yogi799

Lake Powell advice

I said PITA because i suppose i'd need to give the keys to the uhaul to someone and then call them (and wait?) when we are back. My cell phone may not work since it will be roaming... not sure how the radio works (never used on in my life and where would i find it anyway?).

It does not take long for them to bring your trailer down to retrieve you. If your cell phone does not work, pull in to an open slip and walk over to the marina store and ask them to call the valet for you. Or ask anyone on the dock (or pull up behind a houseboat) to make the call for you. We are a very helpful group at powell....

I recommend The Dam Bar if you need a place to eat in Page.

OK, many thanks Phil, sure, if the cut is closed like you say it might be, I will do that. Maybe i will inquire on the forum you gave me the URL to right before i leave for the trip. someone will surely know...

Love the name the Dam Bar LOL. I get all the meanings of this cool name! LOL

We have a place here in town called Dam Income Tax. LOL. But we do not even have a Dam in the area! So that is nowhere as funny LOL

You can also call APM to see if the public ramp is open. Or Executive Services at Wahweap to see if the cut is ((928) 645-1027). 

I don't typically monitor the water level since I don't boat in the summer months. Too many tourist :)

I'll try to remember to call my buddy at the marina in a couple weeks to see what the prediction is. 

yogi, what is the date that you will be on the lake? 

I talked to my contact at Exec Services and she said the cut may open just after Memorial day. Lake is rising about 4 inches a day. 

Stateline Ramp has reopened and is my preferred ramp to use. wider, less traffic and no house boats being launched or loaded. Less of a walk to get to the truck at the end of the day as well. 

IF the cut is open I would recommend launching at stateline and using the cut to get up lake. Less time in the washing machine :)

Hey Phil, sorry, the forum was down all day when i wanted to reply. Now it is back up.

Plan is for June 14, so that sounds OK maybe... perhaps it will be open by then!

OK Stateline launch sounds great. Yeah, I love less traffic and shorter walking distance. I used to live in KS and they had a massive launch to one of their crappy lakes - it was I kid you not, a width of about 15-20 vehicles, meaning that many could launch at the same time - just a crapload of concrete, so nice.... Here in Ontario, boating is even more popular and folks have expensive yachts (but season is shorter) and the widest launch I've seen is 3 cars wide.

The cut sounds great. Keeping my fingers crossed. Update me when you hear something. Boy i feel like i live there and know everything about the place with your help!!! So awesome! If you ever come to Ontario I will pay you back and tell you everything you need to know about Georgian Bay! 

Glad to help. 

I have friends at the Marina so I'll touch base with them and ask them to let me know when the cut is usable (need 6' of water to make it safe). You should be in luck though. 

State Line Ramp is about 8 lanes wide so plenty of room. You can see it in the web cams if you scroll the the bottom one: http://webcams.water-data.com/powell/

Can't remember if I mentioned it but be aware of the tour boat wakes. Big white fast moving boats full of tourist. The wakes can be huge. You need to slow down and take them at a 45* angle... 

Yes, you did :-) You called it a washing machine, and i had a good laugh LOL

Wow , 8 lanes, sweeeet! I will def. see the webcam, it is freaking 2am now so all dark LOL

Getting excited! I will have my hitch with a 2in ball to put on the uhaul pickup and an adapter 5 pin to the round one that I used on my trailer when hooking up to chevy suburban. Hopefully this setup will work or the rental place will have some adapters on hand if something else... Otherwise, are there any good stores in Page that might have these adapters? Except Uhaul store itself i guess.

There is a Walmart in Page that should carry what you need. Old West Marine is my go to boat shop when I need stuff. 

The washing machine is a reference the channel between APM and Padre Bay. The side walls are vertical on both sides so the boat wakes can not dissipate and they just bounce off the walls so the channel can get very rough. We call it the Maytag Straights. 

By launching at Stateline and transiting the Cut you will cut your time in the washing machine in half or more. 

Through the cut, a big swinging right had curve through Warm Creek and then the channel that will take you to Padre is the first on on your left (called the narrows). If you pass the channel you will end up at APM.  

Hey yogi, check these guys out (new company in Page) . Looks like they are offering a discount if you book in May. They have a small chap that looks reasonable...

Renegadeboatrentals.com

Thanks for looking out for me Phil! I really appreciate it. 

The place I rented from was $300 for the day, I thought that was very reasonable. I think this link was $450. So looks like i've found an OK deal.

Now, just to launch it successfully (and get a sunny day!) and we're in business!!! Hope it all works out!

Oh, wait, yeah. 25% off so you're right... that's pretty close to my price, dang!!! I'll ask them if they supply a tow vehicle, if they do, I may switch indeed!!

Good deal... June is almost a promise of a sunny day. We've had a slow heat up and lots of weather this spring but it has to change soon. The lake is filling much slower than normal due to the cold weather in Colorado. Once it warms up the lake will come up fast and open the cut for you. 

3 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Good deal... June is almost a promise of a sunny day. We've had a slow heat up and lots of weather this spring but it has to change soon. The lake is filling much slower than normal due to the cold weather in Colorado. Once it warms up the lake will come up fast and open the cut for you. 

just saw the 25% off deal Phil. Sorry I am blind!! Read too quickly initially!

With the 25% off... that's pretty close to my price, dang!!! I'll ask them if they supply a tow vehicle, if they do, I may switch indeed!!

Looks like they offer a concierge service which probably means they will launch it and put it in a transient slip for you... going to have a cost though. Should not be more than $100.00.

From the website around the concierge service :

"We are happy to launch and retrieve your rental boat. We charge a valet fee of $100 for this service. We will deliver your rental boat to either Stateline Launch Ramp or Antelope Point Launch Ramp. We will schedule you a time to show up for valet that morning and also for pick up that evening."

Takes the Uhaul out of the equation  :)

Not trying to plan your trip but just trying to help and am bored as #$^% sitting in the Atlanta airport on a 3 hour delay  grabbing some food and a beer or two... :)

Fuel- only buy what you need at the marinas, it's EXPENSIVE (probably 4.50 a gallon) . Most likely they have a provision to top the tank off once they pick the boat up at the end of the day and just charge your card on file or deduct it from the security deposit. 

Good news yogi...A buddy sent me a text and told me the Cut is wet. Not deep enough to use yet but it should be by the time you get there. Launch at Stateline and use the cut for a much better experience. 

Yippppeeeee!!!!!!

Thanks a tonne for these updates Phil!!!

Can't wait! I presume it's sunny there most of the time?? (unlike here? 50-50)

June is a good time for you. It may be a bit warm but you don't have to worry about the monsoons kicking up in the afternoon. They typically fire up mid July. Also the wind typically lay down around then. 

Hats, Sunscreen and a long sleeve white shirt is best for keeping your fair skin from becoming a rock lobster  in the southwestern sun:)