Sign in to follow this  
BusterDouglas

Best Dual Battery setup

I need to replace both batteries in my 260 Signature.  I have lots of room and access so I was thinking of flooded.

I was initially looking at the Optima D34M Battery as I was looking batteries that would work with the PROTECH 4 charge controller wouldn't properly charge a starter battery and a deep cycle so i assumed it would be best to go with a dual purpose AGM or regular flooded.

I believe Wingnut used Interstate from past threads I read on here, but not much discussion on this.  I would prefer not to change out the charge controller at this time.

1 hour ago, BusterDouglas said:

so I was thinking of flooded.

I was initially looking at the Optima D34M Battery 

Optima are AGM. 

1 hour ago, BusterDouglas said:

he PROTECH 4 charge controller wouldn't properly charge a starter battery and a deep cycle

This does not make sense to me. If a charger can recharge a wet cell cranking, it can absolutely charger a wet cell deep-cycle. However, there are different charge profiles needed between a wet cell and larger AGM and most all Optima. Smaller AGM can be charged with the same profile as most wet cell. 

Hi Wylie,

Yes I know the optimas are AGM. But was I was told that these batteries need a constant charge. The problem I have understood from reading about this particular charger is that it will shut off as soon as 1 battery has reached full charge, so if i have drained down the house battery and the starting battery is fully charged, the charge controller cannot charge independently. which would kill an AGM within a few years.

I apologize if I am misinformed about this charge controller.

52 minutes ago, BusterDouglas said:

The problem I have understood from reading about this particular charger is that it will shut off as soon as 1 battery has reached full charge,

This type of operation will ruin any battery size, type or brand. Leaving a dead battery dead does two things. 1) leaves you with a dead battery next trip out and 2) shortens the life as it cannot ever recover to its full potential after sitting dead. 

54 minutes ago, BusterDouglas said:

Yes I know the optimas are AGM. But was I was told that these batteries need a constant charge.

No battery wants or needs a constant charge, regardless of type. Even those small 3A "trickle" chargers will eventually over charge a battery with its constant output. This is why we want to use a multi-stage smart charger. 

Sounds like the charger is the weak link, regardless of battery type.  

There is such a thing as Sulphation in Lead Acid batteries.  If they are not trickle charged AT THE CORRECT AMPERAGE. Any Lead Sulphation buildup after the charger stops is not good. A proven way to prevent Sulphation is a SMALL CONSTANT charging current. I use 5 to 10 milliamps. My generator 12 volt batteries are checked by connecting a battery charger to a battery. If the current drops to meter gauge of 0 amps in less than 30 seconds. No sulphation is taking place.

I designed my own trickle chargers of 5 to 10 milliamps.

Read several times. Hopefully buy only once.  Get lucky.   :)

I just (yesterday) installed a ProNautic 40 amp 3 bank charger in my 2004 31 Signature.  This was to replace a  xantrex similar 40 amp model that lasted

about 2 years due to fan failure.  So far I think the pronautic model is better. Has a digital readout which lets you know what’s going on with output levels which is nice and the installation went fairly well despite some measuring blunders on my part.  

I have 3 sealed acid batteries made by Remy about 2 years old I’m told.  Bought the pronautic on Overton s during their 30% off sale.   Paid around 320.00 for it.   

Good luck with your choices.  

On 5/19/2019 at 8:33 AM, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

This type of operation will ruin any battery size, type or brand. Leaving a dead battery dead does two things. 1) leaves you with a dead battery next trip out and 2) shortens the life as it cannot ever recover to its full potential after sitting dead. 

No battery wants or needs a constant charge, regardless of type. Even those small 3A "trickle" chargers will eventually over charge a battery with its constant output. This is why we want to use a multi-stage smart charger. 

Sounds like the charger is the weak link, regardless of battery type.  

Yep!! But i think you should call the manufacturer to be sure. Most multi battery/bank charges will charge each battery or bank accordingly.

21 minutes ago, Gumby said:

I just (yesterday) installed a ProNautic 40 amp 3 bank charger in my 2004 31 Signature.  This was to replace a  xantrex similar 40 amp model that lasted

about 2 years due to fan failure.  So far I think the pronautic model is better. Has a digital readout which lets you know what’s going on with output levels which is nice and the installation went fairly well despite some measuring blunders on my part.  

I have 3 sealed acid batteries made by Remy about 2 years old I’m told.  Bought the pronautic on Overton s during their 30% off sale.   Paid around 320.00 for it.   

Good luck with your choices.  

Very good charger. Like the digital read outs.