SST

Stern light problems

This is directed at Denny as he has the same boat and light as mine. I am using his picture as it was faster to post than getting a picture of mine loaded. 

I am having an annoying time with my stern light. I can't count that high anymore on how many times I've pulled it out, change the bulb or checked the wiring. I've thought about replacing it, but I don't like the style of lights that I've seen. The bulbs work but yet as I'm cruising along or sitting on my trailer it will just stop working. Bang my fist next to the light and it might come back on. A little jiggle and it come on again. I've considered replacing these old fashion bulbs with the new LED bulb but for 30+ deer, and not knowing for certain what's causing the problem, I'm not paying for a new LED bulb.

So, Denny, have you ever had a problem with your stern light?  My NAV and anchor lights are all the OEM and don't give me a problem. The NAV light bulb has been in use for many years. I think the forward facing anchor light might be an original. The stern light is undependable for night time ops fearing getting hit from behind. 

Do they even sell this type of stern lighting anymore?

IMG_9918.jpg

17 hours ago, SST said:

This is directed at Denny as he has the same boat and light as mine. I am using his picture as it was faster to post than getting a picture of mine loaded. 

I am having an annoying time with my stern light. I can't count that high anymore on how many times I've pulled it out, change the bulb or checked the wiring. I've thought about replacing it, but I don't like the style of lights that I've seen. The bulbs work but yet as I'm cruising along or sitting on my trailer it will just stop working. Bang my fist next to the light and it might come back on. A little jiggle and it come on again. I've considered replacing these old fashion bulbs with the new LED bulb but for 30+ deer, and not knowing for certain what's causing the problem, I'm not paying for a new LED bulb.

So, Denny, have you ever had a problem with your stern light?  My NAV and anchor lights are all the OEM and don't give me a problem. The NAV light bulb has been in use for many years. I think the forward facing anchor light might be an original. The stern light is undependable for night time ops fearing getting hit from behind. 

IMG_9918.jpg

Was replacing my high mast stern light at least twice a season as we run at night quite often and that little bulb took a beating being stuck up in the air so high.. Bought an LED 3 seasons ago and it's still in there. Did not pay anywhere near $30 for it, just searched Amazon until I found one the fit in there. LED's are polarity sensitive but by luck my existing fixture was wired correctly.  W

I disassembled it again last night. I pulled the bulb out and the filaments are still connected. I hit the switch and it came on. But while it was on, I took my pliers and lightly poked at it and it would go on and off. Not a stable situation. So I pulled the bulb out to sand paper the contacts on the assembly and the bulb and I immediately noticed that while the filaments are still in one piece and connected, the "metal cap" on one side was loose while the other side was not. I put the bulb back in and it lit up but jiggled it a little bit and it would go out.

So, I put in a new bulb and it worked...…..for now.  We'll see how long the "metal caps" on each side lasts before coming loose. I though about gluing the cap back onto the glass but those bulbs get so hot I'm afraid it would start a fire.

1 minute ago, SST said:

I disassembled it again last night. I pulled the bulb out and the filaments are still connected. I hit the switch and it came on. But while it was on, I took my pliers and lightly poked at it and it would go on and off. Not a stable situation. So I pulled the bulb out to sand paper the contacts on the assembly and the bulb and I immediately noticed that while the filaments are still in one piece and connected, the "metal cap" on one side was loose while the other side was not. I put the bulb back in and it lit up but jiggled it a little bit and it would go out.

So, I put in a new bulb and it worked...…..for now.  We'll see how long the "metal caps" on each side lasts before coming loose. I though about gluing the cap back onto the glass but those bulbs get so hot I'm afraid it would start a fire.

Nice thing about an LED is they run cold so you don't have that constant heating and cooling. W

30 minutes ago, SST said:

Do you have a close-up pic  of that light?  Hard to tell what it looks like from Denny's pic.  Also weird to understand what the heII is going on with that thing.  Is it because the cap is loose on one side that's causing the occasional loss of contact?  Or is it the connections themselves?

I believe the connection within the bulb is the problem. It is a festoon bulb. I'm about to launch so I'll try and get a pic later. 

Frost in the forecast for Monday.  Glaciers on the way.

1 hour ago, SST said:

I believe the connection within the bulb is the problem. It is a festoon bulb. I'm about to launch so I'll try and get a pic later. 

Frost in the forecast for Monday.  Glaciers on the way.

Hey good luck with the launch.  I postponed mine till Monday, still got a few more things I'd like to finish while still on the hard.  Even though it's a gorgeous day today here in MA.

With the bad bulb, the upper casing is loose but still connected to the filament which is why sometimes it worked and sometimes not. If the casing shifted just a tiny tiny bit, it would stop working.  That's why when I'd bang the transom with my hand, it would knock it back on. It would work for 30 minutes and I'd be able to see my rooster tail but then I'd look back and it would be dark....light out.  I wonder if the new LED lights in this configuration are better mfr'd and will not disconnect.

When shopping at WM, the only LED lights that I've seen in the store were around 30. A brief online search saw bulbs for much lower. All were 31mm. I looked at my box of spare bulbs and it doesn't say the size in MM.  I should have written it down but one number I remember was something like part number 72.  

BTW, when I launched yesterday, it was the fastest launch on record. I usually launch on my own which means getting my feet wet which I don't mind. But my friend came with me and I disconnected all the trailer strapes before backing down [I got bunks]. As I backed in, my friend held the dock lines and once it floated off the trailer, he pulled the boat away and once it was clear, I drove away.  Couldn't have taken more than two minutes to back down, splash and drive away. Feet are dry. 

IMG-1366.jpg

On 5/30/2019 at 11:00 AM, SST said:

IMG_9918.jpg

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, been out of the loop. No I have never had an issue with mine. What you have done is what I would have done. Clean look and wiggle things. Yours is out in the weather all the time, mine is not, that is probably why I have not had and issues. Yours looks just like mine. I would coat all of it with contact grease after you are sure it is working properly, and you should be good to go.  Denny.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, SST said:

With the bad bulb, the upper casing is loose but still connected to the filament which is why sometimes it worked and sometimes not. If the casing shifted just a tiny tiny bit, it would stop working.  That's why when I'd bang the transom with my hand, it would knock it back on. It would work for 30 minutes and I'd be able to see my rooster tail but then I'd look back and it would be dark....light out.  I wonder if the new LED lights in this configuration are better mfr'd and will not disconnect.

When shopping at WM, the only LED lights that I've seen in the store were around 30. A brief online search saw bulbs for much lower. All were 31mm. I looked at my box of spare bulbs and it doesn't say the size in MM.  I should have written it down but one number I remember was something like part number 72.

IMG-1366.jpg

Doesn't look much different than mine.  Light bulb even looks very similar.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, SST said:

BTW, when I launched yesterday, it was the fastest launch on record. I usually launch on my own which means getting my feet wet which I don't mind. But my friend came with me and I disconnected all the trailer strapes before backing down [I got bunks]. As I backed in, my friend held the dock lines and once it floated off the trailer, he pulled the boat away and once it was clear, I drove away.  Couldn't have taken more than two minutes to back down, splash and drive away. Feet are dry. 

2 minutes!  That's pretty fast.  That's how we do it.  Use a bow and stern line that either my son or wife or buddy helping me launch would hold on to them as I back down the ramp just as rear truck wheels hit the water, jump out of the truck (but then I have to chock the front wheel, makes me feel much better) and then loosen the winch a little to get her back far enough to unhook it off the boweye, then I pull the chock out, get in the truck and give it a little nudge backwards and off she goes.  I can't help, though, when pulling up the ramp to look behind to be sure they didn't lose the boat. 

BTW, this year I have to loosen all 12 3/4" bolts on the winch to lower it and pull it forward to be sure the windlass doesn't get caught on it and ripped off.  That's gonna be fun.