AR0521

Opinion on engine replacement

Hello, over the last ten years I have read a lot of great advice on this site so I a reaching out to my fellow owners for an opinion. I  own my 215 SSI cuddy for 10 years, purchased brand new in 2010 for 30,000.00 (long story but  that was the in the banking crisis). I have about 410 hours on the 4.3 GXI Volvo Penta and other than a fuel sensor and routine maintenance (oil and filter, plugs ) have never had any trouble. At the end of last season it was when the fuel sensor went right by Barnegat Inlet in the bay and Boat US towed me out. $210.00 later it was fixed and running. This year I noticed a significant amount of corrosion on the exterior of the riser, also had a hose ride of the housing and douse the engine with a good amount of sea water. When I went to the marine mechanic he recommended changing the manifold. riser. water pump. thermoset, water impeller also the fire suppression system extinguisher is no longer reading that it is charged. Ever since I installed the dual battery (boat came with single battery), my tach has no read properly (rpm all over the place). Enough history, I was quoted about 3,000.00 for the work needed on the boat. After getting stuck I began to get the unnerving feeling that when I on the water something else is going to malfunction, lost some of the confidence I had always took for granted.

So, I looked into a new engine and according to the sites they go for about 9.500.00+ about 2000 to install (guessing). The boat is in pristine condition, no bottom paint and looks like it did 10 years ago, so an engine replacement would really bring the boat whole again. If I sold my engine on the boat while it is still in the boat(still runs very strong w/ the exceptions  noted), I could probably get around 1.500- 2000 I believe. so my net out of pocket for the new engine instead of the maintenance would be about 6000.00. 

I My concern is that more likely than not I will need future engine internal work, which will probably be just as costly. My question is, am I insane to consider the engine change now instead of the repair ? What is your opinion ? Has any one been in this dilemma? Also, I have saved a couple of hundred each year since I owned the boat for major repairs and have about 5,000.0 sitting in account for this purpose specifically.  

Thanks in advance for reading and any insight you may be able to shed.

3 hours ago, AR0521 said:

Hello, over the last ten years I have read a lot of great advice on this site so I a reaching out to my fellow owners for an opinion. I  own my 215 SSI cuddy for 10 years, purchased brand new in 2010 for 30,000.00 (long story but  that was the in the banking crisis). I have about 410 hours on the 4.3 GXI Volvo Penta and other than a fuel sensor and routine maintenance (oil and filter, plugs ) have never had any trouble. At the end of last season it was when the fuel sensor went right by Barnegat Inlet in the bay and Boat US towed me out. $210.00 later it was fixed and running. This year I noticed a significant amount of corrosion on the exterior of the riser, also had a hose ride of the housing and douse the engine with a good amount of sea water. When I went to the marine mechanic he recommended changing the manifold. riser. water pump. thermoset, water impeller also the fire suppression system extinguisher is no longer reading that it is charged. Ever since I installed the dual battery (boat came with single battery), my tach has no read properly (rpm all over the place). Enough history, I was quoted about 3,000.00 for the work needed on the boat. After getting stuck I began to get the unnerving feeling that when I on the water something else is going to malfunction, lost some of the confidence I had always took for granted.

So, I looked into a new engine and according to the sites they go for about 9.500.00+ about 2000 to install (guessing). The boat is in pristine condition, no bottom paint and looks like it did 10 years ago, so an engine replacement would really bring the boat whole again. If I sold my engine on the boat while it is still in the boat(still runs very strong w/ the exceptions  noted), I could probably get around 1.500- 2000 I believe. so my net out of pocket for the new engine instead of the maintenance would be about 6000.00. 

I My concern is that more likely than not I will need future engine internal work, which will probably be just as costly. My question is, am I insane to consider the engine change now instead of the repair ? What is your opinion ? Has any one been in this dilemma? Also, I have saved a couple of hundred each year since I owned the boat for major repairs and have about 5,000.0 sitting in account for this purpose specifically.  

Get second and third opinions from reliable mechanics that you feel you can trust.

They do not all have to be dealer mech. find a good independent also.  Denny.

410 hours is nowhere near a new engine, or even a refresh.  The other issues are likely not related to the motor Itself and likely won’t go away with a new motor.  I wouldn’t fix what’s not broken.

If you are worried now, you should be more worried with a motor swap because you will create new gremlins.

Just my 0.02

Your tach should have a rotary switch on the back that changes it from 4 to six and 8 cylinders. With a screwdriver carefully move it around to all three positions several times. Then return it back to original position. This cleans the contacts and may fix your tach problem. Worked for me. 

A marine engine Has the same METAL GUTS inside of it.  As a car................. Any decent auto / marine mechanic can do mechanical Compression test.  Bore camera into each cylinder & check for damage. Pull valve covers & check for sludge. Check valve guides & lifters & rocker arms. Check condition of all spark plugs. Check camshaft / distributor sloppiness. Check for leaking gaskets holding water & oil where they should............. All ok ?...........Do a Ohm Meter check of all screwed in to the engine sensors when cold & hot. Check fuel pump pressures..

Those checks WILL  WILL tell any mechanic if your engine is OK STRUCTURLY to NOT be ripped apart or replaced............. Or just a lot of sensors aging. He will write up a estimated bill of engine block damage costs.  Plus the other stuff on the outside.

We need LOTS OF FACTS to do the job correctly & at the right cost.

10 hours ago, AR0521 said:

Seems pretty extreme, but if that action provides confidence, then it’s logical for you.

Everything that you’ve had done and are about to have done, is normal periodic maintenance that is required when a boat is owned for a long time. If the mechanic is competent and the shop/dealer honest, there’s nothing to worry about.

Will there be something else in the future? Yes, most likely. It’s near 10 years old after all. But, statistically the incident rate is not much different than new. Fortunately, that’s a solid motor to start with and with proper maintenance at the required times along the way, good for around 1,500 hours +.

An alternative. Develop facts to help make a decision that creates confidence. A few yes/no questions:

1) Has the motor oil, filter and outdrive gear lube been changed at least annually? 

2) Does the motor burn oil? 

3) Do a compression check on the cylinders. In specification?

Ideally the answers are Yes, No, Yes. If so, changing the motor is extreme.

Wish you well with your deliberations.

Does the value you get from the boat exceed the cost you put into it?

$9500. is way high for a new engine. I just replaced my 5.7 long block and only paid about $4K for it. Check with Michigan Motors.

His PLASTIC BOAT is in FAR better condition  than a brand new boat delivered with a bunch of new boat problems. 

You are suffering from  a condition like NEW Volvo pump fail me at any time itis. 

I would & DO KEEP good boat hulls.  All other parts............... & bad mechanics are replaced as found out.  

As Smokey the Bear would say................. ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE. 

13 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

$9500. is way high for a new engine. I just replaced my 5.7 long block and only paid about $4K for it. Check with Michigan Motors.

If a long block, you’re right. But, what he’s looking at is likely a brand new, complete, Volvo Penta repower. Drop and go. Does seem about $1,500 too high though.

410 hours is not alot.  Assuming you are doing the regular maintenance, that engine should last well over 10 years more.

Great comments and questions. Fir the first 4 or 5 years I used to have the marine shop by my house do the work, but every year I would drop the boat off in early April, start calling in Early May and get back a week before Memorial Day. After promising myself each year I would not go back, I started doing the work myself, so each year gets a oil and filter change and the basic weatherization. I run alot of anti freeze and pull the plugs and hoses. Never a lot of trouble. I have yet to do a compression check but so I may ask my mechanic to do. I feel once I drop the boat off for the riser he will not go for the engine swap.

My concern was that it may of been premature as well, and by judging the responses, it may be. I suppose I am looking to get that new boat confidence back, but that seems to be costly.

As for as  reaching the time to trade up, the answer is always, absolutely ! Two factors are stopping me. 1. I love my model boat, its small enough for play around or go out for a quick ride but has all the feature of a bigger boat. The cuddy in a nice feature that I know most boater have gotten away from but it works for me, and Chaparral has stopped making the 215 SSI cuddy. 2. New boats are really expensive, if I traded I think I would be moving towards the new Sun Sport 25, it about 70K. It;s not a cuddy, but the Cappy cabins come in bigger cruisers.

Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

If a long block, you’re right. But, what he’s looking at is likely a brand new, complete, Volvo Penta repower. Drop and go. Does seem about $1,500 too high though.

I agree, but is it wise to spend double the cost for a brand new factory engine on a nine  year old boat. Also agree that engine replacement should be the last consideration.