Sign in to follow this  
Chap243

New motor wont start- need advise.

On 5/5/2019 at 7:58 PM, Chap243 said:

My oil dipstick system looks nothing like yours in the picture. My dipstick does not go into the oil pan at all. It runs parallel to it.

Do you have a schematic of that running parallel to the pan?  Hard to figure out how that would give you any kind of reading at that angle.

Is the new engine the same way also?

361577860_VPoil.thumb.png.1da405bdb21f738f5d29f4c346589569.png

Mine looks like this set up. Part #38 is bolted to the bottom of the oil pan. Dipstick tube is part #35, It never touches the oil pan oil.

18 hours ago, Chap243 said:

361577860_VPoil.thumb.png.1da405bdb21f738f5d29f4c346589569.pngMine looks like this set up. Part #38 is bolted to the bottom of the oil pan. Dipstick tube is part #35, It never touches the oil pan oil.

Not sure how that takes a reading.  Is the new 5.7 the same setup?

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Not sure how that takes a reading.  Is the new 5.7 the same setup?

I guess that's part of my past issue. I think the system can lead to inaccurate readings, especially on the second pull reading that I has been using( pulling cable out, wiping it down and reinserting). Oil on the cable can get pulled up the tube and give a false reading on the indicator. Not sure how the new series of engines read their oil.

The good news is that I will be picking up my boat today, all done, should be ready to hit the water next week.

On 5/7/2019 at 2:55 PM, Chap243 said:

Mine looks like this set up. Part #38 is bolted to the bottom of the oil pan. Dipstick tube is part #35, It never touches the oil pan oil.

My 04 gie is the same way. The oil in the pan should be the same level as the tube. I think this system is better for pumping the oil out of the dipstick tube at oil changes.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:58 PM, Chap243 said:

My oil dipstick system looks nothing like yours in the picture. My dipstick does not go into the oil pan at all. It runs parallel to it.

You know what, I was completely wrong about my setup.  I must've been looking at something else other than the dipstick going to the oil pan and yesterday, while spending hours cleaning the bilge and contorting myself into areas I never thought I could physically get into and while wiping down the starter and cleaning it (which BTW happens to be waaaaay in the back portside of bottom of the engine and not in the front I was also wrong about that!) I took another look at the oil dipstick tube and traced it correctly this time and much to my surprise, it's the same exact one as yours in that schematic!!!  I nearly had a heart attack!  Couldn't believe it!

So I'm thinking -- now that I really got a good look at it and trying to figure out how that works -- that I'm not so sure that the dipstick itself actually makes it all the way down and into that brass fitting because I doubt it makes that 90* turn in the tube right before the brass fixture.  The plastic reader with the notch and hash marks on it at the end of the stick in about 1-1/2" long and there is no way that is making the 90* turn.  So I think that brass fitting (part #38) allows the oil in the pan to come into the tube and rise to the same level as it is in the pan, past that 90* turn in the tube.  Kinda like a siphoning effect without creating air bubbles or letting water in etc.  Then the oil level is sitting in the tube before the 90* bend and that's where the dipstick end reads it.  Does that sound right to you?

9 hours ago, Hatem said:

You know what, I was completely wrong about my setup.  I must've been looking at something else other than the dipstick going to the oil pan and yesterday, while spending hours cleaning the bilge and contorting myself into areas I never thought I could physically get into and while wiping down the starter and cleaning it (which BTW happens to be waaaaay in the back portside of bottom of the engine and not in the front I was also wrong about that!) I took another look at the oil dipstick tube and traced it correctly this time and much to my surprise, it's the same exact one as yours in that schematic!!!  I nearly had a heart attack!  Couldn't believe it!

So I'm thinking -- now that I really got a good look at it and trying to figure out how that works -- that I'm not so sure that the dipstick itself actually makes it all the way down and into that brass fitting because I doubt it makes that 90* turn in the tube right before the brass fixture.  The plastic reader with the notch and hash marks on it at the end of the stick in about 1-1/2" long and there is no way that is making the 90* turn.  So I think that brass fitting (part #38) allows the oil in the pan to come into the tube and rise to the same level as it is in the pan, past that 90* turn in the tube.  Kinda like a siphoning effect without creating air bubbles or letting water in etc.  Then the oil level is sitting in the tube before the 90* bend and that's where the dipstick end reads it.  Does that sound right to you?

Yes, that’s my understanding of the system as I learned it while the engine was sitting in my garage all winter. The dipstick does not go all the way to the bottom, it just parallels the oil pan and oil level inside it. I just don’t know why, other than for siphoning the oil out, why this system is used to read the oil level over the conventional dipstick directly into the oil pan as found in all automobiles. Volvo blocks, and maybe Merc’s too have the engine blocks dipstick oil hole plugged.

Whatever happened to cause my old blocks demise, I am happy to say it has been a learning experience. I now have a new engine, that seems to be running well and am excited about the new boating season. Got about three hours on the new block, still breaking her in.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, Chap243 said:

Yes, that’s my understanding of the system as I learned it while the engine was sitting in my garage all winter. The dipstick does not go all the way to the bottom, it just parallels the oil pan and oil level inside it. I just don’t know why, other than for siphoning the oil out, why this system is used to read the oil level over the conventional dipstick directly into the oil pan as found in all automobiles. Volvo blocks, and maybe Merc’s too have the engine blocks dipstick oil hole plugged.

Whatever happened to cause my old blocks demise, I am happy to say it has been a learning experience. I now have a new engine, that seems to be running well and am excited about the new boating season. Got about three hours on the new block, still breaking her in.

Obviously that bizarre design and particularly the brass fixture and bent tube have A LOT to do with why it's so hard to pump out oil from the #%&*%^.  If it wasn't for the oil container that reads level of quarts, I would never know how many I've pulled out once it stops pulling out any more.  At least I can see between 6 and 7 quarts and I know I've gotten more of it.  But it takes a #$%$&$% hour to pull that @#$%@# out!  Man, Volvo sucks! :D 

Put a tad bit of this stuff (Mystery Oil) in with your gas at winterizing and oil when you change it.  Stuff is amazing and works really well.  Recommneded to me by an old-timer mechanic friend of mine and I use it all the time.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marvel-MM13R-Mystery-Oil-32-oz/537954757?sourceid=csebr03c609f53f58094c3dbbc199e8bcbdc400&wmlspartner=bizratecom&affcmpid=646316079&tmode=0000&veh=cse&szredirectid=15584528372801639683910070301008005

Oil Additive, 32 Oz, Red, Transparent

I put a quart of that in a 1980 F150 with a 300 straight six in it. Stopped the noisy lifters and never came back. Good stuff.