Sign in to follow this  
wvwhiting@msn.com

250 signature trailer

I am looking for trailer advice.  I have a 08 signature and I am looking at a tandem axle Venture trailer vab8725 and I am not sure if the will meet the weight requirements.  I do not want to go to a triple axle.  Any and all advice appreciated.

On 5/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, wvwhiting@msn.com said:

I am looking for trailer advice.  I have a 08 signature and I am looking at a tandem axle Venture trailer vab8725 and I am not sure if the will meet the weight requirements.  I do not want to go to a triple axle.  Any and all advice appreciated.

Is the trailer actually a VATB-8725? If so, the GVWR is 10,085. A 2008 Signature 250 weighs around 7,000 pounds dry. Unless you heavily load it (full fuel, full water, all kinds of toys, etc.), while you’ll be close to maxing out, you’ll be under GVWR.

Recommend two options. (1) Brakes on both axles. Standard from Venture is one but your home state and any state you plan to trailer through might require both. (2) The electric over hydraulic brake option. 

Suggest keeping the big picture in mind. First, don’t max-out or exceed GVWR. Leave some safety margin. Second, you’ve got to stop all of that mass directly behind you and your family. Some knucklehead will cut you off and dynamite the brakes because an acorn rolled into the road. It’s inevitable. Consider these realities when deciding on options, which might total about a grand, not after a mishap or wreck.

He may not be looking for any more advice, but for what it's worth...

Our 2008 Sig 250 with an aluminum trailer weighs right at 10k pounds loaded with fuel, water, and gear for a trip.  I have a triple axle custom aluminum trailer.