Dash Repair for less than 20 Deer

Not sure if anyone has posted a similar project, but here it goes...

Hurricane Michael not only devastated our area it did some damage to our boat, and one of those was the dash. Granted, it was not in great shape before the storm, but the high winds and rain finished it off.

Removing the dash parts is fairly easy, just take your time removing all the screws and gauges.
I screwed the dash panels to a board while using the heat gun and scraper to remove the old vinyl, then sand it all the way to a very smooth surface - I stopped with a 800 grit paper.
Make sure you use a mild solvent to clean it up, I used isopropyl alcohol before applying the vinyl
Then using a heat gun, squeegee and sharp razor I installed the new vinyl... Ya the grain on the new vinyl doesn't follow the original, but sure looks much better than before.
This is the vinyl I purchased from Amazon for 12.99  -- even if it only lasts a few years, it's worth it. The entire job took me about 4-5 hrs.

Dash01Sml.jpg Dash02Sml.jpg Dash03Sml.jpg Dash04Sml.jpg Dash05Sml.jpg

Dash06Sml.jpg Dash07Sml.jpg   Dash08Sml.jpg

On 3/25/2019 at 7:09 PM, Dozer said:

Awesome job. My dash panels on my 1997 Sunesta 210 are plastic and cracking off in the corners. I will need to fabricate or find some replacements but I love what you did repairing yours. Question for you is what is the control to the right of the ipad looking thing? What is the ipad looking thing? Thanks for posting for the rest of us.

Came out great.  I did same thing a couple of years ago.  I used a satin mahogany that was a great match for the helm wheel.  It has held up for two seasons now.  Boat is in a slip all summer.  This wrap should be good for several years.

11 hours ago, scharpestguy said:

Question for you is what is the control to the right of the ipad looking thing? What is the ipad looking thing? Thanks for posting for the rest of us.

The screen on the center is a Simrad G09 - navigation system. Its a multipurpose display that will do navigation, sonar, fish finder, engine instruments...and if your boat is equipped with radar, it will also display radar, along with cruise control and a few other automated features.

The controller to the right is for my underwater LED lights in the transom, so i can make them any color I want...its nice for when cruising or swimming at night.

The first thing I did when I purchased the boat, was to get a cover made for that purpose..the gauges were already yellowish from the sun, and I didn't want it to get worse. I think that's something every boat owner should do to protect the helm from the sun. 

So hopefully with the cover this dash will last for quite a few years 

1 hour ago, 951Tom said:

Looks really good Dozer.  Do you think that vinyl would work with curved gauge panels?  I'd like to do the same on my 260 but they aren't flat and have contours around the border.

I think so, the vinyl becomes very malleable and sticky when heated with a heat gun (a hair dryer may also work) I would suggest using a clean wash rag and gloves to rub into the curves.
Many people use these for small curved items in vehicles. Just take your time with it.
I was able to wrap it around the edges onto the back of the panels, to prevent peeling on the edges.

Good luck, and if you have the time take a few pics and post them here

Looks great and must be feeling good at this stage doing these smaller and funner projects after all that engine work you did.  Don't mean to be a nitpicker, but is that smaller, last gauge to the far right your trim tabs level indicator?  Did you put it at a slightly tilted angle like that for a reason?  Or was that the only way it would sit in?  I would level it, just like the fuel level gauge unless you like it like that for viewing angle.

Dash06.jpg

Going vertical with the grain is pretty interesting and unique.  You don't see that too often.  You should post a pic of the whole boat.

Nicely done!  I did something similar, but I had to have a new panel cut.  Of course I had three panels made for future "upgrades".  Here's progressive photos of before and after:

C9N9Z4T.jpg

JKGG02n.jpg

J7S0x0H.jpg

y8CsibV.jpg

AQUltBo.jpg

9NjLhoG.jpg

It's not perfect and I have since changed the switch panel and MFD panels to match.  At some point I'l probably re-skin the main panel so that it looks a little better.  One thing to watch out for is the thickness of the vinyl.  I had a problem with the switch panel where the switches were binding with the wrapped around vinyl.

4 hours ago, Hatem said:

Looks great and must be feeling good at this stage doing these smaller and funner projects after all that engine work you did.

I'm now down to polishing and waxing the bottom...I'm sure I will find more projects, but looking forward to this season.

4 hours ago, Hatem said:

Don't mean to be a nitpicker, but is that smaller, last gauge to the far right your trim tabs level indicator?  Did you put it at a slightly tilted angle like that for a reason?  Or was that the only way it would sit in?  I would level it, just like the fuel level gauge unless you like it like that for viewing angle.

Not at all, I looked at it and looks like it's leveled...maybe the way the photo was taken? It's a depth gauge that the original owner installed, uses a through hull transducer. I'll have to take another look at it to make sure it's leveled...  :) 

4 hours ago, Hatem said:

Going vertical with the grain is pretty interesting and unique.  You don't see that too often.  You should post a pic of the whole boat. 

Ya that was not planned, next time I will have to purchase a wider Vinyl.
Here are a few pics of the boat, some are from last year some this year.
WhyNot-01Sml.jpg  First trip last year after we purchased her

WhyNot-02Sml).jpg Mid Season Last year

WhyNot-03Sml.jpg Mid season last year, sister in-law fishing

WhyNot-04Sml.jpg End of season last year, right before Hurricane Michael

WhyNot-05Sml.jpg  This year, first run after work on engines

1 hour ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Nicely done!  I did something similar, but I had to have a new panel cut.  Of course I had three panels made for future "upgrades". 

What material did you use to cut the new panel?

Looks great!

1 hour ago, Dozer said:

Not at all, I looked at it and looks like it's leveled...maybe the way the photo was taken? It's a depth gauge that the original owner installed, uses a through hull transducer. I'll have to take another look at it to make sure it's leveled...  :) 

You're probably right and it's an optical illusion from the angle of the photo combined with the possible curve of the dash?

Interesting that it's a depth gauge with the up and down arrows.  Is it one of those depth settings for your depth alarm?

Great pics of a classic Chaparral.