Sign in to follow this  
Rhino

New 23ft H2O User Manuals & Recomendations for new Break-in

We just picked up our 2019 23ft H20 last week.  When I go to the user manual section of the Chaparral site, I only see details for the 21ft boats.  Any idea when Chaparral will publish the new links?  Our boat also had the Garmin GPSmaps 742xs, I do not see any user manual for it any suggestions on where to find one that is not just the stand alone unit.

Our boat has a Mercury 6.2L 2.20 Bavo 3 300HP Catalyst engine, as I would like to go through the appropriate steps to break it in correctly does anyone have any recommendations?  I see the main thing in the manual is to not let it sit at low RPM for long periods of time.

For your GPS, go to the Garmin web site and the Merc site for your engine. Since the boat is new, what did the dealer tell you?  

The dealer told me to follow the manual.  But to keep from trolling at idle speed for long periods of time for the first 10 hours.

I’m not a Mercury guy, but there are a few such as Wingnut, Shepherd, Bt Doctur for example that probably have specifics.

There’s probably more to it, at least there is for Volvo Penta’s. No max RPMs, vary the throttle, etc.

The manual probably details this information. The Dealer should be more descriptive as well, after all you just shelled out big bucks.

Something I’ve done since the ‘70s that’s not in any manual, change the oil and filter at 10 hours. Tolerances and processes are much tighter and more repeatable today, but there’s always the possibility of residue from manufacturing and wear-in that I like to get out. Still do the same on vehicles, right at 1,000 miles.

As a side note about tolerances in modern auto & boat engines.  The metallurgy is excellent. The accuracy of machining tolerances is unreally accurate.

So for the last 40 years I have followed no break in procedures. All engines have run with no problems or smoked or any other effects...………………….

Breakings  In my opinion are now old mans tales of a long bygone era.   Thankfully.

I am not a speed WOT freak.  If you are ?  find what works best for you...………… By the way.  Many millions of people DO NOT follow any baby the new machine procedures. The just use them normally with no problems.

The only thing I DO DO.  Is the first quick oil change.   Done.

As a topic for discussion about oil changes.  When the engines went to a fully sealed & filtered system of all air inside the engine.  I switched to 10,000 mile changes. Since I keep all cars to well over 120,000 miles.  I was always on the leading edge of the change oil curve. Now oil is so demystified that it never needs to be changed until 1 time a year ???? What super duper chemicals where found to stop the 3.500 mile changes ?            :thththsoapbox2-1:

Fear always sells better than any facts. Allows buying bigger Chaparrals faster.   :clapsmiley:

6 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

As a topic for discussion about oil changes.  When the engines went to a fully sealed & filtered system of all air inside the engine.  I switched to 10,000 mile changes. Since I keep all cars to well over 120,000 miles.  I was always on the leading edge of the change oil curve. Now oil is so demystified that it never needs to be changed until 1 time a year ???? What super duper chemicals where found to stop the 3.500 mile changes ?      

The extended interval of 1 year, 15,000 miles + depending on how a person drives, is synthetics. It’s shocking how much better these oils look at “high” mileage compared to minerals at 3,000.

We do agree, which is a rarity, on that first quick oil change.

4 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

There is always hope.   :)

I still struggle without having a dipstick though. While I understand why many automakers have eliminated, I guess I’m more comfortable seeing the color and rubbing it between my fingers.

WHATT ?

Please tell all of us  who Is telling us what companies need destructive damage to keep dealers profit margin way up there. Hard to believe they would do such a thing.

Relief. 2018 Accord 4 cylinder has a engine & transmission dipstick.   BUUTT    I have the dreaded bits of acorn shells on top of the pad around the battery.  NOT good. I had 1 critter start on the hoses & wiring.   Time for a big rat trap to prevent chewing damage.

As Rosanna Danna would say.  " It is always something. "