Lyons87

Newbie here, restoring my dad's 86' 200 xlc

Thanks for the add guys! My dad passed away and I ended up buying his 1986 200 xlc from my stepmom, long story short, she damaged quite a few things and left the cover off of it for months, and the floor is soft. This boat means so very much to me considering I grew up in this boat(my dad bought it when I was 6.) And it's all I have left of my dad. But if you guys could give me some tips and cue me in on the best, affordable places to buy new seats and supplies, I would be forever grateful. It's got a 5.7 v8 mercruiser engine that runs. So that's one good thing I have going for me lol!

MVIMG_20190502_174021.jpg

For upholstery look for local interior shop that does cars and boats.  There probably isn't alot out there as far as direct replacement parts.  Google will be your friend.  You'll be able to search and find a lot of what you will need.  I find Amazon a great place to get parts for maintenance.  Just watch it though as there are some counterfeit items around.  I general stick with Mercury replacement parts, though Quciksilver parts have made it onto my boat too.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, Lyons87 said:

Thanks for the add guys! My dad passed away and I ended up buying his 1986 200 xlc from my stepmom, long story short, she damaged quite a few things and left the cover off of it for months, and the floor is soft. This boat means so very much to me considering I grew up in this boat(my dad bought it when I was 6.) And it's all I have left of my dad.

Sorry for your loss, but I have to tell you, your stepmom doesn't sound like a very nice lady to be perfectly honest with you.  She left it uncovered which appears to have created problems and she made you pay for it?  What a mean person.  Sounds like the first thing you need to do is address the condition of the wood floor at the soft spots, then go from there.

Hey guys!! Just wanted to update, I got all the teak wood restored, including the back swim platform, I used the starbrite 3 part system with some elbow grease and patience it looks gorgeous!! 

20200317_155336-COLLAGE.jpg

On 5/2/2019 at 6:41 PM, Lyons87 said:

Thanks for the add guys! My dad passed away and I ended up buying his 1986 200 xlc from my stepmom, long story short, she damaged quite a few things and left the cover off of it for months, and the floor is soft. This boat means so very much to me considering I grew up in this boat(my dad bought it when I was 6.) And it's all I have left of my dad. But if you guys could give me some tips and cue me in on the best, affordable places to buy new seats and supplies, I would be forever grateful. It's got a 5.7 v8 mercruiser engine that runs. So that's one good thing I have going for me lol!

MVIMG_20190502_174021.jpg

Well I am not going to see anything about your stepmom. We don't know the circumstances.

BUT, good luck with the boat! there is Defender.com   &   https://www.easternmarine.com/  

Post some pictures of the interior condition & style of seats .   I usually work from the bottom up on a boat.  I have helped others do a major floor & wood beam replacements.

I never tear out all the flooring and beams that are rotted. Some hulls can spread apart  far enough at the windshield walk thru.   1 or 2 inches with the floor & beams gone. Then the new beams & floor are installed.  Later surprise is terrible.  I just added a color matched wood & Anodized Aluminum strip & car gasket  strip to fill in the gap.