Sign in to follow this  
mpm330

Boating Season is Shot

Well it looks like the boat will be sitting most of the summer. Friday I had neck surgery and I will be laid up for at least 10 weeks. To top that off, the lake is flooded.  I probably should sell her, but can't get her cleaned up to show. 

I think it is time for more pain pills!

Sorry to hear that.  Hope you heal well and quickly!  Doesn't sound like much fun . . . 

Oh, man.  Sorry to hear!  Texoma is up too.  Looks like it should settle down soon.  Boat is in the shop for more engine problems.  It developed a VERY severe miss after our Florida trip in March.  I've given up and will let the professionals figure it out.  Happy to help you with anything you might need over the next 10 weeks.  Get better soon!

I had very minor surgery over the winter. Timed it that way. I'm up and "running."  10 weeks would pretty much terminate my season as well not to mention trying to take the boat out into Lake Erie with neck surgery recovery......no way!

Were you planning on selling the boat anyways? Is this surgery going to cause a problem after healing?  Good luck either way. 

9 hours ago, SST said:

I had very minor surgery over the winter. Timed it that way. I'm up and "running."  10 weeks would pretty much terminate my season as well not to mention trying to take the boat out into Lake Erie with neck surgery recovery......no way!

Were you planning on selling the boat anyways? Is this surgery going to cause a problem after healing?  Good luck either way. 

Wasn't planning on selling her, but being out for so long makes one think about it.  The surgery was kind of sudden, Saw the doc on a Monday and had it done Friday. Once it heals I should be good to go for a old fart.. 

Keep the boat until you are fully healed.  I sold my  Chap because of severe heart problems...................... I should have waited.  As a result I had to locate & buy another 186 SSI........... DO NOT SELL  !!!! Wait until there is really no hope.

It is not good to let it sit so long without running, but I really don't see me selling it. Maybe I can get my daughter to go run it, no that is probably a bad idea.

1 minute ago, mpm330 said:

It is not good to let it sit so long without running, but I really don't see me selling it. Maybe I can get my daughter to go run it, no that is probably a bad idea.

I live in Allen and work in Addison.  Seriously, let me know if I can help in any way.  You've helped me out here a lot.

Long time ?  Compared to when mine sat in storage for 1 1/2 years. It always goes in with just a 1/4 of a tank or less. No additives ever.  Pulled the boat. Ran it to the marine 0 % Ethanol High test pump. Filled it. Ran great. Fear is repeated as fact. Far faster than the truth. 81 years & never added any additives............. I must be the only lucky guy on Earth.

13 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I live in Allen and work in Addison.  Seriously, let me know if I can help in any way.  You've helped me out here a lot.

Thanks for the offer.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, mpm330 said:

Well it looks like the boat will be sitting most of the summer. Friday I had neck surgery and I will be laid up for at least 10 weeks. To top that off, the lake is flooded.  I probably should sell her, but can't get her cleaned up to show. 

I think it is time for more pain pills!

You got the good stuff?  :haha-7383:  Did you have a pinched nerve from a swollen disc or something like that?  Those can be very painful and aggravating for sure. 

Hey, who ever listens to those stupid doctors anyway?  Couple of weeks and you'll be fine!  :D 

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

You got the good stuff?  :haha-7383:  Did you have a pinched nerve from a swollen disc or something like that?  Those can be very painful and aggravating for sure. 

Hey, who ever listens to those stupid doctors anyway?  Couple of weeks and you'll be fine!  :D 

One disk was completely worn away and the bone had started to fuse, think that was 4 and 5. The doc had to saw them apart. Then 6 and 7 the disk had swollen. When you looked at the MRI it was a mess. I had no pain till the first of April and that is probably when the lower disk went. A lot of the pain is gone, it is just going to take awhile to heal. Love the hard neck brace that I have to wear. 

I do have some really good pain meds/ 

1 hour ago, mpm330 said:

One disk was completely worn away and the bone had started to fuse, think that was 4 and 5. The doc had to saw them apart. Then 6 and 7 the disk had swollen. When you looked at the MRI it was a mess. I had no pain till the first of April and that is probably when the lower disk went. A lot of the pain is gone, it is just going to take awhile to heal. Love the hard neck brace that I have to wear. 

I do have some really good pain meds/ 

Strange that you had no pain until recently.  You would think those discs wear out over a period of time but I guess the pain only happens once that fusing starts rubbing against one another.  

When I had my tonsils taken out about 7 years ago, they gave me a bunch of percosetts because I couldn't swallow any food from the bare wounds since they can't exactly bandage the inside of your throat.  Man those things are powerful!  :haha-7383:  They also gave them to me after my gallbladder was removed.  Take one of those and sit back and watch a sci-fi movie.  :D

Lower back issues eventually led to loss of motor function in my right leg, MRI showed bulging disc at L2/L3. I opted to do hydro therapy and acupuncture instead of surgery, and then followed up with many years of intensive core training.

I lived with debilitating back pain most of my life, assumed it was from bad lifting habits at work.

Moral of the story is that alternative treatments can fix it. Beware the addictive pain killers.

And don’t sell her!

13 hours ago, Toddavid said:

Lower back issues eventually led to loss of motor function in my right leg, MRI showed bulging disc at L2/L3. I opted to do hydro therapy and acupuncture instead of surgery, and then followed up with many years of intensive core training.

I lived with debilitating back pain most of my life, assumed it was from bad lifting habits at work.

Moral of the story is that alternative treatments can fix it. Beware the addictive pain killers.

And don’t sell her!

I have always had minor back problems.  For the most part, I was able to lift various objects but what really triggered my back problem was my dads boat trailer. 20 years?

I don't remember all the details but the trailer slid off the ball. We couldn't use the trailer stand with the swivel wheel because the hitch was on the ground. Stupid me lifted the trailer to get it on the ball. Out went my back. I did get it back in shape.  '

Jumping forward many years, while working at the airport handling a passenger who was a quadriplegic, the passenger started to shift and I had to hold them in position. But to do that with this passenger, I got into an unusual position which put pressure on my lower back. Boom out it went.  I was out of work for awhile. Came back and it would go out again.

Long story short, my chiropractor warned me many times that it wouldn't take much to cause permanent damage and not recover. So, no more heavy lifting.  Since then, my back has gone out without any warning. Just stood up and BANG. The two things that have saved me immeasurably are ice packs and this: https://www.aleve.com/aleve-direct-therapy/  I actually have a different device, I don't think its in production but it works great. Saved me hundreds in copays!

I am fortunate that with my boat it only takes a feathers touch to get it moving on or off the trailer [floating]. When the day comes that I can't launch or retrieve pain free is gonna be a sad day. 

I agree with your comment about the drugs. My original subscription was 2 per day. I took the first one and man what a ride. I cut the pills in half and took only before going to bed. Then switched to either Tylenol or Ibuprofen during the day. Don't wanna see anybody making the news.

I'm 48 y/o, never been under anesthesia, and I have to have my upper (only) wisdom teeth removed on Friday the 24th.  I read 1 on 350k expire right there in the chair, so it's been nice knowing you guys!  I don't like this stuff (or this thread)!

Better than the way they took my wisdom teeth in the service. 

My USN dentist was terrific. So were my teeth back then.  Still drilling & filling.  :)

21 hours ago, SST said:

Long story short, my chiropractor warned me many times that it wouldn't take much to cause permanent damage and not recover. So, no more heavy lifting.  Since then, my back has gone out without any warning. Just stood up and BANG.

Same here.  2006, I was on one of our sites and I leaned down to pick up a tool box that weighed maybe 15lbs at most and the minute I straightened out, POP!  I was crippled!  I had no idea WTF had just happened.  I couldn't move.  Couldn't even pick up my right leg to walk.  It was the most debilitating thing ever.  My wife had to come pick me up in her car and my son drove my truck home.  I had to be practically carried from the area we were building to the driveway because I couldn't even walk.  Couldn't go up the stairs to the bedroom and couldn't even sit down and get my legs up and head on a pillow from the pain.  It really was unbelievable and here's the kicker: if you ever want to know if your significant other truly loves you, this would be the time because I was so crippled that I couldn't do my business on the toilet!  Since it requires you to somewhat twist your body and reach around...ahem....my wife had to help me with that and she didn't even care or complain once.  :D  Now that is TRUE love, even after 20+ years of marriage or whatever it was at the time.  God bless her but I hope I never have to return the favor lmfao!

22 hours ago, SST said:

I agree with your comment about the drugs. My original subscription was 2 per day. I took the first one and man what a ride. I cut the pills in half and took only before going to bed. Then switched to either Tylenol or Ibuprofen during the day. Don't wanna see anybody making the news.

Oh man, without those percosets, I would've suffered quite a bit after my tonsillectomy.  It was so painful and my throat was on fire for days after surgery that I had to take them exactly as prescribed which was 1 every 4 hours IIRC.  They definitely took the sting out and helped A LOT.   Took them until they ran out I think 3 days later but by then, throat was starting to heal a bit and I was able to eat without too much pain.  When I had a bad tooth pulled years ago, they gave me Vicodin (I think it was) but I didn't have any pain after that, just tenderness and I didn't even fill the prescription. 

When you have to deal with short periods of nasty pain like after surgery etc., you definitely need them and it shouldn't be a problem in that respect.  I think when you have chronic pain that lasts for long periods of time, that's probably not good to take painkillers for long stretches.

16 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I'm 48 y/o, never been under anesthesia, and I have to have my upper (only) wisdom teeth removed on Friday the 24th.  I read 1 on 350k expire right there in the chair, so it's been nice knowing you guys!  I don't like this stuff (or this thread)!

Hahaha, you'll be alright.  You won't even feel or remember a thing.  All you'll remember is being wheeled into the room, laid out on a bed and a couple of nurses talking to you and once they put the mask on you, maybe you last 8 seconds, if that, and then you're out like a light.  Next thing you know you're waking up and someone's coming in to check on you.  Nothing to it.

20 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

When I had a wisdom tooth removed it was with local anesthesia. Are yours deeply impacted? All they did was break it apart, pull it out, and sew up the gap. Whatever local pain killer they used worked fine.

1 hour ago, Toddavid said:

When I had a wisdom tooth removed it was with local anesthesia. Are yours deeply impacted? All they did was break it apart, pull it out, and sew up the gap. Whatever local pain killer they used worked fine.

Not impacted at all.  Just in the way

Well 3 1/2 weeks since the operation, all went well even though there was more to fix than the doc thought.  Another 3 weeks till I see him again, hope I can get out of the hard collar then. It is really hard looking out at the lake and not being able to go to the boat. We have had some really nice boating days. Maybe by the time I get out of the collar the lake will be down to a more normal level.

Hope you heal well.

A view is better than nothing . . . "If you are lucky enough to live on a lake, you are lucky enough"

Well here it is almost the 4th of July and I am going to be able to go to the boat in the next few days. I saw the doc on Wed. and I am out of the  hard collar and doing really well. It will be good to get to the boat and run it and start cleaning it up.  Maybe even get it out on the lake for a while. Will have to take it easy, but feel so much better than before.