rjbergen

Launch Date Delayed!

I'm bummed! I was scheduled to launch at 1 PM on Friday. However, yesterday I got a call from the marina that when they performed my scheduled outdrive service, my port u-joint bellows had water in them and the gimbal bearing was bad :( After some discussions, I decided to restart the clock and have both u-joint and exhaust bellows replaced on both drives, gimbal bearing on port, and check/replace trim senders if necessary. My bill went from 4 hours of labor anbout abour $120 in parts (mostly 6 qts. gear oil) to 12 hours of labor plus an estimated $500-$600 in parts if they don't replace the trim senders... To top it all off, they said this will delay my launch and they'll splash me next week now.

It's always something else on a boat!

B.O.A.T. - Bust Out Another Thousand

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, rjbergen said:

I'm bummed! I was scheduled to launch at 1 PM on Friday. However, yesterday I got a call from the marina that when they performed my scheduled outdrive service, my port u-joint bellows had water in them and the gimbal bearing was bad :( After some discussions, I decided to restart the clock and have both u-joint and exhaust bellows replaced on both drives, gimbal bearing on port, and check/replace trim senders if necessary. My bill went from 4 hours of labor anbout abour $120 in parts (mostly 6 qts. gear oil) to 12 hours of labor plus an estimated $500-$600 in parts if they don't replace the trim senders... To top it all off, they said this will delay my launch and they'll splash me next week now.

It's always something else on a boat!

B.O.A.T. - Bust Out Another Thousand

That sucks but only the fact that it's gonna cost you more $.  The delay isn't really that bad, only a week.  I'd say you're doing ok considering how busy this time of year is.  And the fact that they probably already have one or both of the drives off will speed up the process.

I was going to pull mine off last Saturday but it rained cats & dogs all day and into Sunday, so I'm doing it tomorrow.  I'm also changing both bellows because of barnacles.  They actually look pretty good but I don't want to chance it.  They're the original ones on the boat so 8+ years it's probably time.  I'm actually looking forward to doing it.  Got a bunch of other little odds and ends to do including installing the rocker switch for the new windlass.

#$^%, my launch date will hopefully be before Memorial Day wknd!  The rain just won't stop!!  They're saying a chance of wet flakes this wknd here in NE PA!!!  I'm not even pulling it out of the barn till the rain stops!!

23 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

#$^%, my launch date will hopefully be before Memorial Day wknd!  The rain just won't stop!!  They're saying a chance of wet flakes this wknd here in NE PA!!!  I'm not even pulling it out of the barn till the rain stops!!

We've had April snow here on occasion, but it's rare for sure.  I haven't removed the shrink wrap yet because of this friggin rain.  Today it's raining, delaying my concrete work on site and it rained like crazy earlier in the week and last Saturday it rained nonstop from the morning to Sunday morning.  Driving in the neighborhood I could hear sump pumps everywhere.  Then by the time we're out on the water, it's 4th of July and next thing you know it's time to winterize.

I just got back from 4 days on the cruiser..... The crowds have not descended on the lake yet so it was nice to have unlimited beaching options. A bit windy but that is to be expected this time of year. 

Snow expected here too. Mostly likely in the ski country. Still to much ice in the marina, Lake Erie and the Niagara River. 

42 minutes ago, SST said:

Snow expected here too. Mostly likely in the ski country. Still to much ice in the marina, Lake Erie and the Niagara River. 

They just started pulling the ice boom out on Monday.  About 2% ice coverage on Lake Erie, which is about 180 square miles.  The lake water temperature at the west end of the lake is already in the 40's.  Still 32 degrees at this end.  And this weekend isn't going to do us any favors to melt the ice.  At or below freezing temperatures at night for the next couple of days.  Ugh.  Well, on the plus side, my house projects are not completed yet, so I will bang them out this week.  

5 hours ago, Hatem said:

That sucks but only the fact that it's gonna cost you more $.  The delay isn't really that bad, only a week.  I'd say you're doing ok considering how busy this time of year is.  And the fact that they probably already have one or both of the drives off will speed up the process.

I was going to pull mine off last Saturday but it rained cats & dogs all day and into Sunday, so I'm doing it tomorrow.  I'm also changing both bellows because of barnacles.  They actually look pretty good but I don't want to chance it.  They're the original ones on the boat so 8+ years it's probably time.  I'm actually looking forward to doing it.  Got a bunch of other little odds and ends to do including installing the rocker switch for the new windlass.

Don't forget to take photos for our entertainment.

3 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I just got back from 4 days on the cruiser..... The crowds have not descended on the lake yet so it was nice to have unlimited beaching options. A bit windy but that is to be expected this time of year. 

Flew over Powell and Mead a couple of times this week. Sure looks a lot lower than I recall. Some of the launches were way back from the waterline.

Yeah we need the spring run off but these days that does not do much good because they dump the water out of Powell to feed Mead. Some ramps are closed but they will reopen soon. There are plenty to chose from. 

Ottawa River is expected to crest 1 meter above record level of 2017.  Nasty spring to start with.

13 hours ago, Hatem said:

We've had April snow here on occasion, but it's rare for sure.  I haven't removed the shrink wrap yet because of this friggin rain.  Today it's raining, delaying my concrete work on site and it rained like crazy earlier in the week and last Saturday it rained nonstop from the morning to Sunday morning.  Driving in the neighborhood I could hear sump pumps everywhere.  Then by the time we're out on the water, it's 4th of July and next thing you know it's time to winterize.

We’ve had a pretty wet spring it seems. Lots of days with very high winds and a lot of rain. The shrink came off 2 or 3 weeks ago now, and this week they started forecasting an inch of wet snow tomorrow night. I’m hoping that misses us!

the weather is just insane!  This morning it's 42 in NE PA.  Forecasting wet snow tomorrow with possible slushy accumulations!  SO much for getting my boat out and there goes my plan to detail my truck!!:angry2:

18 hours ago, Toddavid said:

I always take pics of everything I do, all the time, no matter what field it is.  It's a good way to keep a record of things and memory. 

I'm also a big proponent of the ultimate TD Practice.  :)

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, Toddavid said:

Thought of you yesterday as I finally peeled back the shrinkwrap and first thing I was sooooo eager to find out is how well charged my super expensive 1000 crank batteries stayed all winter with just being plugged into the onboard charger.  So I put my voltmeter on engine battery and got 14.7vt and 14.6vt on both houses.  I was really happy with that because those were a pretty penny.  Checked oil level, looked about the engine hoses (looks like I have a small leak at the hose clamp coming out of the thermostat housing) and hand-felt under the engine as much as possible and stuck the key in, got my 3 beeps and fuel pump prime and then VRRROOOOAAAAM! lol  Love it when it starts on the first go.

Looking at my bellows, they actually look pretty dam good to the point where I might not even replace them.  I'll decide later today.  New impeller, new serpentine belt, new transom switch and a few odds and ends (oh and I have a lot of vacuuming to do from all that grinding I did for the windlass.  Then I'm mixing a couple of batches of resin and peanut butter and testing them before I set the windlass platform in permanently. This rain has sucked assss because I could've been done with all of this 2 or 3 weeks ago.  It's been raining nonstop it's like WTF!?  I'll take a bunch of pics and post them.

Still looking for the best deal on my manifolds, risers and elbow holy @#$%@# that stuff is expensive!