Sign in to follow this  
Water Dawg 6

Manifold and Elbow/Riser Issue

Gents, so I was finishing installing my new Exhaust Manifolds and Elbows.  Prior to getting into the project I contact the company and asked for the torque specs for torqing the elbow to the manifold and they said it's 45lbs and so did the guy at SternDrives.com.  So I finished installing everything and started up the boat.  The Port Engine ran like a champ, no leaks and sounded great.  The Starboard engine sounded a little off, so I monitored it closely.  I noticed water dripping between the Elbow and Manifold.   I knew I must have damaged the gasket putting it on. So it took it back off, installed a new gasket and as I was torqing the bolts back down (the very last bolt) I got to 36lbs and the hole stripped out.  I'm thinking the best thing to do is to tap the hole one size larger, but if I do that where am I going to find that type of bolt.  Any suggestions? 

6 minutes ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to tap the hole one size larger, but if I do that where am I going to find that type of bolt.  Any suggestions? 

That’s a bummer, but better it failed now than wiggle out when out. Fastenal, Wise, something like that. Almost all towns have a trade fastener store. Many, but not all, Ag. supply stores and “ole fashioned” hardware stores (metropolitan locations not typically; but the more rural ones, bingo). Napa’s when located in a cluster of lakes usually have a good assortment of options, at least in my experience. A thread insert will also work. Mercury or Volvo Penta?

BT Doctor,  for some reason I can't pull up the image you posted.  However, I know Torque Specs for Mercruiser are around 35lbs but these aren't Mercruiser Manifolds, they're after market manifolds.  So that's why I contacted them for the torque specs.  They even have the specs posted on their site.  All the other 15 bolts I did, torqued down great with no issues.  I think there was a flaw in this specific manifold. 

The Merc is 25 manifold, 33 elbow   .3/8 ths bolts are not normally pulled to 45 foot pounds. Thread depth is at most 5/8ths

gm small block head bolts are 70-75 Ft/Lbs and I have used heli`s in those with no problems

dont care if they were made by joe-blo  troque is torque no matter what

My torque wrench has both lbs and nm's. I know I used lbs but again, I just followed the specs they gave me.  Too late for all of that now.  The problem with Heli-Coil is that you still have to Tap/drill the hole out and then you have to get that metal tab out when your done. 

If the depth of the hole is more than the insert, punch off the tang and leave it in there  or remove it with a magnetic wand

On 5/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, Water Dawg 6 said:

Gents, so I was finishing installing my new Exhaust Manifolds and Elbows.  Prior to getting into the project I contact the company and asked for the torque specs for torqing the elbow to the manifold and they said it's 45lbs and so did the guy at SternDrives.com.  So I finished installing everything and started up the boat.  The Port Engine ran like a champ, no leaks and sounded great.  The Starboard engine sounded a little off, so I monitored it closely.  I noticed water dripping between the Elbow and Manifold.   I knew I must have damaged the gasket putting it on. So it took it back off, installed a new gasket and as I was torqing the bolts back down (the very last bolt) I got to 36lbs and the hole stripped out.  I'm thinking the best thing to do is to tap the hole one size larger, but if I do that where am I going to find that type of bolt.  Any suggestions? 

How did you make out?  Was that the engine where the original bolts for the manifolds and elbows were loose to begin with?

Another option (if you have the room and a flat enough surface) is tap out the stripped hole and use a washer and nut with a new bolt.  Won't look as pretty but touch it up with that black paint and it should work fine if the other 3 are grabbing nicely as well.  Just don't over-torque it or the flange on the elbow or manifold will crack.

I need to do mine but having a tough time finding them without breaking the bank, especially when I need 6" risers between the manifolds and elbows for the VP 8.1. 

There isn't a nut, the bolt screws into the exhaust manifold itself.  I have to pull the manifold back off the boat this weekend and take it to this auto-shop down the street.  They're going to Tap it out and install a Heli-Coil inside that hole.  Then I'll be able to use the original bolt and torque it down.  As for your manifolds - Have you tried Basic Power out of Harkers Island, NC?  That's were I got mine from and they were pretty cheap compared to everyone else. 

On 5/6/2019 at 8:51 AM, Water Dawg 6 said:

Bt Doctur, I thought about Heli-Coil but do you think that'll be strong enough?

Heli Coils are stronger than the original threads

That's what I was told by Merc when I contacted them yesterday.  The issue with Heli Coils though is that they are only held in by friction.  Think it's the way to go though, so I can use my original bolt.  The only other option would have been to tap it out to a larger size but trying to find a bolt would have been impossible (I tried).  TIME-SERT was another option.  They're just like Heli-Coils and some would argue are even better but they are more pricy. 

Just replaced mine - opted for all oem parts, single screw so half the cost than what it would have been with twins ( thats how I explained it to my wife !)

2012 287SSX Volvo 8.1

I forget how to minimize the size of a photo in order to attach to this forum so I printed to .pdf new ehaust 1 in pdf.pdf   have a couple more pics  but will have to figure out how to attach, its no fun getting old

2 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

There isn't a nut, the bolt screws into the exhaust manifold itself. 

You misunderstood.  I was suggesting another option, but doesn't matter now.

2 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

As for your manifolds - Have you tried Basic Power out of Harkers Island, NC?  That's were I got mine from and they were pretty cheap compared to everyone else. 

I did.  First they asked me what length were the risers when I had already told them in my initial request, I think they just wanted to see if my email was working and that I wasn't a bot and after sending them all the parts numbers, pictures, engine tags the whole nine yards....nothing!  Blew me off completely even after reaching out again to them.  That's alright, we'll move on thx anyway. 

1 hour ago, 287SSX said:

Just replaced mine - opted for all oem parts, single screw so half the cost than what it would have been with twins ( thats how I explained it to my wife !)

2012 287SSX Volvo 8.1

I forget how to minimize the size of a photo in order to attach to this forum so I printed to .pdf new ehaust 1 in pdf.pdf   have a couple more pics  but will have to figure out how to attach, its no fun getting old

Looks great! 

287 -- I'm just jealous of that engine room you have.  I felt like gumby trying to change mine out, no room at all. 

Hatem:  The older guy there has probably been the one checking the email and yes he is very forgetful and not very customer service orientated.  I would call them again if I was you cause I know for a fact getting them from them vice anywhere else will save you a bunch of deer. 

10 minutes ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

287 -- I'm just jealous of that engine room you have.  I felt like gumby trying to change mine out, no room at all. 

Hatem:  The older guy there has probably been the one checking the email and yes he is very forgetful and not very customer service orientated.  I would call them again if I was you cause I know for a fact getting them from them vice anywhere else will save you a bunch of deer. 

Thx, Dawg.  I'll try them one more time and this time I'll call them.

I need the same exact ones 287 has with the 6-inch risers.  I was surprised at the cost I got from my local VP distributer, it was way out of line.  I almost told them that I thought they were high on crack!  But I didn't since I get almost all my other stuff from them.  :D  So far, Cecil Marine actually has the best price for the complete 8.1 kit.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:41 AM, Water Dawg 6 said:

That's what I was told by Merc when I contacted them yesterday.  The issue with Heli Coils though is that they are only held in by friction.  Think it's the way to go though, so I can use my original bolt.  The only other option would have been to tap it out to a larger size but trying to find a bolt would have been impossible (I tried).  TIME-SERT was another option.  They're just like Heli-Coils and some would argue are even better but they are more pricy. 

I know you're concernved about Heli-Coils, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them. We use them frequently at work in military vehicle applications. I work for the Army as an engineer and we don't hesitate to specify a Heli-Coil.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:54 AM, Hatem said:

Thx, Dawg.  I'll try them one more time and this time I'll call them.

I need the same exact ones 287 has with the 6-inch risers.  I was surprised at the cost I got from my local VP distributer, it was way out of line.  I almost told them that I thought they were high on crack!  But I didn't since I get almost all my other stuff from them.  :D  So far, Cecil Marine actually has the best price for the complete 8.1 kit.

Have you checked Michigan Motorz?

43 minutes ago, rjbergen said:

Have you checked Michigan Motorz?

I just did and definitely the best price so far!  Quite a savings from all the other places, thank you! 

57 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I just did and definitely the best price so far!  Quite a savings from all the other places, thank you! 

Just make sure you piece it together correctly. Didn't look like they have a kit for the 8.1.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, Water Dawg 6 said:

45# was way too high for that size stud. Whenever I use a Heli -Coil, I stake an actual threaded stud into position, and set it with red locktite. Then it's there to stay, and you would slide your riser/elbow over the stud and affix with a flat washer, and self locking nut. Removal in the future is just a matter of just removing the nut and washer.  W