Jump to content
Denny

Plug, What Plug?

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Denny said:

With that much water coming in, you should be able to see where it is coming in at.

If it were me, I would pack something to eat and your favorite drink, make sure she is absolutely bone dry, launch her, open the rear hatch, and have lunch while looking to see where the water is coming in at. Thats a lot of water in such a short time.  Denny.

Oh believe me, been there and done that many times.  I've spent countless hours looking for where it's coming from while running and it's not exactly easy or safe with that 8.1 blaring and that huge serpentine belt in your face.  Even that, couldn't see anything.  Eventually I just said the heck with it.  I'll put a GoPro in there and se if it catches anything and at some point where there is enough down time, I'm going to remove the rub rail and reseal all the screw holes.  I have a feeling that's the culprit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Oh believe me, been there and done that many times.  I've spent countless hours looking for where it's coming from while running and it's not exactly easy or safe with that 8.1 blaring and that huge serpentine belt in your face.  Even that, couldn't see anything.  Eventually I just said the heck with it.  I'll put a GoPro in there and se if it catches anything and at some point where there is enough down time, I'm going to remove the rub rail and reseal all the screw holes.  I have a feeling that's the culprit.

What about lying paper towels in certain areas above the bilge that may have a possibility of leaking? If any should get wet, then you may have a starting point. That is one of the ways that we looked for leaks in vehicles.  Denny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denny said:

What about lying paper towels in certain areas above the bilge that may have a possibility of leaking? If any should get wet, then you may have a starting point. That is one of the ways that we looked for leaks in vehicles.  Denny.

I could do that.  There is a puddle on the top starboard side where it elevates to the swim platform and I think that's where the majority of it comes from and the only thing there that could cause that is the rubrail, which is why it's on my list.  We'll get it eventually.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just sprinkle Coco powder LIGHTLY all around the floor.  The water / oil pattern is right there.  But you still have to find the exact leak location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have forgot plugs a few times in jet skis :).

The plug should go on your boat key chain or attach to the steering wheel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 9:33 PM, Denny said:

I am sure that Dennis A will be able to come up with the answer to this. If you have a 3/4" hole at the bottom of your boat in the transom , (which I do), how many GPH of water would flow through it, over a given time? I have a 1500 GPH Rule circulating pump with a 1" discharge hose that is about 4' long, with a portion of it going up hill, I know that I have to allow for some restriction.

Well, I;m not Dennis, but according to the reference sources I have a 3/4" hole will flow apprx 660 GPH at one atmosphere pressure (14.7PSI.) It will increase some as you go lower from water pressure, but 2' only adds a little more that .75 PSI in fresh water. So...If you've got a 750 GPH pump you're going to keep up.

Well, assuming the pump ACTUALLY pumps the rating and it's not worn out, pumping against a big head pressure, or just plain broken!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe someday I'll have the cash to buy a bigger boat that would enable me to scoop the water out with a small bucket.  For me now, I can't scoop with a bucket. There just ain't no room to get the bucket underneath the engine. So, I bought a very small Craftsman wetvac and vacuum it out.  Good to the last drop.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 10:52 AM, Ultraclyde said:

Well, I;m not Dennis, but according to the reference sources I have a 3/4" hole will flow apprx 660 GPH at one atmosphere pressure (14.7PSI.) It will increase some as you go lower from water pressure, but 2' only adds a little more that .75 PSI in fresh water. So...If you've got a 750 GPH pump you're going to keep up.

Well, assuming the pump ACTUALLY pumps the rating and it's not worn out, pumping against a big head pressure, or just plain broken!

Thank you, for the info Ultraclyde, your input has put my mind at ease. My pump is rated at 1500 gph so it says on the Rule pump. So as long as it keeped pumping, she was not going down. Denny.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...