cyclops2

AAAGGGHHHH

3 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Where is our springtime weather !!:beat-dead-horse:

AN old saying, spring is just around the corner, problem is which street is it on.  Denny.

11 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Where is our springtime weather !!:beat-dead-horse:

Yesterday was a beautiful day up here in the good old state of Massachusetts.  I worked on the boat from 8am until 7 pm,  non-stop because I had so much to do to get it ready and missed so many other days because of the rain.  I'll be out there all day today as well and it's going to be 85 degrees. 

I'm actually not worried about not being on the water this Memorial Day Weekend since it's out of control, even on the ocean.  But I wouldn't have minded if I was! lol

7 hours ago, Denny said:

AN old saying, spring is just around the corner, problem is which street is it on.  Denny.

Good one!

I spent all day replacing stuff on the 16' Aluminum fish boat. standing on concrete was / is not pleasant anymore. I too have finished the required work. But the river is sill rising rapidly.

I will be using the grassy area of the PWC launch area to set a big Fluke anchor into the LAND MASS. 2 more inches & I will be wearing boots If I want to reach the floating docks.

People Are NOT in town at all . Terrible for all businesses................  Mother Nature is doing her thing up here.

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

I spent all day replacing stuff on the 16' Aluminum fish boat. standing on concrete was / is not pleasant anymore. I too have finished the required work.

I still got a little ways to go, but man did I got some @#$%@# done today.  A lot of the rusty stainless steel poles for the bimini, the bow and swim platform ladders and all the thru-hulls I went at it this special concoction I came up with that works great.  But these spots are really annoying and time-consuming to clear out and then polish the SS.

bSfVr1a.jpg

HvzyzPP.jpg

Then I jumped on the drive and sprayed a couple of antifouling coats.  Shame it's a flat paint that takes over the nice, shiny Volvo spray paint I put on over the primer.  But the more the better for the corrosion.

YSE5clR.jpg

Then my little hunter brought me another gift and put it right on my workshop table.  Yesterday was a chipmunk baby, felt bad for those guys they were so little and couldn't even run half their regular speed.  Made for easy targets for my little hunter.

5rCdr00.jpg

Then I mixed some more resin and glass for the anchor locker.

k9jKWcr.jpg

Also antifouled my trim tabs.  Just need to put on some new anodes on them.

pbayQ4D.jpg

And Clops, you and Curt would be really proud of yours truly on the anchor roller which was still bugging me in this one little spot that I took it off again (and that is a pain with all 8 of those bolts with locknuts in a very tight and awkward position) and put if on some 2xx4s on the concrete foundations and went nuts on it with the rubber mallet back and forth about 12 times until I actually got it to sit on the bow as perfectly as it's ever going to get.  I'm actually really happy with it finally.  Laid out all the wiring and the platform is all ready so I'll be connecting it tomorrow and testing it.  I took pics of all that with my new Note 9 but it won't download on my laptop.

My concoction worked really well on all those rusty spots on the ladders and bimini poles etc.  Even worked wonders on the swim platform SS spray hose and the slide-up cover for it.  All the metal looks brand new, very happy with the way it turned out.  And it wasn't much work, either.

63KZAIv.jpg

FcwW52K.jpg

All those push-buttons to slide the poles up and down were loaded with crap and now they're all shiny and smooth.

H8qyGz4.jpg

I was going to try and get my boat in Memorial weekend. But the weather has interfered with trying to get things done.  Finally yesterday I am all finished but decided not to launch because its going to rain all week. Plus, its really cold down along the water. 

The other day, I went down to the marina to check out the new restaurant and drop my lines at my slip. It was really warm inland. Drove down with my air conditioning on. But when I got out of the car at the marina, I had to put on my jacket and winter hat. COLD! 

So as the day wore on yesterday and with the forecast for this week, I decided not to launch. Crappy weather and its too cold anyways.  Boats been out of storage for 3 weeks.

Plus as Hatem says, the holiday crazies were likely out. But as I rode my bike around the other day, lots of boats still sitting in dry dock with shrink wrap still on. Half our marina, slips are still empty.  And to think, the sun is almost at its peak and will begin heading south in several weeks. Hahaha its gonna snow!

NOBODY WAS OUT at Clayton, N Y on the St. Lawrence river.  Almost record high water. As water rises. BIG submerged loge , ropes, plastic sheets. EVERYTHING is floating around. The floating dock trap anything including part of old wood power line poles.  You break down. NOBODY NEAR YOU.  911. USCG . Towboat. I told my boating friends I will not motor out to help anyone. I still have both boats in storage. Tourist season is now worst than 2017 start..........  Free filled sand bags.  are the only jobs available here.

I am ONLY driving with CRUISE CONTROL on.  Towns will have to raise money with tickets.

I just placed a order for a model airplane to modify for Radio Control use. I can not justify / risk going out in that junkyard.

Play with safer toys for a while.

1 hour ago, SST said:

Plus as Hatem says, the holiday crazies were likely out. But as I rode my bike around the other day, lots of boats still sitting in dry dock with shrink wrap still on. Half our marina, slips are still empty.  And to think, the sun is almost at its peak and will begin heading south in several weeks. Hahaha its gonna snow!

Yeah it seems like a late start for a lot of people this year, doesn't it?  Despite the crazies, I do wish we were out there, though, because the weather was unreal!

Good Grief Charlie Brown !!

That looks like a dead boat going to a burial plot

Well, pray for good weather and it shall be resurrected!

10 hours ago, SST said:

Nothing to do but wait

IMG-1364.jpg

She looks awfully lonely and cold sitting there.  Denny.

Looking at the forecast, it appears that Friday is the day to launch with a chance of thunderstorms through the whole weekend. But what is really annoying is the forecasted temps. Through mid-week next week, all below 70.  At this rate, Lake Erie is gonna be a cold lake. The only plus side to that is very slow bottom growth. If Lake Erie is 50 degrees, I'm not jumping in to give the bottom a scrub! 

9 minutes ago, SST said:

Looking at the forecast, it appears that Friday is the day to launch with a chance of thunderstorms through the whole weekend. But what is really annoying is the forecasted temps. Through mid-week next week, all below 70.  At this rate, Lake Erie is gonna be a cold lake. The only plus side to that is very slow bottom growth. If Lake Erie is 50 degrees, I'm not jumping in to give the bottom a scrub! 

Same forecast here as well.  I'm planning on launching Friday also now that almost everything that l wanted to do on the boat is done except the windless switch which I can do in the slip and also the bilge vent covers.  I need to take those off, find a couple of studs that fell off of them and reconnect them with some 5 minute epoxy and when I put them back on, I'm sealing the entire top since I'm convinced now that's where a lot of the rain water comes in from.  Really poorly done factory work on those.  The studs are 3/16" and the holes they drilled for them through the hull are almost an inch wide lol!  So they had to put 1-1/4" washers on them.  No wonder they leak like a sivv. 

And I discovered water in one of the hoses that connects to one of those air vents.  2 of them are connected to the blowers which are screwed down and this 3rd one was just floating around.  So I tied it off to a clip with a zip tie last spring and just the other day I went to move it and noticed it was heavy!?  I disconnect the zip tie to drop the hose end and out comes a bunch of water!  Those air vents (at least on my boat) are not well designed.

Other than that, can't wait to get out there and smell that ocean air, maybe even catch a striped bass or two.  Oh and when I went to check my slip last week, there was a boat in it and all sorts of crap all over the dock.  I knocked on the window and some lady pops her head out of the hatch.  I proceed to explain that's my slip and it's all paid for and that I'll be coming into it in a few days, kinda politely telling her she needs to scram and the attitude I got back from her was almost like I was needlessly bothering her lol.  Some people,  I tell ya.

I understand completely about "some people." The "crew" last year at my first slip were horrible. They were the reason I moved to an oversized floating dock. People are much nicer and don't help themselves to my stuff cuz they already have it.  DUH! haha

The biggest water entry for me are the rear vents for the engine compartment during a rain storm.  It fooled me for quite some time. So for prevention, I cut some rectangular pieces of plastic pool cover [its thin] and lay it over the vent and then snap the boat cover into place which holds the plastic over the vents.  Still I'd get water in because the wind would blow the plastic up and hold it up. So to keep the plastic from blowing up, I drop a foot of dock line over it which weights it down and prevents it from being blown out of position. Problem solved and not a penny spent.

33 minutes ago, SST said:

I understand completely about "some people." The "crew" last year at my first slip were horrible. They were the reason I moved to an oversized floating dock. People are much nicer and don't help themselves to my stuff cuz they already have it.  DUH! haha

The biggest water entry for me are the rear vents for the engine compartment during a rain storm.  It fooled me for quite some time. So for prevention, I cut some rectangular pieces of plastic pool cover [its thin] and lay it over the vent and then snap the boat cover into place which holds the plastic over the vents.  Still I'd get water in because the wind would blow the plastic up and hold it up. So to keep the plastic from blowing up, I drop a foot of dock line over it which weights it down and prevents it from being blown out of position. Problem solved and not a penny spent.

I need to do the same thing.  I was actually surprised on how much water blows into the side vents.  The later Sig 300s used a bottom opening vent.  I've been looking for used ones to swap out.  

15 hours ago, Roady68 said:

I need to do the same thing.  I was actually surprised on how much water blows into the side vents.  The later Sig 300s used a bottom opening vent.  I've been looking for used ones to swap out.  

Check this out.  Now I know mine are different than yours but it's probably along the same principles of poor design and execution.  I just took these pics 10 minutes ago and look at the direction the louvers on those SS vent covers are facing!?  Directly into the oncoming waves/water and they're also facing a bit upward to collect rain!!!!

7hOZ9j2.jpg

And you can see the cover doesn't really go over the top edge of that slat so if it's not tight all the way across the top (and of course it's nowhere near tight and I'll show you why in a second) then water gets right behind it and down and into those louvers thanks to the way they're direction!  Those should be facing downwards and backwards.  Just poorly designed.  It just seems that it was drawn up to look good only and not consideration for water intrusion whatsoever.

So this is what I was talking about before to SST.  This is the top end of that slat and the stud that's supposed to be glued to that end separated and fell down behind the battery switch or storage bin under the sink but look at the size of that hole!!!!!  THAT is supposed to let in a 3/16" diameter threaded stud.  So they drilled a 1-inch hole to be sure that 3/16th makes it through! :haha-7383:

4Xpaqp9.jpg

:clapsmiley:

Hatem,

Curious, are your louvers facing forward on both sides of the boat? On mine, one set is facing forward to provide forced air into the engine compartment while on the move and the other set is facing rearward to provide an outflow vent while moving and for the blower.

5 hours ago, SST said:

Hatem,

Curious, are your louvers facing forward on both sides of the boat? On mine, one set is facing forward to provide forced air into the engine compartment while on the move and the other set is facing rearward to provide an outflow vent while moving and for the blower.

As it should be.  If not, there is a problem. 

I will say he is right, poor design. But I don't think he gets why there facing that way.  That cowling should come lower down. It would act like a air scoupe and improve air flow. Also help preventing water from getting in.

19 hours ago, SST said:

Hatem,

Yep, they're all facing that way, all 6 of them.  And they don't need to.  That engine compartment gets plenty of air from all the gaps from those vents even if the louvers were pointed downwards and slightly backwards (which they will be by the end of today) and from the engine hatch, from all the airflow that is wide open from the anchor locker through the sides and gunnels to the forward and center ski lockers and into the engine.  If they really wanted the engine to "breathe" they could've added a ram air induction just like my WS6 but that would probably be a disaster the way they do things since water would probably come gushing in, even though on my TA, the "nostrils" couldn't be more forward and rain & weather facing than they are!  Yet it's designed to guard against any water coming in and not a drop.  My K&N filter is dry as a bone always, although I rarely drive it in the rain anyway.

So starboard, the two rear hoses are attached to the blowers and I'm positive waters comes in through both of them and past the fans on the two motors and drip down the bilge.  See the 3rd one forward that I have tied upwards with a zip tie.  Well, untied it again yesterday and about a pint of water came out.  We'll see what happens once I turn those louvered grills AND fix/seal the slat covers if that helps with any rain water coming in.  And you can see behind the two hoses for the blowers on the bilge floor where it's a bit dirty, that's water.  That's what pissses me off.

D3N0dHN.jpg

So this is the missing PLASTIC loool stud that's supposed to go into that one, 1" diameter hole and hold the end of the slat in lmfao!  And of course, the hugeah washer loool.

aCRF7ly.jpg

Works better I think if you put the gaddam 5200 on the mating surfaces and clamp it on for a few minutes, not just around the outside edge!

1plyuV9.jpg