Sign in to follow this  
Caribedude2

Anything special needed when running AC at dock connected to shore power ?

First time using AC.  It is running.  Not sure if there is anything special needed to let it run for a few days and not flood the boat?

Nope. Just make sure the seacock is open and the sea strainer is clean.  If you need to clean the sea strainer CLOSE the seacock.

sump pump must be turned on to handle condensation. 

I had a little water diverter I hung over the side so that my neighbor would not have to hear my condenser discharge water running overboard all night. I put a 17,000 BTU split system in my 30' Sundancer, which located the compressor in the engine space and had 2 zones evaporators. Whisper quiet, and you could store meat in the aft cabin.  W

Check ANY air filters for mold or dust build up from pollen. find out if there is even a filter in place.  Some DIY people just toss filters & never replace them.  Saves a lot of money ?

Thanks for all the feedback.  Even with a new pump last year it is blowing hot air.  No water spitting out since nothing it condensating.  My AC guy said I had plenty of Freon a year ago and it blew cold six months ago when I last ran it.   Weird

1 hour ago, Caribedude2 said:

No water spitting out since nothing it condensating.  

WHOA!  If you don't have a steady stream water coming out a through hull, you have a huge problem and you will not blow cold air!.  The sump pump is what rids the bilge of any condensation.  It will only run periodically when the sump is full to vacate the water through another through hull until it condensates full again.

Make sure your seacock is open. You should be spitting water.

So, thanks for all the tips again.  I turned the temp up and down and flipped on the sump pump in the head area and she is blowing ice cold and discharging water.   All is good

Does the water pressure need to be ON?  It does not seem to effect the AC.  I have tried it both ways and it is cold either way.  

The water used by the AC comes from the lake. Not your fresh water tank.

4 hours ago, Caribedude2 said:

Does the water pressure need to be ON?  It does not seem to effect the AC.  I have tried it both ways and it is cold either way.  

There is a pump under your cabin steps.  This pump draws seawater from a through-hull beneath the boat and runs that water through the condenser then out the side of the boat through another through-hull.  This is akin (but much more efficient) to your household air conditioner fan blowing air across the coils.  When the thermostat isn't calling for cool air (if in a/c mode), the pump does not run and therefore you have no water exiting the boat.  So, as Phillbo said, this system has nothing to do with your on board water system.  The below diagram gives you a basic understanding.

AC-Layout.gif

Thanks Texas.  Very helpful.  I think that seawater pump is a Marche Pump that was replaced a year ago.   I am not sure why it didn’t work for day and then kicked in but I guess I won’t worry about it.  Blowing ice cold now 

On 5/26/2019 at 9:11 AM, Caribedude2 said:

Thanks Texas.  Very helpful.  I think that seawater pump is a Marche Pump that was replaced a year ago.   I am not sure why it didn’t work for day and then kicked in but I guess I won’t worry about it.  Blowing ice cold now 

Glad to hear.  Enjoy your season!