Sign in to follow this  
SST

Weight limits

While "researching" Rt 219 in Pennsylvania via Street View, I came across a bypass at Ridgeway, Pa. Weight limit 7000lbs.   Its an old image so it may not even be there anymore. First question is, is that 7000lbs combined weight of truck and trailer? Second question is,  does that weight limit mean commercial only or everybody.  My boat/trailer combi is 6000lbs. Add the truck and I'm about 11,000lbs.  Am I required to take the bypass?

Image result for weight limit posted signs

I tried to screen capture the street view signage but this site wouldn't allow it. Basically, the only difference between this picture and the street view picture is that the street view only says, "No Trucks over 7000 LBS."

I just noticed further up the street where the split actually occurs. There is another sign there that says, TRUCKS over 7000lbs...Gross Weight.  I assume that means combined.

3 hours ago, SST said:

While "researching" Rt 219 in Pennsylvania via Street View, I came across a bypass at Ridgeway, Pa. Weight limit 7000lbs.   Its an old image so it may not even be there anymore. First question is, is that 7000lbs combined weight of truck and trailer? Second question is,  does that weight limit mean commercial only or everybody.  My boat/trailer combi is 6000lbs. Add the truck and I'm about 11,000lbs.  Am I required to take the bypass?

Image result for weight limit posted signs

I tried to screen capture the street view signage but this site wouldn't allow it. Basically, the only difference between this picture and the street view picture is that the street view only says, "No Trucks over 7000 LBS."

I just noticed further up the street where the split actually occurs. There is another sign there that says, TRUCKS over 7000lbs...Gross Weight.  I assume that means combined.

I would call the the D.P.W. or the Highway Dept.

16 hours ago, SST said:

First question is, is that 7000lbs combined weight of truck and trailer?

I bet the answer to that is yes.  The main reason they post these weight limits is to restrict the size and types of vehicles taking these routes and bypassing highways and tolls and shtuuufff like that.  Not necessarily for a weight issue like on an old bridge or something like that. 

16 hours ago, SST said:

Second question is,  does that weight limit mean commercial only or everybody.

Yes because it's mostly because of restricting commercial traffic through these particular areas such as heavily residential or park areas.

This bypass is due to a steep descent. Although the bypass does go around the town, it offers a more gradual descent.