CCawthorn

Engine / outdrive problems

Hi all, I purchased a ‘99 Sunesta 230 with a 5.7L ... test drive went well but would’t start after I got it home.  Ultimately narrowed it down to starter and had it replaced.   But wouldn’t start again when I got in water.  Had mechanic do complete service (plugs, dist cap, water-fuel seperater, all fluids changed, outboard service, etc), also installed 2 new batteries and had gimble bearing replaced.  Started right up and ran very smooth and strong for about 2 hrs on the lake next day.  

Yesterday I was on the lake again with kids tubing and cruising around for aboout 2 hours.  My son was at helm and we were doing about 30 when he gave some more throttle and we suddenly heard a screaching sound and we seemed to lose some power.  We backed off the throttle to nuetral and the screaching sound went away.  There was a burning smell but it didnt smell like oil to me and there was some smoke but not alot.  The engine temp remained just below 180 the whole time.  My oil pressure gauge works intermittenly at the moment but when it was working it seemed normal.  I turned off the engine and let it sit for about 5 min.  Assuming what I heard wasn‘t good, I started the engine and began nursing it back shore ... We were probably about 500 yards from the dock.  I didnt hear the screaching noise at first for about 5 min as we krept along, but then the screaching sound gradually came back and we stoppped moving and started smoking and had burning smell again.  I turned the engine off.  Temp was still 180.  I waited another 5 min then  I started up one more time but temp started started to go over 180 and alarm went of so I shut off engine again.  Had a friend with a jet ski tow us in.

Any feedback or similar exeriences?

Welcome but it does not sound good.   If the oil gauge is intermitted find out why and quick, add a manual gauge if you can get to the sender or to double check also 180 is kind of hot when was the last time the water pump was replaced?  Also is it a Merc or Volo Penta. 

1 hour ago, CCawthorn said:

I didnt hear the screaching noise at first for about 5 min as we krept along, but then the screaching sound gradually came back and we stoppped moving and started smoking and had burning smell again.

Where was it smoking from?  Could you tell where the smoke was originating from, or was it kinda all over the engine or maybe mostly near the water pump?   When was the last time the impeller was changed?

Burning, squeaking  belt from circulating water pump bearings freezing up? Was oil pump not working and you thought it may have been a bad gage?

Remove the belt and start spinning pulleys by hand. You will know when u find the culprit. Smoke and smell most likely the belt.

Thanks all, its a 5.7 mercruiser ... I don’t know about water pump if it was changed in past.  When I did start engine it did seem to idle ok, the main problem was when in gear.  with compartment cover open the belt in front of engine seemed to be fine but i dont know if water pump is part of that belt cycle.  The smoke was kind of gray and the sense i got was it was coming from behind the engine,, but it was windy and hard to pinpoint.

i planned to get gauge fixed as soon as mech was available again.  After the initial service he thought i’d be ok for a little while till he could get back to it.  Part of the service he did included looking over the impeller ... he said it looked fine.

i’m on standby till his schedule frees up to come back and troubleshoot, its busy season in central FL so hard to get a good mech on short notice.

I like to educate myself as much as I can so I don’t get taken advantage of and kinda know what to expect ... my mech seems like a hood guy and experienced, but I’m still getting to know him