Sign in to follow this  
cyclops2

The ANT SCOUTS are out in N J already.

Alas I found the main gate  for them under the dishwasher. They are scouts of various sizes. Was not sure the Home Depot Hot Trax was doing them in.  So I mixed up Boraxo & sugar  in a very wet solution in a 6 " saucer as a watering stop for them. I little thirsty dude is sleeping head first in the solution.

Oh well

No pets or kids.  Will see if more of  the scouts passing by stop for a drink.

11 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I little thirsty dude is sleeping head first in the solution.

LOL!  The way you put that is hilarious.  What would we do on this board without you, Clops? :D

The bunnies are out in our yard already.  While they're all over the place and quite brazen in the summer time, we usually see them occasionally in the winter but this year I don't remember seeing any of them at all, until a few days ago.  Got out of my truck and there he was on the grass between the driveway and the house and the guy didn't even move as I walked right by him maybe 4ft away.  My wife loves them and they really don't do much damage to our yard, luckily. 

The only problem is this fella...

SQsy7L8.jpg

Ollie the rabbit smasher! loool.  Brings the easy ones, babies, thinking he's going to get some kind of reward or something.  Sometimes he keeps them alive enough so I can save them and return them, but most of the time they're done. 

g1Bhb5B.jpg

I mixed up the last supper with too much Borax

No repeat customers for the evening meal.

It took about 5 days to have no new ants. They really like a solution of Borax & equal part of sugar. Added water to make a well dissolved syrup.

The wife and I held a memorial service for all the little guys.  Coffee & Onion rolls.

I had/have an ant nest far in the back yard. Its getting so big the surface is collapsing on top of it. I put a driveway marker on the nest so when I'm cutting the lawn, I don't fall into it. I don't normally toy with nature unless its effecting the garage or house.

Many years ago, I went to the cupboard to get some cookies. I open the metal can and there are thousands of ants in the can eating my cookies! I trace the ant trail through the wall, down the siding, across the steal beam [mobile home at the time] and then down into and below the bushes out front. I started to dig it up, billions of ants and larva. Bought something from HD and churned it into the nest. 

Don't mess with my cookies!

I have a massive area of bark covered ground around the house.  WITH BLACK  PLASTIC sheets under the bark.  DDUUUUHHHH   I know the little critters are very happy under it.

But It does prevent a constant weed problem. Or the spraying of any chemicals in a well water area.  I share like you when I can. At the house since 1970.

The surface moles are too damaging to the lawn & walk way paver blocks.

7 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I have a massive area of bark covered ground around the house.  WITH BLACK  PLASTIC sheets under the bark.  DDUUUUHHHH   I know the little critters are very happy under it.

But It does prevent a constant weed problem. Or the spraying of any chemicals in a well water area.  I share like you when I can. At the house since 1970.

The surface moles are too damaging to the lawn & walk way paver blocks.

Hey Cy heads up, Friendlys on upper front street in Binghamton has closed. There is the Spot diner about 2 blocks south on the same side. That's a good place to stop on the way up.

I feel so bad for the Friendly's staff. They were the best. Any food request was never a problem . If possible.  Thank you for the rating on the Spot Diner.   :)

Only 3 more weeks until opening day.        How old am I really ?

Ancient !    When eating is more important than anything else.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:31 AM, cyclops2 said:

I mixed up the last supper with too much Borax

No repeat customers for the evening meal.

It took about 5 days to have no new ants. They really like a solution of Borax & equal part of sugar. Added water to make a well dissolved syrup.

Maybe try using cotton instead of sugar. Ants just know there's tasty sugar and they'll definitely come for more. Moreover, sugar can attract some other species of bugs. I would suggest checking this article so you could identify the ants you're struggling with and only then you should make a new plan to deal with them. When there are no kids and pets around you may try using duster traps or switch back to boric acid again. 

I went with a pro ant & termite company. Found the little white termites under the bark chips.   Oh well.  

Dead Carpenter  queens  on the Basement floor.   :mandancing:    :clapsmiley: