Sign in to follow this  
blay127

Suncoast Storage Drains

I'm just breaking in my new 2019 230 Suncoast, and while I really love it so far, it does seem to have a problem with holding water in the under seat storage compartments. Was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this as well? 

The anchor storage, under both bow seats, and under all the main cabin seating hold water and will not drain. There are no drain holes present. If there were then they must have been covered up with sealant, paint, etc. 

I've looked to see if I can make holes, but I just wanted to check with anyone with experience first. I will also put in a call to Chaparral to see what they recommend. 

Thanks yall!

You have a FACTORY   and dealer reject boat......... Call the dealer & Chaparral directly. DO NOT TOUH THOSE AREAS..            They should have to pull the boat apart to repair it.  Request a different NEW BOAT. You will not have a boat to use in the mean time.

have been playing phone tag with the factory. will keep trying.... 

factory reject boat? that a real thing? 

Would anyone be able to post some pictures of how the drains should look inside these compartments so i can compare with what i have?

5 hours ago, SuncoastCanal said:

Call your dealer.  Something is wrong.

Do yours have drains in them?  Is it possible they actually forgot to drill and install drains on the OP's boat?  

It's not exactly a conventional anchor locker like most boats and sounds like a stowaway storage for the anchor so maybe there wasn't meant to be drains in them?  

1 hour ago, blay127 said:

have been playing phone tag with the factory. will keep trying.... 

factory reject boat? that a real thing? 

Would anyone be able to post some pictures of how the drains should look inside these compartments so i can compare with what i have?

If, if you reach someone, Chaparral will almost certainly send you back to the dealer. Save time and frustration, call the dealer. It’s brand new.

You don’t have a “reject boat”.

I am working with the dealer as well. i'm just trying to attack on both fronts to hopefully get some answers/solutions. I want to make sure where the drains are supposed to be before anyone touches it. Thanks everyone for the help. Again if anyone could show me where they are in their boats i would greatly appreciate it!

15 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Go poke around on a similar boat at the dealership. 

Winner.

REMIND THE DEALER TO refund you $120  of the Dealer prep charge.  Any long enough moisture in those spaces may start a mold condition.  If Black Mold starts ?  It is a tough mold to completely remove.

To head off the Black Mold I would dry out any wet spaces. Keep them dry until Chap does a repair.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:02 PM, blay127 said:

I am working with the dealer as well. i'm just trying to attack on both fronts to hopefully get some answers/solutions. I want to make sure where the drains are supposed to be before anyone touches it. Thanks everyone for the help. Again if anyone could show me where they are in their boats i would greatly appreciate it!

I'm looking at a brand new 2019 250 Suncoast Delux and there are no signs whatsoever of any forward thru-hull drains of any kind, be it a circular or the typical, stainless steel clamshell anchor locker storage drain that a lot of Chaps have and this one does have an anchor & ladder locker in the bow which should have a drain for sure, but no signs that it drains directly out and probably goes to the bilge, if there is one. 

2019-Chaparral-230%20SunCoast-Destin%20%20FL-N41498-2.JPG

Looking at the bow ladder and anchor locker, there should be a drain of some sorts since there's clearly clips for a fluke style anchor to clip into.

2019-Chaparral-230%20SunCoast-Destin%20%20FL-N41498-21.JPG

There's a couple of thru-hulls here which I'm assuming are most likely the cockpit self draining and rear cooler/storage compartments.

2019-Chaparral-230%20SunCoast-Destin%20%20FL-N41498-4.JPG

There's your 2 floor drains for the cockpit self drains that probably drain out the center thru-hull.

2019-Chaparral-230%20SunCoast-Destin%20%20FL-N41498-8.JPG

Not sure if that hose running through the starboard cockpit seat is for those floor drains and lead out to that thru-hull, but it does look like it.  Now those under-seat storage areas probably drain to that other, smaller rear thru-hull in the 2nd picture.

2019-Chaparral-230%20SunCoast-Destin%20%20FL-N41498-10.JPG

This livewell or whatever it is under the cockpit corner seat also has a drain that is classically positioned just a bit high enough so it will never completely drain as is evident in the remaining rain water in the photo.  But this probably drains out that rear and smaller thru-hull on starboard.

2019-Chaparral-230%20SunCoast-Destin%20%20FL-N41498-12.JPG

And hard to tell if the forward under-seat storage areas have any drainage by looking at this pic, but I bet they do and either drain to the bilge (if you have one) or out the cockpit self draining.  Although I could've sworn someone else with a Suncoast complained about the same exact thing last spring.

2019-Chaparral-230%20SunCoast-Destin%20%20FL-N41498-20.JPG

No water should be getting into those storage lockers unless you leave the seat off. There are gutters molded into the top fiberglass flange, any water that gets under the seat base flows into this gutter and out into the inner liner, then to the drains in the floor.

Thanks guys. I've got the dealer and the factory looking for a solution. I will keep this thread posted once we do. 

1 hour ago, Swatt said:

No water should be getting into those storage lockers unless you leave the seat off. There are gutters molded into the top fiberglass flange, any water that gets under the seat base flows into this gutter and out into the inner liner, then to the drains in the floor.

Hey Swatt, yes i agree thats what the "gutters" are for but nevertheless water still gets into the lockers. 

14 hours ago, blay127 said:

Thanks guys. I've got the dealer and the factory looking for a solution. I will keep this thread posted once we do. 

Do you stow your anchor in that bow, anchor locker under the ladder on yours?  The reason I ask is if you do (in those pics I posted of that Deluxe model it looks like there are clips to hold down a fluke-style anchor) and it's very strange how there is no clamshell cover over a drain hole on the outside of the front hull to drain the excess water on the anchor and rode.  If it were me, I would drill a hole right out the bottom of that locker and out of portside and put a clamshell on it BUT, the Suncoast bow and V is different than the SSX or other lines and that might be the reason why they don't do it.  So that would be a question I would ask the factory if you get someone, or the dealer.

21 hours ago, blay127 said:

Hey Swatt, yes i agree thats what the "gutters" are for but nevertheless water still gets into the lockers. 

I have a 2016 Suncoast and I can assure you that water will get inside the under seat storage compartments.  This is especially true if you typically hose down the interior after use.  The gutters around the seat openings do an ok job keeping some water out (from a wet bathing suit, etc.) but a heavy blast of water will quickly overflow the gutter and drip into the compartment.  Another culprit is the drink holders.  Each have a drain nipple in the bottom that drains directly into the compartment below.  Other Chap models had tubing connected to the drink holders and routed back to the bilge.  See attached.

As for the anchor locker, on the 230 it drains back to the bilge.  Curiously, on the SC 250 it drains directly overboard by way of a clamshell vent.  This can be seen on the grey boat shown above in Hatem's post.  As a result, rain water enters through the anchor locker and makes it's way down to the bilge.  I can confirm this as my bilge filled with water while it was covered and on the trailer in my driveway.  If your anchor locker doesn't drain at all it might actually be to your benefit.  The solution then would be to add the clamshell drain similar to the 250.

Overall I'm very happy with the boat.  The two driest storage areas are the head compartment and under the helm so I use them for things I want to keep dry..  I'd be interested what your dealer and the factory come back with.  Good luck.

Pages from 244.jpg

23 hours ago, blay127 said:

Those channels do help, but are really designed to only be effective when the boat is on the level. Any bow up, bow down, left or right lean and water can easily find its way into the storage compartment below.

6 hours ago, TandemGuy said:

As for the anchor locker, on the 230 it drains back to the bilge.  Curiously, on the SC 250 it drains directly overboard by way of a clamshell vent.  This can be seen on the grey boat shown above in Hatem's post. 

Great observation by you!  Aside from the fact that I didn't even notice that, the curiousness of the grey 230 having a drain hole and a clamshell cover over it and the Deluxe 250 not having one makes you really wonder why?  If the 230 is a smaller boat by 2ft anyway, it would kinda make you think that because the hull is smaller, that boat would sit lower in the water than the 250, hence more of chance the bow sinking into a wave or chop and water coming in through that hole.  Really strange but good spot by you.

6 hours ago, TandemGuy said:

As a result, rain water enters through the anchor locker and makes it's way down to the bilge.  I can confirm this as my bilge filled with water while it was covered and on the trailer in my driveway.  If your anchor locker doesn't drain at all it might actually be to your benefit.

That's another good point.  Better have the water accumulate in the anchor locker than just keep draining into the bilge.  Totally agree.

7 hours ago, TandemGuy said:

The solution then would be to add the clamshell drain similar to the 250.

And that was why I was a bit cautious when I suggested that in my post, that there might be a reason because of the way the boat sits in the water that having a hole there -- even with a clamshell -- might bring in more water into the locker.  But then again, that defies the logic of them putting it on the 230!?  lol.

7 hours ago, TandemGuy said:

Pages from 244.jpg

Interesting that you posted this image because I just had to fix that wire net for my stainless steel transom shower hose that it's supposed to collect and contain.  The bottom and the top of the net are secured with zip ties and both of them came apart and my hose would just flop around in the corner right by the automatic fire extinguisher and was making a mess of the place.  Now it's all zipped up with new ties and the hose cleaned and it's just another reminder that there are so many little things and systems on these boats that you have to constantly be aware of and check and stay on top of and maintain.  I did a lot of that kind of thing this year.  Welcome to the forum, BTW. 

My 2018 Suncoast 250 has a drain hole in the corner of the storage area under each side of the bow.  The drain hole is about a half inch in diameter and appears to drain to the bilge.  I’ll take a photo and post it.

To all boaters with NO dedicated anchor or bow storage drains...........Or worse...... No drains under the bow seat cushion areas.  NO  NO standing water is EVER  EVER allowed to build up !!!!!!!!!    That is pure BLACK MOLD INVITATION !!!!!!!!     No amount of corporate  increase the profits logic.  Will change puddles of standing water.

Look for a 4' long straw in a storage locker.  It is for the anal boater who cares about his boat................... No excuse except pure greed would ever approve no drains.

7 hours ago, SuncoastCanal said:

My 2018 Suncoast 250 has a drain hole in the corner of the storage area under each side of the bow.  The drain hole is about a half inch in diameter and appears to drain to the bilge.  I’ll take a photo and post it.

Please do. Thank you.

Thanks SuncoastCanal. Mine sure do not look like that. 

I was sent these schematics from Chaparral customer service. On my boat I see where these would be but they sure enough are covered up with paint/resin/debris. Should be safe for the dealer to open them up except for the ones in the main cabin that are very close to the fuel tank. 

water_mgmt1.jpg

water_mgmt2.jpg

Definitely take it back to the dealer and have him do it. While not a critical component it still needs to be done properly.

9 hours ago, blay127 said:

I was sent these schematics from Chaparral customer service. On my boat I see where these would be but they sure enough are covered up with paint/resin/debris. Should be safe for the dealer to open them up except for the ones in the main cabin that are very close to the fuel tank. 

Those schematics still don't answer why you don't have drains in your bow under-seat storage or the anchor locker.  These are all standard drain passages for the bulkheads and stringers and the keel gutter that you probably can't even see.  Maybe your ski locker might show the holes in it, but what about the seats and anchor locker?  I would try them again and tell them those schematics are no good and really don't answer your questions and where the heII are my seat storage and anchor locker drains.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:52 PM, SuncoastCanal said:

Here are two photos of the drain holes in my bow storage.  One with the mat in place and with the mat pulled back.

0D30F223-49D8-4ADA-BC17-C7F92CFE87C6.jpeg

EA718BA1-421F-4358-B4C6-97C2386E5D80.jpeg

Such lazy workmanship from the factory.  Not a very smooth draining surface into the hole from that pile of gelcoat just left to dry like that.  If I were you, I would take a utility knife with a sharp razor blade in it and get in there and cut out all that excess matting strands that they just left to dry in the middle of the hole.  That's almost like a screen, slowing down water flow.  If it's too deep, take a hacksaw blade by itslef and just use that around the inner edge of the hole to cut out those strands and try pulling them out so they don't go any further in and clog more drains.  Not the first time we've seen this kinda thing, BTW.

How much water flow can be expected to pass through that tiny hole? It's not like it's expected to drain the locker when taking water over the bow....