Sign in to follow this  
Cindi

To change or not to change Impeller

We bought a used 2016 246 SSI last summer.  We did not do an oil change last summer since it had already been done by previous owner.   We are taking boat in to Chapparel service department for oil change and check and they said we should change the impeller every year?   Is this true?   Also it is likely the original impeller is on the boat but boat only has 65 hours on it.   We have had zero issues with the boat. 

What is your opinion.... change the impeller or not? 

Thank you!

I change mine every year...cheap insurance.

Change it. Even if the boat is not used the impeller can take a set and move less water. 

Do it yourself. 

Either way change it. The impeller kits are usually around $50. Should take half an hour or so depending on engine model and installation. 

if you have a volvo - its a 30 min job StayCoolPumps Impeller Kit for 2006 and Newer Replaces Volvo Penta 21213664 Sierra 18-30778

if you have a merc -  image.jpeg.49ea74ca4e3ae31a177c449081e94173.jpeg limber up

Yep....all you Volvo guys saying how easy it is.  You should see my battle scars from pulling the pump on my Merc!

21 hours ago, delaney said:

if you have a volvo - its a 30 min job StayCoolPumps Impeller Kit for 2006 and Newer Replaces Volvo Penta 21213664 Sierra 18-30778

if you have a merc -  image.jpeg.49ea74ca4e3ae31a177c449081e94173.jpeg limber up

L-O-L!

Hey your 327SSX still looks GREAT, man!  That's one of the most beautifully designed boats I've ever seen.  It has the looks, the greatest -looking hardtop and that beefy, muscular look with bow seats and as big a cabin as possible which makes it have the best of both worlds.  And with a pair of 8.2 Volvos (or are they 8.1s?) in that monstrous behemoth that actually also has some great, streaming lines, it's the NASCAR equivalent of boats.  A great-looking crossover on steroids!!!! Is what it is.

@delaney, what's your opinion of the 347SSX?   

I don't change mine every year but I do remove mine during winter so that it does not spend six months all bent over. I pull mine and store in a plastic baggie with a little bit of glycerin to keep it from drying out.

20 hours ago, Chap243 said:

I don't change mine every year but I do remove mine during winter so that it does not spend six months all bent over. I pull mine and store in a plastic baggie with a little bit of glycerin to keep it from drying out.

Man, I just pulled mine out and I wish I didn't.  I was tempted to throw it right back in there!  Look at this thing, and I'm slipped in saltwater and I put about 100hrs per season on the boat.  Oh, not only that, I put this impeller in back in 2015 lmfao and the boat sat in storage for the winter of 2016 & 2017.  There's way too much hype about changing these things.  Same with the old one I pulled out before this one was in practically the same condition.  Maybe this is the result of flushing religiously I don't know, but I'm sure it helps and this new one is staying in when I pull off the housing and it looks like this?  It ain't coming out.

lgctQUX.jpg

CXjBiWj.jpg

I boat in shallow areas that have sand and mud. I change it annually as cheap insurance, and keep a spare on board. Why risk it?

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Man, I just pulled mine out and I wish I didn't.  I was tempted to throw it right back in there!  Look at this thing, and I'm slipped in saltwater and I put about 100hrs per season on the boat.  Oh, not only that, I put this impeller in back in 2015 lmfao and the boat sat in storage for the winter of 2016 & 2017.  There's way too much hype about changing these things.  Same with the old one I pulled out before this one was in practically the same condition.  Maybe this is the result of flushing religiously I don't know, but I'm sure it helps and this new one is staying in when I pull off the housing and it looks like this?  It ain't coming out.

lgctQUX.jpg

CXjBiWj.jpg

Every one I've pulled out looks great too.  I read in the Merc manual the other day (while looking for something else) that it's recommended every three years.  I'm not saying annually is a bad idea, but it gives you a frame of reference.

19 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Every one I've pulled out looks great too.  I read in the Merc manual the other day (while looking for something else) that it's recommended every three years.  I'm not saying annually is a bad idea, but it gives you a frame of reference.

Yeah that's what I'm doing from now on.  Unless there's an obvious overheating issue, but when they look like this every time, it doesn't make sense to change them even if they're relatively cheap.  Yeah they take a set but that's obviously gonna happen, but they're still putting good pressure on the housing walls and that's all that counts.  Temps stays consistent and water is always gushing out the outdrive so flow is not an issue whatsoever.  Another myth challenged! :D 

4 hours ago, Hatem said:

Yeah that's what I'm doing from now on.  Unless there's an obvious overheating issue, but when they look like this every time, it doesn't make sense to change them even if they're relatively cheap.  Yeah they take a set but that's obviously gonna happen, but they're still putting good pressure on the housing walls and that's all that counts.  Temps stays consistent and water is always gushing out the outdrive so flow is not an issue whatsoever.  Another myth challenged! :D 

Yeah, most of us here (who care enough to be on the forum) monitor things close enough that we should be able to detect the need to change the impeller before it self-destructs.  When we bought the boat, it was 6 years old and the impeller didn't look good, but it wasn't shedding rubber either.  I would guess it was over 3 years and maybe even original (no way to know for sure).  Again, not knocking changing it every couple years, and it is cheap enough, but it is certainly worth questioning.

You better! Here is mine from tuesday, Seized my pulley, ruined belt, cracked pulley,  etc. it was just under 2 years old. Since we boat all year, Ill have to change it by hour count not season. This came out of my Baja. Now granted i see 4000-5000 rpm a bunch. I had to order an entire new pump assembly, this time i bought a stainless steel unit. 

IMG_9269.jpg

When they go you have to pull all the pieces out of the cooling system and account for them. Here is whats left and our count for pieces. 

IMG_9271.jpg

at least change it this year since it might be three years old already. 

So I put the new impeller in and once I pushed it in all the way, something wasn't right and I can see the inlet and outlet in the housing itself but it didn't register for some strange reason!!!!!  Put the newly painted pulley on, tighten it, checked the tightening on all the other ones and looped the new belt and wracked the tensioner to slide the final section of belt on and hooked up hose into the flushport and said a quick prayer and cranked the engine.  Stood by the helm to watch the temperature and kept looking into the engine bay for leaks and everything was fine except I notice the temperature was rising unusually fast.  I'm so used to observing the temperature so I have a really good feel at how fast it rises and this time I could tell it was moving fast for some reason.  So I figured maybe it's just an anomaly and it'll stop at 158-160 but sure enough, it blasts past 160 and keeps going.  I figured ok, maybe the thermostat is a bit stuck and needs a bit more heat and eventually it'll pop open.  170, 175 , 178 and I shut her down.

I thought maybe the new impeller didn't get a chance to prime through the flushport for some reason (which never happened before) so I waited till engine cooled a little and hooked up my muffs to the outdrive and said a prayer and cranked her up again.  She was at 140 and climbed even faster this time since she was already hot and again, past 160 all the way to 178 before I shut her down.  Now I'm scratching my head and then it dawned on me that unusual visibility of the inlet and outlet on the housing.  I ran into the shop to grab the old impeller and right away I knew the new impeller was the wrong size!  It was about 1" less than the original one which fills the entire depth of the housing LOL!  So I took the bracket off, took the two hoses off and unscrewed all 4 screws and I see that stupid, tiny little impeller all the way in the housing lmfao!  I pulled the biiitch out, put the old one in and put everything back together and started her up and temp went up to 160 and then dropped to 158.  Mother #%&*%^.  I'll be going back to Power Products and have a little chat with that new fella who gave me the wrong size impeller.  Meanwhile, the old one is actually staying in there since it's perfectly fine.  What a silly mishap.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, Hatem said:

L-O-L!

Hey your 327SSX still looks GREAT, man!  That's one of the most beautifully designed boats I've ever seen.  It has the looks, the greatest -looking hardtop and that beefy, muscular look with bow seats and as big a cabin as possible which makes it have the best of both worlds.  And with a pair of 8.2 Volvos (or are they 8.1s?) in that monstrous behemoth that actually also has some great, streaming lines, it's the NASCAR equivalent of boats.  A great-looking crossover on steroids!!!! Is what it is.

@delaney, what's your opinion of the 347SSX?   

from the pics on the 347 - it certainly looks like a tweaked or updated version of the 327.  bascially the same hull they keep refining what overall length is but changes in the dash i do like as i consider myself a gadget guy.  seating layout is exactly the same.  although i prefer how my back facing seat turns into a complete sun pad and stretches all the way, or my wife likes that.  i do like the switch location, i mentioned that day one i bought mine.  having it only on the dash seems weird.  love the retractable sun screen but the main hardtop is so big its almost not needed, plenty of shade on mine.  other comments on what Chap should do to this line.  

1. make the helm seat a double bolster

2. have the cooler under the port front seat on a glider so full coolers can be easily accessed by kids - coolers can get heavy and we end up always just removing it

3. not sure i like the removal of the stern port side storage locker.  i keep a stern anchor in there and 2 sets of snorkel gear.  not a big deal on the snorkel gear but the stern anchor location is perfect on mine.  the swim platform storage locker is a huge waste - never used it for anything other than a frisbee.  it just collects scum that needs to be cleaned  dual ladders would be better

4. i expected the newer models to start integrating the bow anchor into the bow plate like the competitors do and not just a bolt on like they currently have - nothing wrong with it but i think it looks better the way Cobalt does it

5. i think a pull out frig is better than the door type.  this boat is really not a cruiser and when you drive it you want to drive it like its a 24' ski boat.  cans move around too much - a drawer type would be better

thanks for the complement on the boat, like most of us on this forum i probably spend more time cleaning than is healthy 

I do mine every 2-3 yrs.  And it sure is a PITA!!!  But I don't boat in shallow, sandy waters

3 hours ago, delaney said:

the swim platform storage locker is a huge waste - never used it for anything other than a frisbee.  it just collects scum that needs to be cleaned  dual ladders would be better

Isn’t that hold technically supposed to be a cooler?

I keep my tow ropes and a stern anchor (wrapped in a rubber sheet) in there. Definitely gets scummy, though.

Never too late to cause trouble on a P M routine. 

I have NEVER had a rubber pump impellor fail in normal use. That includes 6 months of winter storage. I have had OBs & inboards over 10 years old & not had a impellor fail to keep the engine cool............. 1 did fail when I backed into sandy muck.  It STILL kept the engine cool at 10 years old. But I chickened out.  Pump had sand grooves.  Complete pump job.

Fear sells a lot more than is needed.

Lets change Chaps every year or 100 hours ?

Every three years, for me. No need to do it every year unless you put on 200-300 hrs. IMO

If I was the replace this one with another (used one), I would change the impeller first time it lands in the drive.

23 hours ago, delaney said:

from the pics on the 347 - it certainly looks like a tweaked or updated version of the 327.  bascially the same hull they keep refining what overall length is but changes in the dash i do like as i consider myself a gadget guy. 

Yep, for sure.  The length has always been 33'.6" and they just can't make up their bloody mind as to what is the exact LOA lol.  I don't think the hull or swim platform has changed whatsoever since I'm assuming it's the same exact mold they're been using since that model came out in what, 2011?  Funny thing and somewhat regretful is that the 2014 277SSX was the first boat I looked at at the dealer's showroom and believe it or not, the size was intimidating a bit.  Then we thought what the heck, it's only a boat and even though we were newbies, we though we could learn carefully with the right guidance.  Then we looked around a bit more to be sure we saw everything that we liked and find the right combo and then we saw the 327 and I was actually going to buy.  It was a red, 2012 with twin 8.1Ls like yours (no joystick either) and it was in GREAT condition.  But I must admit, I was apprehensive at its size and girth and also twins.  Being a newbie, all the whispering in my ears told me it was not the right boat to start with and I wish I didn't listen to them and bought it.  Not that I'm unhappy with the 276, I still think we made a great choice and very happy with it because it's manageable for how we move it around etc. and the room we have in the driveway and trailering etc. So it worked out in the end.

The new helms on all the new Chaps are outstanding with the new touch buttons and the dual screen.  Definitely a solid improvement in design and ergonomics on all the models with it, especially the 347SSX.

2019_347_SSX_11.jpg 

And the bow looks considerably sharper to me.  Or is it the same?

Chaparral347SSXkupitvNSM3.jpg

4. i expected the newer models to start integrating the bow anchor into the bow plate like the competitors do and not just a bolt on like they currently have - nothing wrong with it but i think it looks better the way Cobalt does it

You mean like what yours truly did with the 276?

DEYiGDo.jpg

AhviW0x.jpg

This is how most Cobalts I have seen have their windlass anchors installed.  But I did it this much harder way for the looks and to keep the bow ladder which works out great.  If Chaparral starts doing this in any of their new models, we're going to have to have a talk about roylaties and special treatment.  Maybe even naming I the HATMAN windlass system?  If they've never done this where you only had the option of either a windlass or a bow ladder and suddenly some clown from Boston comes out of nowhere and revolutonalizes this feature to get the best of both worlds and next thing you know the manufacturer is doing the same thing, we need so serious compensation.  Wouldn't you agree?  @Rip5 you'll have to keep an eye out for us, bro.  :D 

thanks for the complement on the boat, like most of us on this forum i probably spend more time cleaning than is healthy 

Yeah man, gotta tell it like it is.  Wish we would hear from more 327ssx owners and particularly new 347ssx owners to give us the lowdown, and even 307s like Curt.  We're not hearing much from these bigger boat buyers for some reason. 

But this 347SSX is just perfect for guys like myself who must have bow seating area since those are very important to our boating style more so than cuddies or full cabins and the fact that you get a full beam semi-cabin in the 327/337/347 is a priceless plus IMO.  They should get an aft berth in there too, why not?  If the Signature 250 like @TexasPilot71's has an aft berth, why not this thing?  And this boat has some beautiful lines, especially the sharp bow!  I could use one to go along with my Azimut 47/50 Flybridge. Now there is a killer combination.  :D 

The only thing that bothers me a tiny bit but certainly isn't a deal breaker is that because they added the sunroof as well as the sure-shade option which are both great features to have, the classic Chaparral hardtop design has taken a slight change in shape to accommodate those features and doesn't look as perfectly great as the original, but it's still superb. 

6515035_20171104124552931_1_XLARGE.jpg?w

Look at that planing LOL!  And you can see the slight variation in the top at the forward end how it angles upward.

01-ssx-337-run-04-18.jpg

On 5/21/2019 at 11:06 AM, TexasPilot71 said:

Yep....all you Volvo guys saying how easy it is.  You should see my battle scars from pulling the pump on my Merc!

Exactly, one of the worst jobs there is on a Merc.  4 hours if your lucky.

You must have twins. I can R&R mine in less than an hour. 

It's a blind job but once you've done it a few times you know what to expect.