Sign in to follow this  
cigarzfan

Key Features for Dock/Lift?

For those of you with a dock and a lift, are there key design features we should seek in building a new one? In other words, any features you wish you had in hindsight?

get a remote control for your lift - so that you can launch and return without depending on others.  

its also nice to be able to board your boat from either side, but not a necessity. 

consider making the slip longer than your current boat, in case you want a bigger boat later (you never know).

same for the weight capacity of your hoist motor.  

you will want a storage shack on the dock, preferably one that doubles as a bar and also adequate shade for lounging. 

plenty of electric outlets for other things (fans, power tools, stereo, etc..) and water pump.  

think about where you could put a jet ski (second slip vs attached floater) 

think about where boating guests could park and tie up.  

If I plan on staying around for a while (and Lord willing) I would consider a synthetic (trex type) deck.   If 10 yrs or less, then would just go with wood.

those would be high on my list.  

good luck and have fun with it.  

On 4/26/2019 at 6:18 PM, VAboater said:

consider making the slip longer than your current boat, in case you want a bigger boat later (you never know).

+1 on getting a bigger lift. My boat is under 6000 pounds, but I got a 10,000 pound lift, in case I upgrade some day.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:18 PM, VAboater said:

get a remote control for your lift - so that you can launch and return without depending on others.  

its also nice to be able to board your boat from either side, but not a necessity. 

you will want a storage shack on the dock, preferably one that doubles as a bar and also adequate shade for lounging. 

plenty of electric outlets for other things (fans, power tools, stereo, etc..) and water pump.  

think about where you could put a jet ski (second slip vs attached floater) 

think about where boating guests could park and tie up.  

If I plan on staying around for a while (and Lord willing) I would consider a synthetic (trex type) deck.   If 10 yrs or less, then would just go with wood.

those would be high on my list.  

good luck and have fun with it.  

+1 on all of this.

You didn’t say if this was going into private boat house or community dock environment.  Depending on which, you will have different options to consider.  If you’re building a private boat house, happy to share our building experience on a phone call. If public facility, other on the forum can assist better than I.  Things like winter removal due to ice have a significant influence on what you install as well.