Stretch79

pro's and con's of uncovered slip

My local marina only has uncovered slips available right now, but will put me on the wait list.  I've always kept my boats in dry storage so new to boat slips.  What are the pro's and con's of putting my boat in an uncovered slip until the covered slip is available?  We have the mooring cover but never have used it.  Thoughts?

I can't think of any advantages of uncovered vs. covered.  Cheaper, certainly.  Maybe if it snowed a lot the roof wouldn't collapse.  :rolleyes:

Snow collapse can be a real problem however I am guessing you are a trailer boater and you will pull your boat during the winter months. Keep your cockpit cover on while you wait for the covered slip to become available.  There is a better boating social scene with a covered slip.

The summer sun can be murder on a boat, even if you have a good quality cover. It would probably cut the life of the cover in half and obviously fade any exposed gelcoat. But having a boat in any slip covered or not sure beats the drama at the boat ramp. I’d maybe consider it for a summer and keep my name on the waiting list with fingers crossed.

Covered slips DO have bird crap dropping on your covers.  Insects. Spiders.     Some covered slips are great if the sun path is blocked a lot.

There are a lot of things to ask other boaters about the covered slips before signing.

Our snakes take care of the birds.  We watched a snake get evicted from an anchor locker a couple of weeks ago, apparently the snake was sleeping off a big meal.

I don't believe nay of the marinas up around here have covered slips except for small boats (20').  The downside is that the sun is always beating down on the boat, so anything that can get UV damages will need protecting.  And you need to make sure everything is zipped up as the rains will find their way into your boat too. We have camper canvas that stays up all year.  I am guessing that 5 year life span on esien glass and maybe longer with proper treatment.  Bird droppings can be an issue, maybe less with open slip as there isn't any where for birds to sit except right on the boat.  I don't know, other than cost, or availability, uncovered slips have little or no advantage.  Just my opinion.

They do get even.

I am cleaning off the spider poop on the uncovered boat. Seagull starts circling  overhead and squaking.. So I start waving at him.  cleaning again.  SPLAT SPLAT. what was that? 

The gull is circling above me laughing.

2 days later. same story...………….. 4 days later I see him floating face down.

I have had a uncovered slip since my first season in 2010.  No doubt about the exposure is worse being uncovered.  I bought new and struggled putting it in a fresh water wet, uncovered slip.  What I have found out is as long as you are willing to put in the work in each off season to keep it up, the effects are greatly minimized.  Only use bow and cockpit covers.

I use Overton’s hull cleaner on the bottom.  Then  collinite cleaner followed by their wax over the entire boat, hull included.  My bottom is not painted.  I treat the covers every other year with 303 fabric guard. Still haven’t had to touch the outdrive yet but probably will down the road.  Clean the vinyl with Spray Nine and then treat with 303 vinyl.  Pleasantly surprised how well the boat has held up.  It takes work but it is possible to keep it nice.  I do keep in my garage in the off season.  I think that has helped out tremendously as well. 

Would it be nice to have a covered slip?  You bet.  But if it’s uncovered for part of a season you will fine.  

Thanks for the thoughts, we're gonna rent one for the 3 day weekend at $15 a day and give it a test run to see how we like not having to deal with the idiots at the ramp each time.  I have a feeling the wife will be on board once she realizes how convenient it is.  I was just worried about the texas sun beating down on it 24/7 but hopefully a covered slip will open up soon.

23 minutes ago, Stretch79 said:

I was just worried about the texas sun beating down on it 24/7 

The sun never sets in Texas ? 

The convenience of a slip isn’t debatable, imo.  Now the work on the boat in the off season to keep it nice, definitely is! Lol 

You'll love not having to retrieve it at the end of the day. Does trailer storage come with the slip? 

$15.00 a day for a transient slip is a good deal. I pay $58.00.

Depending on where you boat makes bottom cleaning iffy. In my river we get a very thin hair like green strands..  End of season with just water removes it. 1 or 2 MPH gain / loss. I like a boat ready to go any time I want to run.  Can not take the delays of racks or launching anymore.   :thththsoapbox2-1:

There is one covered "marina" along the Niagara River and I've considered it over the past couple of years. I wasn't  really impressed with it. But I wanted to keep the hull out of the water. But the space between one set of docks and the other set was really tight. I wasn't sure I would be able to do it. Plus, after reading many posts about spider droppings I elected not to pursue it.  

The previous marina I was at, there were lots of little birds flying around. Sometimes they'd stand on my bow railings or usually the dock lines. Always dropping JDAMS all over the boat. I'd always have to wash the boat. While it was annoying it didn't bother me nearly as much as the geese and ducks on my swim platform.

As for spiders, they got into the boat. I didn't really have to deal with droppings as much as the crisscrossing webs.  I bought some severe spider killer and that seemed to keep them in control for a while.

The new slip [uncovered] at the outer harbor is really nice. People are nice and spiders don't seem to be a big problem. Ducks and geese seem to be in control so no hopping on my swim platform last year......hopefully the some this year.  

As for which is better?  Probably depends on what climate you live in. The further south you go, the more desirable the covered slip becomes.   

We live on our boat during the weekends, spiders are under control when they show themselves, when not on the hook or bad weather, we enjoy the company of our dock mates.

I use a Harbor Fright electronic bug zapper. It is shaped just like a tennis racket. 1 hour after sun down the guys come out of hiding.  ZAPP  Very satisfying with no poisons to transfer to humans or pets. The spiders ALL walk the plank.     :mandancing:

I am on a lot of boats in the summer helping a canvas guy. And it makes me sick to see what Mother Nature does to some once beautiful boats.

My hat goes off to all you guys that spend hours keeping your pride and joy looking good. 

It is a never ending battle, and the sad part of it all is, eventually she is going to win.  Denny.

The convenience of a slip had a huge impact on how our family used our boat. We tend to make several trips more out on the lake each summer due to the convenience. In the past it would not have been worth the effort to get the boat ready and trailer it for an hour or two or cruising...now we do that all the time. 

That being said we kept ours in a wet slip for 1 season and within a month the hull was covered in nasty growth. It had a big impact in the boats performance and made the end of the year cleanup a challenge. My wife and I started to clean the hull ourselves with some fancy chemicals and a pressure washer. After a few hours our progress was minimal, stress level was high, and our marriage was in danger :huh:. Went inside and called a shop that did it for us...might just be the best money I have ever spentB).

After that we moved to a covered slip with a lift and have never looked back. 

Thanks for all the replies.  We decided on a 32' covered slip with a 10x14 buildout to sit and enjoy as well.  It also has a lift to keep the boat out of the water.  We're looking forward to no launching and dealing with the idiots at the ramp. 

At a previous dock I had a slip that I could watch the boat ramp. It provided many hours of entertainment watching what went on.   

Covered slip is a must where I am at.