yogi799

Lake Powell advice

guys, getting ready to plan a trip over there (35 hrs away for me driving) and really wanted to rent a small boat to enjoy a few hrs at the lake. i've already done some searching and found a few marinas and rates etc. Looks like i could rent a small bowrider or a pontoon boat for about 70 USD an hr. Daily rates are too much (don't want to spend 600).

i need general advice that is usually not easily found.

Water temperature. I see that May and June are decent, June being much warmer (water). other moths are out of question for me. So most likely i am going 2 week of June.

WHICH MARINA to use? Any of them? I've found some hourly rates on Antelope point. Is that a good place to start from? I basically want to get to the narrow tall canyons (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Antelope+Point+Marina/@36.9657512,-111.4293755,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMYPyY-9iKxjitMtNIrx6aico8P-FDqf_YSK_WY!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMYPyY-9iKxjitMtNIrx6aico8P-FDqf_YSK_WY%3Dw203-h152-k-no!7i4032!8i3024!4m5!3m4!1s0x87341506bfe9f49f:0x6afe5a7f21bc9b81!8m2!3d36.9619793!4d-111.4322937) and pretty spots where we can beach the boat for 2 hrs and swim some etc.

ANYTHING else to watch out for? Stuff that is usually fine print and a can be a nasty surprise? 

I'd rent a seadoo but they are usually 2 -seaters and there might be 3 of us.

Do you have the ability to tow a rental boat?? 

Try Big Water (that's where I store my boat) for better rates than the marinas - http://www.lake-powell-boats.com/rentals.html

If you do not have the ability to tow a rental Big Water will launch it and have it in a slip for a fee as well. 

You really can not see the lake in just a couple hours so a day rental would be best. It takes at least an hour + to get up to the real beauty of lake powell. 

we go all the time. wahweap is the best. be ready for big water 5-6 foot rollers!. the rental boats work fine. get a map and know how to navigate. warm creek bay is were most go to ski and play. 

if you are brave go  50 miles up river to rainbow bridge gas up  at dangling rope marina. about 2 pm everyday expect big wind near wahweap, seems to always happen. it dies down but it is furious. 

ok thx guys. no, i will have just my sedan over there. 

thanks for the suggestions.

so it sounds like you are saying a 4hr rental may not cut it???

How far up lake do you want to go? If you want to go up and see Rainbow bridge a 4 hr rental will not cut it since you will burn at least an hour on the hike. Also, why beach the boat and swim for 2 hours while paying for a rental? If you want to swim from a beach you can drive to Lone Rock beach (careful of the sand) and swim all day for free. 

If you just want to cruise up to Padre Bay and back you may be good to go with a half day. 

The cut MAY not be open by June so although Wahweap  is more convenient, staging out of Antelope may be best in order to shave some time off the run up lake. 

If exploring canyons is all you want to do I'd suggest Mountain Sheep, Cathedral and Twilight at a minimum. You'll probably need to hit Dangling Rope Marina to top off on fuel depending on the boat you rent (don't forget the soft serve ice cream)...

OR, maybe skip renting a boat and take the full day cruise to Rainbow bridge. They take you in to a few canyons on the way up lake and give you some history of the lake as well... That would be my recommendation. 

Fantastic info thanks Phil. I will go over all of that very carefully.... That is exactly what I was looking for BTW, raw info from someone who knows the place inside and out. Thanks!

PS. I have no idea how far i want to go, therefore i've reached out for help. I just want to get to the pretty places like in the link in my OP and swim a bit (and not go broke from a rental). Will load a map and study the info you've provided now.

We were there a few years back, my only regret is that we didn't do a little hiking. Boating Lake Powell is amazing, but renting a 20'er wouldn't be my first choice. Philbo's suggesting of the tour boat seems to be the better option if you want to see the canyons around the lake. Take time to plan a few hiking  trips.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:38 AM, Phillbo said:

How far up lake do you want to go? If you want to go up and see Rainbow bridge a 4 hr rental will not cut it since you will burn at least an hour on the hike. Also, why beach the boat and swim for 2 hours while paying for a rental? If you want to swim from a beach you can drive to Lone Rock beach (careful of the sand) and swim all day for free. 

If you just want to cruise up to Padre Bay and back you may be good to go with a half day. 

The cut MAY not be open by June so although Wahweap  is more convenient, staging out of Antelope may be best in order to shave some time off the run up lake. 

If exploring canyons is all you want to do I'd suggest Mountain Sheep, Cathedral and Twilight at a minimum. You'll probably need to hit Dangling Rope Marina to top off on fuel depending on the boat you rent (don't forget the soft serve ice cream)...

OR, maybe skip renting a boat and take the full day cruise to Rainbow bridge. They take you in to a few canyons on the way up lake and give you some history of the lake as well... That would be my recommendation. 

Hi Phil, so I have contacted these guys for a day rental (http://www.lake-powell-boats.com/rentals.html), their rates seem excellent but ... then i read they require TWO days rental (what??). I am only gonna be there one day, and so do many tourists i suppose. I emailed them to see if they can do one day for a bit extra and drop the boat in the lake for me (I will only have my sedan over there).

BUT in the meantime... can you tell me if there is any way to get to Padre Bay without a boat if for whatever reason i cannot get one?

I really want to spend some time over there, looks fantastic... swim and just relax a bit. I looked at the lone rock beach and the views/scenery is nowhere close to teh Padre bay area. I am afraid the answer is no? 

I also didn't want to do a tour as they won't anchor the boat for us for an hour to swim and relax....

I believe there is a four wheel drive road that will get you to an overlook near Padre Bay but not down to the water. A boat is pretty much the only way to get there.

On 4/7/2019 at 2:00 PM, Phillbo said:

Do you have the ability to tow a rental boat?? 

Try Big Water (that's where I store my boat) for better rates than the marinas - http://www.lake-powell-boats.com/rentals.html

If you do not have the ability to tow a rental Big Water will launch it and have it in a slip for a fee as well. 

You really can not see the lake in just a couple hours so a day rental would be best. It takes at least an hour + to get up to the real beauty of lake powell. 

Phil, I have an offer.... u ready?

Take me and my 3 kids out to padre bay for 1-2 hrs and I will pay you the rental money plus gas! 3-4 hrs total. June 14. Can you?

i';ve had no luck so far with rental places and i fear i will miss out. i am there only one day and want to do it so bad. kids are 12-17, not brats or anything.

If you would consider but 14th doesn't work, i could potentially reschedule things and do 13th instead.

Ahh Man... I was actually thinking about offering to take you up lake for a tour of the beauty (gas on me, ice cream on you) but the timing just does not work due to other commitments (new job) . I'm really sorry I cant make it work. I would have loved to show you the real nice parts of the lake for the day. 

Saw the PM. I wish I could help you out (I love showing people the lake) but I will not be available due to travel required for my new job. 

Hey Phil!

I am looking to plan an trip up to Powell myself, around September I am thinking. Renting a houseboat and towing my chap. Since you are a local up there, could you PM me some good spots to check out? 

Thanks!!

Lets exchange info on here so all can learn and have input.

Sept is the BEST month to be on the lake. Days are cooling off and the wake boats have gone away (like knats at sunset during the summer) . How far up lake do you want to take the house boat. My go to is Powell Bay just inside Last Chance. It's a comfortable cruise in the house boat and far enough up lake to do day trips to the real cool stuff each day in the towed boat. Friendship Cove is also nice and only a few miles more up lake. 

Nice thing about going after the summer season is you have a lot of choices of places to beach the houseboat. 

Powell Bay - 37.117490, -111.290630

Friendship - 37.101336, -111.205658

Are you also looking for day trip places to explore? 

Hey Phil, I have found a decent place using trip advisor.

Wow. full day for 300. Not bad at all considering lake powell marina wanted 100 per hour!!!! 

i just need a tow vehicle but they supposedly have some. if not, i will try a uhaul truck for a day. shouldn't be a problem i hope.

place is called B & T Marine. 

Not kidding about the rates. Other places wanted exactly twice that ...550-600. I found another one for 340 so definitely gotta shop around, it took me hours to find it. 

Hope weather cooperates!!!

they want 100 for a rental tow vehicle which is standard so i booked a uhaul pickup truck in page for about $40 after milage. hope it all works out. planning to be on the water around 11am... 

is that too late?? in Ontario, i rarely get out before 11am.

Planning to launch in Antelope Point Launch Ramp. Hope they don't rape me with launch fees. I've read somewhere it is 35 USD to enter the area or something like that? so maybe launch is included? Then I want to go straight for the Padre island and the area and have 2-3 hrs there. that is the plan.

Any other pointers and must-know's , pls share! Also, hoping for a nice sunny day!!

In my opinion if you want to see the lake you need a full day and 11:00am is way too late to head up lake. Pack a lunch and leave as early as possible to avoid the rush and the rough water (the section of lake just up stream from Antelope Point Marine (APM) is know as the maytage straights since it turns into a washing machine once the tour boats head up). Once you get on the lake you will wish you had more time to explore. Padre Bay is only the beginning of the beauty the lake has to offer. Go farther up if you can. 

Leave early and run up to Rainbow Bridge and hit Dangling Rope Marina on the way back. Get a good map for the south end of the lake :

https://www.amazon.com/Fish-N-Map-Lake-Powell-South/dp/B00144A6FA/ref=pd_sbs_14_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00144A6FA&pd_rd_r=5c127cc2-7674-11e9-8112-855e7dc666ae&pd_rd_w=WD3Is&pd_rd_wg=TLaLJ&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=KE91J5M1E2MDDGHDTA43&psc=1&refRID=KE91J5M1E2MDDGHDTA43

Launch Fees are included in the cost of entering the park BUT the public ramp at APM is closed due to low water level so you will need to use the valet service ($15.00 for launch and retrieval - call (928) 645-5900) OR launch out of Wahweap for no additional fee. If you launch out of Wahweap ask someone if "The Cut" is open. If so, it will save you a lot of time getting up lake (The Cut is a man made channel across from Wahweap Marina but at this time I'm not sure if it's open due to the water level). 

Park fees- Are you planning to visit any other national parks on your trip? Grand Canyon ,Bryce, Canyon Lands etc??? If so, consider getting an America the Beautiful park pass for $80.00. It covers you (4 people total) for all National Parks. 

https://shop.usparkpass.com/products/america-the-beautiful-national-park-pass?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzunmBRDsARIsAGrt4mtw_MJytxgQ5Nk0_vMhu5cryhljiSDUJmsaRMRdHohTHe-piUMOwyEaAqP5EALw_wcB

June = SUNNY and warm. Sunscreen is a must. 

Cell service - you will only get it in the main channel when you can see Navajo mountain. 

Anything else? 

Oh wow, thanks Phil, dang, so the Antelope Launch is closed, darn it!!!

I can see the cut on the map, great idea thank you! Wahweap is a lot further so yes, I will ask about the cut before but i'd rather save time than $15!

How does the 15 dollar valet work?? Still using that launch or something else?

As to parks, we are thinking just Zion .. i think it said 25 per family plus 15 per car so that is 40...

I mean we will also do Grand Canyon and i think that is also 35.. 

No other parks so hmm.. comes out to the same cost more or less. Still thanks for the idea. We will not have time for any other parks unfortunately.

The valet uses a private ramp owned by Antelope Point Marina. You pull into the service/storage area at the top and pay your $15.00. They will drive your truck down to the ramp and launch you. When you return you hail them on channel 16 (confirm the channel with them) or call them and they come down with your truck and trailer to retrieve you. $15.00 is for both the launch and the retrieval.

Immense help, thanks Phil. OK, i will shoot for the Wahweap then IF the CUT is open, sounds like a bit of a PITA to use that valet thingy. If you hear about it, can you let me know (the cut being open).

The Valet Service is just the opposite of a PITA, it's actually quite simple. I really doubt the cut will be open when you come but you can call the marina the day before and they will let you know. The lake is coming up fast but not sure if fast enough to get the 5  feet of water in the cut to open it. Most likely if the cut is open the APM public ramp would be open as well...  

It's all about the snow melt in the Rockies this time of year.