Sign in to follow this  
Fathog02

Handheld VHF radio

Hi all!   I recently purchased my first big boat Chaparral 227, and plan to use mostly on the intercostal in SC,   Would a handheld VHF radio be  beneficial ? 

Thanks, Dave! 

Yes at a minimum. You'll be much happier with a permanent unit with a good antenna though.

You should have a handheld VHF as a minimum. It’s an important safety device. 

4 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Yes at a minimum. You'll be much happier with a permanent unit with a good antenna though.

Yep!

Fully test & operate the unit AT THE STORE.  Good luck with a defective unit bought on the web sites.

Do not let anyone try to B S you about NOT TESTING a unit.  I do it every year with the local US Coast guard.  You will not go to jail. Or be fined $ 600, million dollars.

I say...…………….. This is NOT  NOT a emergency !!!!!! It is  a range test of a new VHF unit. I need the USCG station at Alexander Bay to answer me. Over."...………… Sometimes they are not able to answer right away. Do not panic. Call again a few minutes later. I do the range check ………….EVERY SPRING !!!!!!!!!!………….What good is a dead radio ? 

Some one will  post .   "   You should NEVER call the US CG unless it is a EMERGENCY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Use any other channel !!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUUUHHH   If your radio does not work on the Coast Guard channel ?   Is anyone else going to help you as fast  ?

Call the USCG every spring. Save yourself & passengers.

I have been on a couple of ………….I sure wish we had a VHF radio.

Buddy gets a new 18 aluminum fishing boat for shallow bays .  Has 2    O Bs.  Big & a smaller.  Big one dies . Coming home little one starts and dies. Very early in the season. no traffic. Screwed but good. A cruiser is coming.  We are waving our orange & black flag. He motors right by us about 200' away. We are stunned as he continues down river.  about 1/2 mile away he comes back t give use a tow of about 2 miles to near our dock...…………..If that OLD FART did not have his son with him ?  Not good.  His son saved our bacon.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:13 PM, Fathog02 said:

Hi all!   I recently purchased my first big boat Chaparral 227, and plan to use mostly on the intercostal in SC,   Would a handheld VHF radio be  beneficial ? 

Thanks, Dave! 

I have a hand-held AND a permanently installed radio which to be erfectly honest, works MUCH better than the handheld.  The latter is more like a back up or if God forbid we capsize or sink, I can grab it at the last second and have some way to communicate while floating out in the middle of the ocean.

Handheld is always at my reach.

1ddyF0K.jpg

And permanent radio I installed 4 years go and works great.  Can also listen to much of what's going on at a good distance because of the 8ft Shakespeare antenna I hooked up to it.

3EieBQk.jpg

I keep the hand held in a tough freezer bag.  It is fully charged & in my zippered up life vest pocket. I can speak loudly enough thru the freezer bag to the USCG woman who checked it out for range.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

I have a hand-held AND a permanently installed radio which to be erfectly honest, works MUCH better than the handheld.  The latter is more like a back up or if God forbid we capsize or sink, I can grab it at the last second and have some way to communicate while floating out in the middle of the ocean.

Handheld is always at my reach.

And permanent radio I installed 4 years go and works great.  Can also listen to much of what's going on at a good distance because of the 8ft Shakespeare antenna I hooked up to it.

3EieBQk.jpg

Did you install the radio yourself? If so, how did you access the panel behind the radio? Do you remove the fuse panel board in the small storage area?

I`ve wrestling with buying one for years. So far I have not. I don't even know if Ch16 is monitored by anyone on our lake. We have no Sea Tow or Boat Us to call. Perhaps DNR monitors it, but I am not sure and I know that they would not tow us in if needed.

A couple times a year we travel to larger lakes such as Dale Hollow or Cumberland in KY. I know they have monitored tow services, it might be a good thing to have for those lakes.

1 hour ago, Dgiles said:

Did you install the radio yourself? If so, how did you access the panel behind the radio? Do you remove the fuse panel board in the small storage area?

Is that radio upside down??

44 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Is that radio upside down??

That's what I was going to ask!  :captain:

I am sure there's a good explanation.  I'm dying to know, though.  I do know the stickers on how to upright a jetski are upside down....for obvious reasons.  Hope this isn't the same reason!  LOL!

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, cyclops2 said:

He just did a test fitting.    :funny-7327:

:clapsmiley:The only one who figured it out!

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

That's what I was going to ask!  :captain:

I am sure there's a good explanation.  I'm dying to know, though.  I do know the stickers on how to upright a jetski are upside down....for obvious reasons.  Hope this isn't the same reason!  LOL!

Just dry fitting it and happen to take the pic while I had it in that way. 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:50 PM, Dgiles said:

I did.  I've posted the process a couple of times on this forum in different threads but I'll do it again for you at the risk of getting a few members bent out of shape when they see the same pics and process posted again lol.  I don't mind doing it.  I would redirect you to the exact thread and page but I have no idea where it was.  I think one was on the Modifications thread which is full of great stuff if you ever have time to sift through it.  I know it's in there but yes, I measured many times, looked behind for clearances and out front for comfortable access and made sure it didn't get in the way of the throttle etc.  Once the location was decided, I cut it out (1/4" very dense fiberglass) and then access to the wires was right there.  Luckily for me, the factory had already marked the wires (VHF) so I didn't need to search for them although that wouldn't have been too difficult either, just a bit more time consuming and then once the antenna was hooked up, ran the wire from that straight to the radio and it was up and running.  Then you have to register your radio's MMSI number with the USCG. https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/Home

vPLG2jm.jpg

R0crC15.jpg

Y0zu8wm.jpg

l6h6gJy.jpg

All hooked up with the location of the microphone.

36V8UjJ.jpg

You have just saved 43 DIY guys a bunch of    "  Oh shugger !!!  "    

Your handheld does you no good if you grab it off the dash and go into the water with it in your hand. Build yourself a waterproof ditch bag. 

On the first run of the season I ask for a radio check. Here in the Great Lakes safe boating is a priority.  Our Channel 16 is monitored by the US CoastGuardAlpena and local law enforcement as well. 

It is so sad all people do not think of the Great lakes a TRUE fresh water oceans .  That includes Rouge waves.

11 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

You have just saved 43 DIY guys a bunch of    "  Oh shugger !!!  "    

Notice my RPM is @ 2000?  This was 4 years ago when I installed that radio and I never noticed that until this past Saturday when I buddy of mine came to visit and I was showing him the inside of the boat and he said "you have a short somewhere because your RPM needle is stuck at 2000" and I was like WTF!?  I unplugged the shore power and nothing.  After running the engine for a while to check the impeller and reconnected drive and throttle etc., I shut her down and first thing I look at the RPM gauge and it drops to 0 for about 5 seconds and back up to 2000.  Weird and even weirder that I never noticed that it's been like that for a while now as evidenced by that one pic.

That shouldn't be on 2000 when engine is off and even if any of the batteries are on, which I can't remember if they were during that radio install.  Maybe the house was on for the radio but that was about it.  Anyone else have that as normal?

18 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Your handheld does you no good if you grab it off the dash and go into the water with it in your hand. Build yourself a waterproof ditch bag. 

Agree with the ditch bag, but I wouldn't say it does NO good.  I believe they all float and are waterproof, right?  I certainly may be wrong.