Top Speed Question

I'm 12 hours into my new 2019 277  SSX with a 350HP  VP Engine.  Top speed only getting to 44MPH which is extremely disappointing considering I was led to believe it was a 50MPH boat.  Any one else having similar issues or any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, aarnie64 said:

I'm 12 hours into my new 2019 277  SSX with a 350HP  VP Engine.  Top speed only getting to 44MPH which is extremely disappointing considering I was led to believe it was a 50MPH boat.  Any one else having similar issues or any thoughts? 

What are your RPM's at WOT?

1 minute ago, delaney said:

what is your prop size?

It’s a Volvo Penta. Assuming it’s not the forward drive, props should be FH5s or FH4s. 

12 hours is a little early to be WOT. 

Perhaps the exact motor and drive will be posted, along with RPM’s.

Whoa! dont go WOT with 12 hours. Like above says. You need a good GPS speed reading. I use my marine radio. and rpm numbers. I am pretty good with speed and props. Post up your results and then use a slip calculator. 

Normal slip is between 9-14%, A labbed prop will get you 3-6% slip. 

Volvo recs 20 hours on the clock or various RPM and NO WOT.  Look at your owners manual and you will see oil usage until rings seat. Too much RPM will glaze your rings and you will burn up oil. After 20 hours change your oil. VP and other use special break in oil. 

https://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/

4 hours ago, Jjlai724 said:

You might have too much fuel, gear, and people.  Most manufactures are getting top speed numbers with 2 people, minimum safety gear and 1/4 tank of fuel.  No anchor, water, ice chest, etc.  

No, he has a tight engine that needs to be broken in more by alternating rpm for a while.... 12 hours and trying to go all out is too aggressive. Give it time to break in... Oil change and another 20 hours before going balls to the wall....

On 5/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, aarnie64 said:

Your speed is going to vary a bunch I am personally a huge speed demon and blast around in my Baja. Wife and i take both our boats even when its just us two. You really need to take some stick time and get used to your boat, it takes time to get the best speed out of it. Variables can change you top speed as noted above. even weight placement, water load sea conditions atmosphere etc. Just be patient and let that motor break in then thrash that sucker all you want. remember that the Volvo ECM is very sensitive to octane too. It will produce more power with higher octane. Learn to drive it. 

ENGINES HAVE A 10-HOUR BREAK-IN PERIOD AS FOLLOWS:

1ST HOUR

1ST HOUR //

Warm up engine to operating temp. (5-10 minutes)
Zero - half on the throttle
Vary your engine speed between zero-half throttle. (5-10 minutes)
No tow sports

2ND HOUR

2ND HOUR //

Zero - 3/4 on the throttle (5-10 minutes)
Vary your engine speed between zero-3/4 on throttle. (5-10 minutes)
No tow sports

3RD - 10TH HOUR

3RD - 10TH HOUR //

Zero - full on the throttle (5-10 minutes)
Vary your engine speed between zero-full throttle. (5-10 minutes)
Tow sports OK

AFTER 20 HOURS

AFTER 20 HOURS //

Change the engine oil and filter for the first time.
Outdrive / lower unit oil change is due

You may equal that 50 mph after break-in. But that is with a light load. Put 4 people in it and you will

be mid  to upper 40's at WOT. So just tell yourself it's a 45mph boat, and smile if you can see a 50 mph

reading on GPS on a rare occasion.

Agree with you Dgiles. 

The drive is to reduce the need to drive the boat slightly crooked from prop rotation torque in 1 direction.. it does require extra gear power losses & prop blade pumping losses..  All well worth it when docking in bad conditions.