an ID and each receiver listens for the specific IDs it needs and ignores the rest. An arbitration method is used so that the highest priority sender is allowed to send its message first.

1 hour ago, rjbergen said:

Can you expand on the Volvo part Iggy? What model year? What model engines? Which J1939 converter to NMEA 2k? Have you hooked it up yet?

As for J1939, it's a very common protocol used in many vehicles and industrial machines. I'm a computer engineer for the Army and we use it on military vehicles as well. It's simply a message protocol transmitted over a CAN bus. J1939 just spells out the language, but many other languages can be used on a CAN bus. A CAN bus is a communications network which is designed to allow prioritized and targeted communications between multiple devices on the network. Each sender has an ID and each receiver listens for the specific IDs it needs and ignores the rest. An arbitration method is used so that the highest priority sender is allowed to send its message first.

I have a 2011 with twin 4.3L engines.  At the time I paid 25 less and it is not a Volvo part --  https://yachtdevicesus.com/collections/frontpage/products/engine-gateway-ydeg-04   There tech support was fair to good, but you maybe able to talk there tech language more then I. 

I am no expert, but the hardest thing was just the pin-outs from the engine to the gateway. One device works on both engines to read the data over NMEA2K.

Does this help??

On 3/29/2019 at 3:24 PM, Iggy said:

I have a 2011 with twin 4.3L engines.  At the time I paid 25 less and it is not a Volvo part --  https://yachtdevicesus.com/collections/frontpage/products/engine-gateway-ydeg-04   There tech support was fair to good, but you maybe able to talk there tech language more then I. 

I am no expert, but the hardest thing was just the pin-outs from the engine to the gateway. One device works on both engines to read the data over NMEA2K.

Does this help??

Yes, it helps. Your engines are newer than my 2006 ones. Mine are in a gray zone from the best I can tell. They don’t officially support J1939, but it’s supposedly still there. 

• 5 months later...

I have 2011 twin 4.3L engines. The gateway is from Yacht Devices. https://yachtdevicesus.com/collections/engine-gateways/products/engine-gateway-ydeg-04

In my case, is was very simple to install. My engines use the 1939J protocol, which means 5 wires from the engine compartment to the helm for all the gauges. It first goes to the tech, than to the rest of the gauges. So the gateway goes in between the connector and the tech. Almost plug and play, I just had to move 2 pins. Than attach  to the NMEA2k network and I was done. 

• 10 months later...
On 9/1/2019 at 7:48 AM, Iggy said:

I have 2011 twin 4.3L engines. The gateway is from Yacht Devices. https://yachtdevicesus.com/collections/engine-gateways/products/engine-gateway-ydeg-04

In my case, is was very simple to install. My engines use the 1939J protocol, which means 5 wires from the engine compartment to the helm for all the gauges. It first goes to the tech, than to the rest of the gauges. So the gateway goes in between the connector and the tech. Almost plug and play, I just had to move 2 pins. Than attach  to the NMEA2k network and I was done. 

Iggy,

Do you remember which pins you moved? I am tackling this project again and I have been unable to get it to communicate. Even though my set up is slightly different than yours (dual mercruisers). It sounds identical as far as wiring. I have five wires that run to the tach which is digital and then split out to the other analog style gauges.

Thanks.... Mike

Hi

Yellow to ground

Red - 12 volts

White - Can High

Light Blue - Can Low

Purple - ignition

Hope that works for you.

Thanks...That's a start but I think I need more explanation if you can help more. Did you move the pins (or cut & splice) on the tach plugin? Or on the gateway adapter? I have attached a picture of the harness plug that comes to the helm (normally connected to the tach) and is now plugged into the yacht devices harness unmodified.

I appreciate your help!

Mike

20200707_161806.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike Up North said:

Thanks...That's a start but I think I need more explanation if you can help more. Did you move the pins (or cut & splice) on the tach plugin? Or on the gateway adapter? I have attached a picture of the harness plug that comes to the helm (normally connected to the tach) and is now plugged into the yacht devices harness unmodified.

I appreciate your help!

Mike

20200707_161806.jpg

I moved the pins to match up with the Yacht Device explanation of what there wire is looking for. So Can low of the gateway to Can low of the tech wire which for me was Light Blue. It may not be light blue in your case. If not, you need to find out what wire does what.  

BUT, it looks look the color code is right. Take a meter and check for ground and 12v on red and yellow.

Dozer,

Congrats on your setup! post some pics of the installed unit. I have the Simard NSS9 EVO3 coupled to the Vessel View Link. (Works seamlessly with the Mercury engines-I have the 8.2 mag) It has a myriad of engine data displayed and you can edit the data info bar to your liking. Posting pictures, unless you use photo bucket, is very limited. I will take some pics of the setup and data display and hopefully keep the bytes low enough to upload. I'm very happy with the screen as you can see it from any angle. I'm still learning what the display can do. Dennis

Iggy, you were correct the pinout was totally wrong from the Yacht Devices interface plug. I cross-reference what you gave me on the Smartcraft 6 pin Deutsch plug and lined that up with the Yacht Devices interface and I am getting lots of information from everything using Yacht Devices web application (I am using that as a test display first). A couple of things are not fully functional yet but most are. The fuel gauges for one, I have to look into that. Since I had the NMEA2K network plugged into the Raymarine e80 It also shows some information on there also. 

So the progress is good so far, thanks for the help!