Denny

Plug, What Plug?

Well, this was my 27th shake down cruise with my girl. And it finally happened, I forgot to put her plug in. I must have ventured from my normal winter decommissioning routine. It is something that I never check in the spring commission, because it was already taken care of the past fall.

There is positive in all of this. First at 75yrs young, I can still run up hill without fainting when I have reached my tow vehicle. Second I learned that my bilge pump did a good job keeping up. 3rd that even with the extra weight that my girl had gained, my Acadia AWD, got her out. 4th that none of the people at the public launch had a clue as to what was happening, or did not care.

Even though my bilge pump did a pretty good job, I think that I may add another one. One last thing to do, put in a new power steering pump. Other then that small speed bump, the rest of the shake down cruise went well.

Routines and check lists are a good thing, do not vary from them.  Denny

10 hours ago, Denny said:

Well, this was my 27th shake down cruise with my girl. And it finally happened, I forgot to put her plug in. I must have ventured from my normal winter decommissioning routine. It is something that I never check in the spring commission, because it was already taken care of the past fall.

There is positive in all of this. First at 75yrs young, I can still run up hill without fainting when I have reached my tow vehicle. Second I learned that my bilge pump did a good job keeping up. 3rd that even with the extra weight that my girl had gained, my Acadia AWD, got her out. 4th that none of the people at the public launch had a clue as to what was happening, or did not care.

Even though my bilge pump did a pretty good job, I think that I may add another one. One last thing to do, put in a new power steering pump. Other then that small speed bump, the rest of the shake down cruise went well.

Routines and check lists are a good thing, do not vary from them.  Denny

Did the bottom of the starter get wet? Does not sound like it but best to be sure. W

5 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Did the bottom of the starter get wet? Does not sound like it but best to be sure. W

No, I do not believe so. None of the floor seemed to be wet in that area, and it started right up after I drained it.

Anything that I should be looking for?  Denny.

Years ago, I retrieved my boat from the shop and launched. I don't recall doing a thorough walk-around for inspection. We launched and headed out. But as we left the marina, it didn't feel right. I didn't know why so I had my friend drive while I pulled the engine cover back. To my big surprise, water was entering the engine compartment. The drain plug was missing. We then immediately turned around and returned to the marina, put it back on the trailer and pulled it out.   

The shop guy never reinstalled the plug but I never checked either.  Fortunately, I had a spare and installed it and relaunched. 

Denny, thank goodness you didn't end up on YouTube!  

5 minutes ago, Denny said:

No, I do not believe so. None of the floor seemed to be wet in that area, and it started right up after I drained it.

Anything that I should be looking for?  Denny.

No the starter is the low point. They usually hang in there for a month or two before they fail after getting dunked. Never really understood that, but it sounds like you got lucky.  I too upgraded my bilge pump with a high output model. Double the capacity, and can use both the same wiring, breaker, and discharge hose. W

2 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

No the starter is the low point. They usually hang in there for a month or two before they fail after getting dunked. Never really understood that, but it sounds like you got lucky.  I too upgraded my bilge pump with a high output model. Double the capacity, and can use both the same wiring, breaker, and discharge hose. W

Thanks, I was just going to add a complete unit, hose and all.  Denny.

On another note, going to order my power steering pump today, Sierra or Merc, new pulley or use old?  Denny.

If you have the specialized pulley puller, then re-use the old, but figure on using some heat to get the old one off. There is a threaded center hole on the new pump shaft, but it will pull on really hard, so if you don't have the installation tool that includes the friction washer and bearing, I'd opt for the one with the pulley. I never used an aftermarket pump, but then I've only ever replaced one on a boat.  W

6 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

If you have the specialized pulley puller, then re-use the old, but figure on using some heat to get the old one off. There is a threaded center hole on the new pump shaft, but it will pull on really hard, so if you don't have the installation tool that includes the friction washer and bearing, I'd opt for the one with the pulley. I never used an aftermarket pump, but then I've only ever replaced one on a boat.  W

Thanks, I know that the Sierra does not come with a pulley, not sure about Merc. I will check into the Merc, if it comes with a pulley attached, that is the best way for me, I do not have the tools. Thanks,  Denny.

I made that mistake in my younger years.  I was about 25 years old (maybe younger) and took my dad's Bass Tracker out for a spin.  Wife and I launched it, she parked the truck, and I tooled around waiting on her.  Now, this was a boat you could put the plug in from the bilge.  Unfortunately, I had placed the plug on the gunwale and of course it was now at the bottom of the lake. 

Don't remember all the details, but I beached the boat, turned the bow into the waves and had the wife stay there holding the bow into the waves while I retrieved the truck and trailer.  By the time I got back, the bow was on the beach and waves were crashing over the stern (filling the boat).  I put the trailer in and started bailing the boat.  Once it would float again, I took off, got on plane, and allowed the remaining water to exit the drain hole.  Can't recall why, but I couldn't get the boat on the trailer.  Something to do with the ramp.  Random camper saw my struggle, asked the wife for my keys, took the truck and trailer to another steeper ramp.  Anytime I slowed down, water would again enter.  I slowed down to load the boat, and about 100 yards from the ramp...motor dies.  Water starts coming back in.  I am panicked now, but finally got the motor fired up and had to gun it onto the trailer loaded with about 1,000lbs of water.  

Almost lost my Dad's boat that day.  I am hopeful that experience will last me a lifetime!  So far, so good!

So I keep a spare plug in the glove box so I can grab it and jump in the water and install without pulling the boat out if I forget...……..  The one time it did happen, I jumped in and almost got swept under the floating dock because the current was so strong! (we launch at the intersection of two rivers).  And when the adrenaline is going it's harder than you think to thread the stupid plug into the hole!! :blink:

51 minutes ago, JeffL said:

So I keep a spare plug in the glove box so I can grab it and jump in the water and install without pulling the boat out if I forget...……..  The one time it did happen, I jumped in and almost got swept under the floating dock because the current was so strong! (we launch at the intersection of two rivers).  And when the adrenaline is going it's harder than you think to thread the stupid plug into the hole!! :blink:

What is neat about our stories is they could have been disasters and ended up on You Tube, like SST said. However they became an adventure into the unknown, that we know laugh about and share with others.  Denny.

Ya know, if you go really fast, you really dont need a plug, lol

21 hours ago, Denny said:

Holy crap, Denny.  Where you still launching when you noticed the plug wasn't in?

5 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Holy crap, Denny.  Where you still launching when you noticed the plug wasn't in?

NO, I noticed something was wrong when I was walking back after I had parked my vehicle and seen this stream of water coming out the starboard side. As I was running up the hill, I keep thinking about what might have happened, maybe a boot, or my bellows. When I got her up on the ramp to where I could see, I seen this other stream coming out the bottom of the transom.

It was a (stream of relief), because the extent of my repairs was to drive to a near by marina and purchase a new plug.The whole adventure cost me $10 and a little under a hour of my time. Relaunched her, went fishing, and took that picture of my new flag and pole.  Denny.

If you look hard enough there is positive in everything.

40 minutes ago, Denny said:

Relaunched her, went fishing, and took that picture of my new flag and pole.  

Love the boat, love it with the flag. They fit just right. 

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

Love the boat, love it with the flag. They fit just right. 

Thanks, going out west for a month, I will get some more when I get back in the water again. Like I said it looks like she came with it. Denny.

10 hours ago, Denny said:

NO, I noticed something was wrong when I was walking back after I had parked my vehicle and seen this stream of water coming out the starboard side. As I was running up the hill, I keep thinking about what might have happened, maybe a boot, or my bellows. When I got her up on the ramp to where I could see, I seen this other stream coming out the bottom of the transom.

It was a (stream of relief), because the extent of my repairs was to drive to a near by marina and purchase a new plug.The whole adventure cost me $10 and a little under a hour of my time. Relaunched her, went fishing, and took that picture of my new flag and pole.  Denny.

If you look hard enough there is positive in everything.

Thank God for the bilge pump, ey.  I pick up both floats for both pumps every once in a while to check that they're working, just for peace of mind.  As a matter of fact, when I get a bit of water in the bilge after a long day out or after a heavy rain storm, I pull each pump out of its seat and use it to extract some of the water and use that as a check to see that it's working.  Us types who slip all season only have to worry about that the one time when we first launch.  I suppose that's easier to not forget it since it's on the one, major checklist prior to launching.  If you trailer all the time and are constantly taking out the plug after each outing, your chances of forgetting to put it back in one of the times is much greater.  But it doesn't sound like you pull the plug out after each outing.  Is your bilge that dry?

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Thank God for the bilge pump, ey.  I pick up both floats for both pumps every once in a while to check that they're working, just for peace of mind.  As a matter of fact, when I get a bit of water in the bilge after a long day out or after a heavy rain storm, I pull each pump out of its seat and use it to extract some of the water and use that as a check to see that it's working.  Us types who slip all season only have to worry about that the one time when we first launch.  I suppose that's easier to not forget it since it's on the one, major checklist prior to launching.  If you trailer all the time and are constantly taking out the plug after each outing, your chances of forgetting to put it back in one of the times is much greater.  But it doesn't sound like you pull the plug out after each outing.  Is your bilge that dry?

The most water that gets in my bilge is when I wash my engine and bilge, after doing a poor job of changing my oil filter, it is really a tight fit getting it out, and I have no place to put a remote. This was the first time that I did not lay the plug and the 9/16 end wrench on the swim platform in my path of getting on and off. I too test my pump periodically. Yes the bilge for the most part is bone dry. There are some years when the plug never gets pulled.  Denny.

13 minutes ago, Denny said:

The most water that gets in my bilge is when I wash my engine and bilge, after doing a poor job of changing my oil filter, it is really a tight fit getting it out, and I have no place to put a remote. This was the first time that I did not lay the plug and the 9/16 end wrench on the swim platform in my path of getting on and off. I too test my pump periodically. Yes the bilge for the most part is bone dry. There are some years when the plug never gets pulled.  Denny.

So I'm not the only one who puts the wrench and plug right on the swim platform by the ladder so it's impossible to miss it and forget to stick it in? :D 

I wish my bilge was bone dry, ooof what a pain in the assssssss!  I actually had it for a while after going through every possible point of entry and was psyched!  But a few weeks later it started coming back.  It's not much at all, but enough to be irritating.

The dingy the charter company has us in this week, was missing a plug for the RIB bottom, while the cockpit plug was in allowing the dingy to run.  This morning I ised a Pusser’s bottle cork.  It fit perfectly and will be testing things out around Anagada, BVI today.  As side note, the RIB floats fine with both plugs out!

10 hours ago, Hatem said:

So I'm not the only one who puts the wrench and plug right on the swim platform by the ladder so it's impossible to miss it and forget to stick it in? :D 

I wish my bilge was bone dry, ooof what a pain in the assssssss!  I actually had it for a while after going through every possible point of entry and was psyched!  But a few weeks later it started coming back.  It's not much at all, but enough to be irritating.

Just like this for 26 of the 27 years.

Where is the water coming in at, is it a leak, or rain water?  Denny.

IMG_9918.jpg

I am sure that Dennis A will be able to come up with the answer to this. If you have a 3/4" hole at the bottom of your boat in the transom , (which I do), how many GPH of water would flow through it, over a given time? I have a 1500 GPH Rule circulating pump with a 1" discharge hose that is about 4' long, with a portion of it going up hill, I know that I have to allow for some restriction.

So is my present pump large enough?

She did not seem to be any lower in the water from the time of launch, to the time of retrieval, which was 10-15 min.

Also does she get heavier or lighter when taking on water. The attitude of the way she normally sits in the water did not seem to change. Like getting heavier in the back.

I would like to know if my present pump is big enough.

Not sure how much difference in GPH there would be when the hole was near the surface, compared to 2' under the surface.

Thanks for any and all input,  Denny.

12 hours ago, Denny said:

Just like this for 26 of the 27 years.

Nice.  Yep, I do the same exact thing.

12 hours ago, Denny said:

Where is the water coming in at, is it a leak, or rain water?  Denny.

Both.  When we go out and the weather is nice and bilge is dry, by the time we get back after probably 6 hours or so of being out on the water, there's probably 2-3 gallons of water in the bilge.  That actually translates to about 1/2" high water which doesn't even make it to the top of the plate that the factory-installed pump sits on.  So I try sucking as much of it out with the pump out of its seat and then use a sponge and a bucket to get the rest.  I'm usually tossing about 3 small buckets overboard before it's dry.

When it rains and of course depending on how much rain, I get about the same amount.  Sucks, but I'm almost always scooping it and sponging it out to keep it dry.

Listen to this:  The last 4 or 5 days I had to lower the bow on the trailer to raise the drive in the correct position to pull it off for inspection/maintenance and its been bow-down like that for the past few days.  Well, it's rained a few of those days and while the cover is on, when I came home last night I said to myself "crap, since I have to wait until those O-rings come in, I might as well crank the bow back up incase any of this rain gets in, it can drain out the butt plug."  Sure enough, I crank it up and walk back to look and it's streaming out, full blast for about 2 minutes!!!  Couldn't believe it.

10 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Nice.  Yep, I do the same exact thing.

Both.  When we go out and the weather is nice and bilge is dry, by the time we get back after probably 6 hours or so of being out on the water, there's probably 2-3 gallons of water in the bilge.  That actually translates to about 1/2" high water which doesn't even make it to the top of the plate that the factory-installed pump sits on.  So I try sucking as much of it out with the pump out of its seat and then use a sponge and a bucket to get the rest.  I'm usually tossing about 3 small buckets overboard before it's dry.

When it rains and of course depending on how much rain, I get about the same amount.  Sucks, but I'm almost always scooping it and sponging it out to keep it dry.

Listen to this:  The last 4 or 5 days I had to lower the bow on the trailer to raise the drive in the correct position to pull it off for inspection/maintenance and its been bow-down like that for the past few days.  Well, it's rained a few of those days and while the cover is on, when I came home last night I said to myself "crap, since I have to wait until those O-rings come in, I might as well crank the bow back up incase any of this rain gets in, it can drain out the butt plug."  Sure enough, I crank it up and walk back to look and it's streaming out, full blast for about 2 minutes!!!  Couldn't believe it.

With that much water coming in, you should be able to see where it is coming in at.

If it were me, I would pack something to eat and your favorite drink, make sure she is absolutely bone dry, launch her, open the rear hatch, and have lunch while looking to see where the water is coming in at. Thats a lot of water in such a short time.  Denny.