w102acd

220 SSI Bravo 3 Props

Hello all! I have a 2007 220 SSI.  It has a 5.0 MPI with a Bravo 3 outdrive.  Love the boat, but would like a quicker hole shot, quicker time to plane, and slower plane speed.  It currently has the factory 26 pitch 3X3 props on it.  Unfortunately, I am not sure of the outdrive gear ratio.  Looking to do more water sports this year (ie tubing, skiing, knee/wakeboarding).  Don’t mind much about lower top end as we typically buzz around at 30 mph or so.  Right now, I don’t think I can get wide open throttle (5000 rpms) with the current props anyway (too much bite for the engine).

I was looking at the Hill Marine 4X4 prop set.  Would like some input on whether this is a good idea and if so, what pitch 4X4 folks would recommend.  I’ve read a lot of great reviews on the Hill 4X4s, but all of them are on bigger boats with bigger engines.

Thanks!!!

Hill Marine is a top notch group. Give them a call and they will get you squared away..... 

1 minute ago, Phillbo said:

Hill Marine is a top notch group. Give them a call and they will get you squared away..... 

What he said.

As a point of reference, I have a 220 SSi, 5.7 L, B3 w/ 24s 3x3.  Good all-around performance.  Let us know what they say; there are a few 220 members here.

Thanks for the reference!  Interesting that you have a bigger engine and lower pitch props.

I’ll give them a call, but am thinking the 4X4 22 pitch maybe even 20.

Always ask about any prop . What is the slippage percentage ?..……. That is what percentage of your power is wasted by bad prop design. If they do not know ?  It is excessive.

Go to www.mercuryracing.com  click on the propeller box.  Then open the slip calculator.  It is a use full guide.  Also read what conditions case slip.  The effects of pitch angle

Ken at the " Prop Gods "  was very good on picking props.

9 hours ago, w102acd said:

Thanks for the reference!  Interesting that you have a bigger engine and lower pitch props.

I’ll give them a call, but am thinking the 4X4 22 pitch maybe even 20.

My boat was originally spec'd to come with 26s.  I had them swapped for 24s for better hole shot.  For my boat, 26s = best top end, 24s = good all around, 22s = best hole shot.

Keep us posted.

You are going to need your drive ratio for anyone to give you the proper choice. Either 2.0 or more likely 2.2. Number will be on the sticker on the drive or on the serial number sticker on the motor that should have been installed when new. My suggestion would be 24's

With the 5.0, you will likely have the 2.2 drive ratio. It is stamped on the sticker at the top of the outdrive, along with the serial number. 24’s with a 2.2 would be a good choice for your boat. 22’s if you have a 2.0 ratio. 

brick

Thanks for input.  Unfortunately the boat is out of state waiting to be woken up for the season.  I’ll have to wait and take a look.

Not sure if these recommendations are 3X3, 4X4, or 4X3 prop sets?

i also should have mentioned earlier that I currently have to constantly trim all the way to get the boat to handle and plane the way I want it to.  I tried some of the gas spring trim tabs (Bennett or Lenco).  They helped, but not as much as I was hoping.  Not sure the props alone will get me where I want.  Should I or do others have electric or hydraulic trim tabs on their 220?

I have a perfect hole shot prop .  It is impossible to blow out. It will take about 4 mph off of the best top speed prop. BUT   When you hear HIT IT.   A WOT take off WILL face slam or the will have the handle yanked out of their hands.  I have done it to some of the best ski people.

Brain fog I can not recall  the company...……. Power Tech   PTC4.  It has curved hooks on the blade edges to prevent losing solid water. Straight or sharp turns. 4 blades S S. I will surf to see it it is still available.

Almost forgot.  The bite is so good that almost any prop trim setting is fine.  There is 0 bow angle lift up. It accelerates at a flat position instantly & constantly.  I tried the 23" pitch on my 2002 5.0 carb. & it almost stalled the engine on WOT take off. I did the shipping only charges swap  I got the WOT rpms up to 4400. Not sure it it was a 18 or a 20 pitch .  I could have gone down 2 more inches to reach 4800 rpm Rev Limiter when alone.  I tested the props reduction to preventing a prop blowout doing a maximum sharp turn. Luckily I did the left turn. I was slammed into the side windshield.  A right turn ? I would have been tossed out of the seat .

I called Power Tech to confirm if the same prop style is still available. Salesman is new.  But will see if it is. 

Got the call . Spoke to the Tech Rep. Still made the same way with the very aggressive hooks on the blades.  Exchange program has changed.

Really losing it Dual props .    Never mind.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:08 AM, w102acd said:

Thanks for input.  Unfortunately the boat is out of state waiting to be woken up for the season.  I’ll have to wait and take a look.

Not sure if these recommendations are 3X3, 4X4, or 4X3 prop sets?

Your "Bill of Sale" should have the serial number of the engine. Call your local shop they should be able to contact Merc/VP to get the original setup for your boat. Motor HP, Outdrive Gear Ratio and Prop Pitch.

Not sure what you mean regarding trim settings. The 220 with B3 drive likes very little positive trim. Maybe 1/4 up, at the most. Any boat can be improved with the addition of trim tabs, but not required to make a 220 run well. 

brick

I (finally) got the chance to call Hill Marine.  Spoke with Joe who was very helpful.  He recommended 4X4 24s regardless of the outdrive gear ratio (2.0 or 2.2).  Honestly, I am concerned they will not be enough, but they know what they are doing and I only pretend to :).

He said I should expect my WOT throttle RPM to go up 400-500 with the 24s.  So my WOT throttle will go from ~4000 to ~4500.  I talked with him about going down and he was concerned that I wouldn't be happy with the reduced max speed.

If I did my calcs right (and assume 10% slippage for all props/rpms and 2.2 outdrive ratio), I can maintain ~40 mph for 26, 24, and 22s. (because the max RPMs are 4000, 4500, and 5000, respectively).  Since I rarely find the need to go over 30-35 mph, I am still thinking I want the 22s.  10% slippage with a 2.2 outdrive ratio gets me 30 mph at 3000 rpms which is about right for my boat.

Thoughts?

And...my comments about trimming were that I typically trim all the way down just to get the boat on plane as quickly as possible.  Even when I get up on plane and cruising, I only give a little bit trim up, but maybe 1/4 like brick mentioned.

My calcs if anyone is interested...

Notice I increased the slippage to 18% for the 2.0 drive since that brings me back to the 30 mph at 3000 rpms.

Boat Calcs.jpg

I would be surprised if your gear ratio is not 2.2.  That being the case, I would go with 24’s for your boat. I run 24’s on my 220 SSi, but with a 2.0 ratio (350MAG/MPI).

i would only go with 22’s if you had a 2.0 ratio.

Looks like I'm out numbered by folks who know what they are talking about.  Thanks for the input!  I'll get them ordered and report back when I have a chance to run them (in May).

My 2005 220SSi came with 26’s, and  2.0 drive ratio. It would only pull 4400 RPM @WOT. I tried 24’s and 22’s, and settled on the 24’s as the best all-around choice. In 2006, Chaparral changed to a 2.2 ratio for the 350/MAG, but stayed with 26’s. I suspect they finally realized it was overpropped. 

To my knowledge all 5 liter boats came standard (non high elevation) with a 2.2 drive ratio. It will run almost as fast as a 350MAG, except it suffers from lack of torque with a heavy load. Dropping pitch will help you compensate.

I expect you will be very happy with the Hill Marine props. I have heard great things about them. If I was replacing props today, that is what I would go with. 

brick

I have a '03 243 Sunesta with a 5.0, B3 setup.   My stock props are 24 Pitch, and the ratio is 2.2.  When I called Hill Marine they recommend 22 Pitch on their 4x4 props.  

I think if I ever upgrade, that will be the way I go.

17 minutes ago, delaswim said:

I have a '03 243 Sunesta with a 5.0, B3 setup.   My stock props are 24 Pitch, and the ratio is 2.2.  When I called Hill Marine they recommend 22 Pitch on their 4x4 props.  

I think if I ever upgrade, that will be the way I go.

A Sunesta 243 is bigger and heavier than a 220 SSi, so the 22’s make sense. 

When I tried the 22’s on my boat the hole-shot was great, but it felt like it was in first gear - revs were too high at any given speed.

If the OP goes with 24’s, he will have 10% less prop pitch than my boat, due to the drive ratio difference. And the 5.0 has 10 % less HP and torque, so so think it will be a good match. 

brick

Thanks again for all of the great input.  Plus 10% on gear ratio and minus 10% on torque.

The 2003 243 Sunesta weighs 4350 lbs.  The 2007 220 SSI weighs 3650 lbs.  700 lb difference.

Let us know what you decide to do, and how it works out. 

brick